Don’t expect Derrick Rose or the Bulls to announce he’ll sit out the season

Apr 7, 2013, 2:00 PM EST

Trail Blazers Bulls Basketball AP

There have never been so many non-update updates to an injury situation as there have been with Derrick Rose this season.

It speaks to both the player’s popularity, as well as to how much he means to the city of Chicago and the Bulls franchise.

And all of that, combined with Rose’s work ethic and desire to get back on the court in any capacity, is why it’s highly unlikely that either he or the Bulls would officially announce that he won’t return this season.

From K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune:

Derrick Rose disputed the theory he’s waiting until next season to play so that he can return without a minutes limit and said he would keep open the option of returning from knee surgery even during a Bulls’ playoff run.

“Oh, no,” Rose said, when asked if he’d announce he’s sitting out this season. “I’m keeping it open.”

“I’m not trying to think about that right now,” Rose said. “I’m just trying to get better. I’m just trying to help my teammates, give them confidence to go out there and play hard. I’ll play whenever I’m ready to play. Who knows when I’m ready to? Right now, all I can do is just cheer on my teammates.”

Rose went on to dispel the notion that he wouldn’t want to return while still under any type of minutes restriction.

So again, this isn’t really an update, because nothing has changed as far as Rose’s status is concerned. He’s still working out and practicing with his teammates in an effort to get back to feeling comfortable enough to play, and doing so this season remains an option.

1. kyd29 - Apr 7, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Lol…this guy is a joke

• chicitybulls - Apr 8, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Almost as big a one as you. lmao

2. eboneseagles - Apr 7, 2013 at 2:19 PM

This is so annoying, it’s fine if he doesn’t feel like coming back this season, but the constant flip flopping and idiotic media rumors need to stop.

3. dalucks - Apr 7, 2013 at 2:50 PM

It would be kinda obvious when he does not play this season after the playoffs end.
    But for those people who did not notice, thanks for the article.

4. mcnannal - Apr 7, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Reblogged this on The Return of Derrick Rose.

5. eventhorizon04 - Apr 7, 2013 at 3:36 PM

It’s up to Rose whenever he wants to play, but as the Bulls get closer to the playoffs, that leaves less time for Rose to get up to speed and get to a point where he’s a positive contributor. The recent returns of fellow guards with serious knee injuries – Ricky Rubio, Iman Shumpert, and John Wall – suggest that ideally, Rose should have had a few weeks of games to get into game-shape and regain rhythm. Optimistically, he’ll have a week and a half at most before the playoffs to do that, and that’s if he starts playing very soon.

Looking ahead: The Bulls have 7 games left: @Pistons, Raptors, Knicks, @Raptors, @Heat, @Magic, Wizards.

Given the way Rose was talking in that interview, I’m guessing he won’t play in their next game @Pistons. 6 games to get comfortable on the court is pushing it but still doable.

• gmsingh - Apr 8, 2013 at 4:09 PM

How is it “up to Derrick” when he plays if he’s got a $90 million contract? That’s the biggest crock I’ve ever heard. John Paxson traded all the good players and had written off the entire season before it started, and now he’s sitting Derrick to further waste the time of the best coach in basketball. It’s the media’s fault–they don’t seem to have the scope to know when to blame the front office.

6. edwardsro - Apr 7, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Guarantee rose wont be back this season. He is clearly scared.

• chicitybulls - Apr 8, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Yeah, he’s scared. Because you know him and have talked to him.

7. ncarolinarn7 - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Rose is someone I would remove from my roster. To risky, a prima donna, he’s to precious to himself to play team ball. Give me 2 hard nosed blue collar lunch pale guys any day.

• blugold94 - Apr 7, 2013 at 9:54 PM

and I’m sure you’ll enjoy those 27-55 seasons with your “lunch pale” guys.

8. blueballz77 - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:34 PM

He’s definitely shook. Its his knee come back when he’s “Mentally”ready cus at this point that’s what it is a mental thing.

9. ultichiva - Apr 7, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Looks Like The BuLLs Are iN Tank Mode for the 6TH seed; As We Know athe 4/5 Seeds draw Miami…

• ultichiva - Apr 8, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Seeing how the effort they gave against Thee Pisssd-ONS.

10. lemfax - Apr 8, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Bulls are good w/o a rose

11. jjones314 - Apr 8, 2013 at 12:30 AM

I understand both sides of the argument. Those that side with he should wait until he’s all the way ready physically and mentally. I get that…

But man, it might be time to suit up and play some ball. He might not be able to attack the rim like he use to but at some point you gotta get back out there and give it a go.

But I do not think Rose is a “Diva” at all. Not at all.

12. asublimeday - Apr 8, 2013 at 12:32 AM

——

Lunch PAIL?

Man, this site makes me laugh every day. Where the Heat “fan” Bulls haters at?

13. fanofevilempire - Apr 8, 2013 at 6:45 AM

Rose should retire and do us all a favor.

• chicitybulls - Apr 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Or maybe you can retire from commenting and do US all a favor.

• fanofevilempire - Apr 8, 2013 at 1:10 PM

get lost loser and take Rose with you.
        and that’s that!

14. dysraw1 - Apr 8, 2013 at 11:33 AM

the mental part his obviously his problem ive experience torn meniscus so i do understand about the confidence to stand on our own two, the risks are very high early on that he could damage that same knee permanantly so his precautions are a valid thing. nobody can call when a person is ready mentally & physically

• fanofevilempire - Apr 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Mike Golic of Mike and Mike said he should play.
      I guess espn knows better than D-Rose.

15. blugold94 - Apr 8, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Well, that clinches it…..Mike Golic says so. Forget everything else. But wait…what did Mike Greenberg say? If only one Mike says so does it make it true?

• fanofevilempire - Apr 8, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Golic said he owed it to his team.
      Please relax, I didn’t say Golic was right, I just
      wanted to inform people on what Rose should do as per espn.
      Now stop being bitchy with me.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches