Michael Beasley says he’s stopped listening to everybody, including his coaches

Apr 6, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

PHOENIX — Michael Beasley put together a stellar performance for the second straight game on Friday, pouring in 25 points on 12-17 shooting to keep the Suns within striking distance during their closer-than-expected loss to the Warriors.

The effort against Golden State came after a 13-point outing in 17 minutes of playing time during a 25-point loss at the hands of the Clippers, a performance that Suns interim head coach Lindsey Hunter called Beasley’s best overall game of the season.

While Hunter may like to believe he’s had a positive effect on Beasley’s development in the short time he’s been in charge, the fact is that Beasley is his own man, and has taken matters into his own hands.

Speaking to reporters after the loss to the Warriors, Beasley credited his recent improved play to tuning out everyone around him, while listening only to himself.

“I’ve stopped listening to people, and I’m just doing what I know how to do,” Beasley said.

When asked what people specifically Beasley has stopped listening to, no one was excluded from his list — not even his coaches.

“Everybody,” he said. “Just everybody, from my friends, to family, to teammates, to coaches.”

The “coaches” remark didn’t go unnoticed. Aren’t the coaches there to help?

“Yeah, definitely,” he said. “But at the same time, I’m the one out there in the fire. The coach can tell me what he sees from a third party perspective, but I’m seeing it first hand. Once I set a screen and I roll, and another guy steps up … if he doesn’t step up, I’ve got a jump shot. Or, I can go around him, or I’ve got [a teammate] for a dunk. There’s so many things that I can do that only my instincts can tell me.”

Lindsey Hunter may have noticed Beasley’s recent propensity to tune others out. He mentioned something he’s been doing in practice to try to make sure Beasley is in fact paying attention.

“He’s had some great practices, and I’ve been on him about paying attention,” Hunter said. “I’m constantly watching him, making sure, and I’ll randomly just ask him, what did a certain coach just say? Just to keep him focused in it. And he’s like, ‘coach, I’m not talking.’ I said, I know. But you’re listening to somebody. You’re doing something, because you’re not listening to what we’re telling you.”

This is a lost season for the Suns, and there are only a handful of games remaining over the next couple of weeks. Beasley’s improved play, should it continue, will undoubtedly be seen as a positive, no matter what the reasons are behind it.

His current head coach couldn’t care less what those reasons might be.

“Whatever his motivation is, then let it be that,” Hunter said. “I don’t really care.”

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin

Aug 4, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT

Washington Wizards v Charlotte Hornets Getty Images

He will battle Kyle O’Quinn to backup Robin Lopez.

2. Corey Brewer excited to reunite with Ty Lawson, spark Houston

Aug 4, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT

Denver Nuggets vs Houston Rockets Getty Images

Lawson and Brewer put up impressive offensive numbers together in Denver.

3. Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one

Aug 4, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT

alternate2-details

I’m no fashion critic, but they’re not bad.

4. Andrea Bargnani says he would have played “for free” to prove himself with Nets

Aug 4, 2015, 9:14 AM EDT

Andrea Bargnani AP

Somehow I bet he still cashes his paychecks rather than actually playing for free.

5. Morris twins lawyers seek to send case back to grand jury

Aug 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Phoenix Suns Media Day Getty Images

The Morris twins have denied any involvement, or even knowing the victim.

6. Mavericks’ coach Rick Carlisle says team will err on side of caution with Wesley Matthews return

Aug 4, 2015, 1:05 AM EDT

New York Knicks v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

Thinking long-term is the smart approach, the only one the Mavericks should consider

7. Kobe Bryant’s popularity in China knows no bounds

Aug 3, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwzjzdnimmu0mmfiyjq3nwrlytblymy1zja0mgnhnmiw AP

Kobe Bryant is Beatles during the British Invasion level popular in China.

8. Report: Nets doing Earl Clark a favor and waiving him

Aug 3, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Atlanta Hawks- Game One Getty Images

Brooklyn could have easily kept Clark through training camp

9. Jerry Colangelo: Paul George will attend USA Basketball minicamp meeting, won’t play

Aug 3, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT

Team USA Showcase Getty Images

Pacers star maintains status as lock for 2016 Olympic roster – if he wants to play

10. Klay Thompson’s brother called up to the White Sox

Aug 3, 2015, 8:16 PM EDT

Chicago White Sox v Kansas City Royals Getty Images

Trayce Thompson gives Thompson family yet another professional athlete

11. LeBron James to attend Team USA minicamp, leave early

Aug 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT

US forward LeBron James celebrates after Getty Images

That’ll keep him a viable candidate for 2016 Olympic roster

12. Report: Mavericks give Salah Mejri fully guaranteed salary

Aug 3, 2015, 5:36 PM EDT

BASKET-EURL-ANADOLU EFES-REAL MADRID Getty Images

Dallas loading up on players. What will roster look like in November?

13. Nancy Lieberman says DeMarcus Cousins happy Kings hired her

Aug 3, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT

Nancy Lieberman Nancy Lieberman

Will new Sacramento assistant coach improve Cousins’ relationship with George Karl?

14. Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire”

Aug 3, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT

Ray Allen AP

“I didn’t miss it. I realized how much time I missed not being home with my kids.” —Ray Allen on last season

Top 10 NBA Player Searches