Michael Beasley says he’s stopped listening to everybody, including his coaches

Apr 6, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

PHOENIX — Michael Beasley put together a stellar performance for the second straight game on Friday, pouring in 25 points on 12-17 shooting to keep the Suns within striking distance during their closer-than-expected loss to the Warriors.

The effort against Golden State came after a 13-point outing in 17 minutes of playing time during a 25-point loss at the hands of the Clippers, a performance that Suns interim head coach Lindsey Hunter called Beasley’s best overall game of the season.

While Hunter may like to believe he’s had a positive effect on Beasley’s development in the short time he’s been in charge, the fact is that Beasley is his own man, and has taken matters into his own hands.

Speaking to reporters after the loss to the Warriors, Beasley credited his recent improved play to tuning out everyone around him, while listening only to himself.

“I’ve stopped listening to people, and I’m just doing what I know how to do,” Beasley said.

When asked what people specifically Beasley has stopped listening to, no one was excluded from his list — not even his coaches.

“Everybody,” he said. “Just everybody, from my friends, to family, to teammates, to coaches.”

The “coaches” remark didn’t go unnoticed. Aren’t the coaches there to help?

“Yeah, definitely,” he said. “But at the same time, I’m the one out there in the fire. The coach can tell me what he sees from a third party perspective, but I’m seeing it first hand. Once I set a screen and I roll, and another guy steps up … if he doesn’t step up, I’ve got a jump shot. Or, I can go around him, or I’ve got [a teammate] for a dunk. There’s so many things that I can do that only my instincts can tell me.”

Lindsey Hunter may have noticed Beasley’s recent propensity to tune others out. He mentioned something he’s been doing in practice to try to make sure Beasley is in fact paying attention.

“He’s had some great practices, and I’ve been on him about paying attention,” Hunter said. “I’m constantly watching him, making sure, and I’ll randomly just ask him, what did a certain coach just say? Just to keep him focused in it. And he’s like, ‘coach, I’m not talking.’ I said, I know. But you’re listening to somebody. You’re doing something, because you’re not listening to what we’re telling you.”

This is a lost season for the Suns, and there are only a handful of games remaining over the next couple of weeks. Beasley’s improved play, should it continue, will undoubtedly be seen as a positive, no matter what the reasons are behind it.

His current head coach couldn’t care less what those reasons might be.

“Whatever his motivation is, then let it be that,” Hunter said. “I don’t really care.”

Latest Posts
  1. Wednesday And-1 links: Youths who entered Ray Allen’s home charged with trespassing

Aug 20, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Practice Day And Media Availability Getty Images

Including a link to the trailers of the STARZ show LeBron James is producing loosely based on his life

2. Derrick Rose held out of USA exhibition vs. Dominican Republic, technically ‘coach’s decision’

Aug 20, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT

Derrick Rose Derrick Rose

Rose hasn’t practiced since playing 24 minutes in Saturday’s win over Brazil.

3. Warriors’ Nemanja Nedovic to miss FIBA World Cup

Aug 20, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT

Portland Trail Blazers v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Nedovic had hoped to play for Serbia, but couldn’t get medical clearance.

4. Kevin Durant: Stephen Curry ‘is terrible’ in NBA2K

Aug 20, 2014, 5:07 PM EDT

Stephen Curry Stephen Curry

Video game Curry doesn’t come close to shooting as well as the real life version.

5. Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe

Aug 20, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

If Bledsoe decides to play for the qualifying offer, he’ll almost certainly bolt as an unrestricted free agent next summer.

6. Nene says playing Anthony Davis is like fighting Dhalsim from Street Fighter

Aug 20, 2014, 2:04 PM EDT

dhalsim_street_fighter

Strangest comparison ever. And pretty accurate.

7. Report: Heat trying to add shooting guard, another big but for veteran minimum

Aug 20, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT

Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade AP

Miami could use the depth, but at this point the pickings are slim.

8. Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline

Aug 20, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT

New York Knicks  v Philadelphia 76ers Getty Images

Move would be purely financial for Philadelphia, but if Stoudemire is contributing at that time, Knicks may pass.

9. Stephen Curry says he, Klay Thompson would be best NBA Jam duo in NBA

Aug 20, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Best NBA Jam duo on a current team? Give me Durant and Westbrook.

10. Lakers top 10 plays of the 2013-14 season (VIDEO)

Aug 19, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Highlights only serve as a reminder of just how bad things were in Los Angeles.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches