Apr 7, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
There have never been so many non-update updates to an injury situation as there have been with Derrick Rose this season.
It speaks to both the player’s popularity, as well as to how much he means to the city of Chicago and the Bulls franchise.
And all of that, combined with Rose’s work ethic and desire to get back on the court in any capacity, is why it’s highly unlikely that either he or the Bulls would officially announce that he won’t return this season.
Derrick Rose disputed the theory he’s waiting until next season to play so that he can return without a minutes limit and said he would keep open the option of returning from knee surgery even during a Bulls’ playoff run.
“Oh, no,” Rose said, when asked if he’d announce he’s sitting out this season. “I’m keeping it open.”
“I’m not trying to think about that right now,” Rose said. “I’m just trying to get better. I’m just trying to help my teammates, give them confidence to go out there and play hard. I’ll play whenever I’m ready to play. Who knows when I’m ready to? Right now, all I can do is just cheer on my teammates.”
Rose went on to dispel the notion that he wouldn’t want to return while still under any type of minutes restriction.
So again, this isn’t really an update, because nothing has changed as far as Rose’s status is concerned. He’s still working out and practicing with his teammates in an effort to get back to feeling comfortable enough to play, and doing so this season remains an option.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 12
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 7
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 1
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 21
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (39)