Michael Beasley says he’s stopped listening to everybody, including his coaches

Apr 6, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

PHOENIX — Michael Beasley put together a stellar performance for the second straight game on Friday, pouring in 25 points on 12-17 shooting to keep the Suns within striking distance during their closer-than-expected loss to the Warriors.

The effort against Golden State came after a 13-point outing in 17 minutes of playing time during a 25-point loss at the hands of the Clippers, a performance that Suns interim head coach Lindsey Hunter called Beasley’s best overall game of the season.

While Hunter may like to believe he’s had a positive effect on Beasley’s development in the short time he’s been in charge, the fact is that Beasley is his own man, and has taken matters into his own hands.

Speaking to reporters after the loss to the Warriors, Beasley credited his recent improved play to tuning out everyone around him, while listening only to himself.

“I’ve stopped listening to people, and I’m just doing what I know how to do,” Beasley said.

When asked what people specifically Beasley has stopped listening to, no one was excluded from his list — not even his coaches.

“Everybody,” he said. “Just everybody, from my friends, to family, to teammates, to coaches.”

The “coaches” remark didn’t go unnoticed. Aren’t the coaches there to help?

“Yeah, definitely,” he said. “But at the same time, I’m the one out there in the fire. The coach can tell me what he sees from a third party perspective, but I’m seeing it first hand. Once I set a screen and I roll, and another guy steps up … if he doesn’t step up, I’ve got a jump shot. Or, I can go around him, or I’ve got [a teammate] for a dunk. There’s so many things that I can do that only my instincts can tell me.”

Lindsey Hunter may have noticed Beasley’s recent propensity to tune others out. He mentioned something he’s been doing in practice to try to make sure Beasley is in fact paying attention.

“He’s had some great practices, and I’ve been on him about paying attention,” Hunter said. “I’m constantly watching him, making sure, and I’ll randomly just ask him, what did a certain coach just say? Just to keep him focused in it. And he’s like, ‘coach, I’m not talking.’ I said, I know. But you’re listening to somebody. You’re doing something, because you’re not listening to what we’re telling you.”

This is a lost season for the Suns, and there are only a handful of games remaining over the next couple of weeks. Beasley’s improved play, should it continue, will undoubtedly be seen as a positive, no matter what the reasons are behind it.

His current head coach couldn’t care less what those reasons might be.

“Whatever his motivation is, then let it be that,” Hunter said. “I don’t really care.”

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Mickael Pietrus works out for Kings

Sep 18, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Portland Trail Blazers

Pietrus sat out all of last season.

2. Report: Gary Payton to assume role of ‘special advisor’ for Giannis Antetokounmpo

Sep 18, 2014, 9:31 PM EDT

Gary Payton, John Stockton AP

Looks like Bucks head coach Jason Kidd is serious about making Antetokounmpo into a point guard.

3. Nick Young tells Laker rookies to call him “Daddy Swag”

Sep 18, 2014, 5:51 PM EDT

Nick Young AP

I like the idea of calling him “scrappy feet” better.

4. Report: Timberwolves “optimistic” about Ricky Rubio extension, except nowhere close on money

Sep 18, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT

BKN-NBA-TWOLVES-LAKERS Getty Images

Expect Rubio to be a restricted free agent next summer, and he may not enjoy that experience.

5. 67RIEFNS No. 5: Victor Oladipo playing shooting guard

Sep 18, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT

Orlando Magic v New York Knicks Orlando Magic v New York Knicks

After a year at point guard, Oladipo should thrive for Magic this season

6. Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone

Sep 18, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT

Kevin Durant, Karl Malone Kevin Durant, Karl Malone

Not an expected pairing, but they can relate

7. Gregg Popovich: Heat got overconfident in NBA Finals

Sep 18, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT

LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade

Spurs coach seeking sources of motivation so his team won’t repeat the letdown

8. Coach K on those who believed he orchestrated Paul George photo: “You are a bad person’

Sep 18, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT

Team USA Showcase Getty Images

Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski defends himself after Adrian Wojnarowski paints him as opportunistic recruiter

9. Report: NBA sleeved jerseys not selling well

Sep 18, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT

Miami Heat v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

How much longer will NBA keep pushing them?

10. Report: Timberwolves readying to buy out J.J. Barea

Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Minnesota Timberwolves v Los Angeles Clippers Minnesota Timberwolves v Los Angeles Clippers

After signing Glenn Robinson III, Minnesota has too many guaranteed contracts

11. Jordan Crawford signs in China

Sep 18, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Jordan Crawford, Jarrett Jack Jordan Crawford, Jarrett Jack

Last season, Celtics traded Crawford to Warriors, who were unsatisfied with his play

12. Joakim Noah throws better first pitch at Cubs game

Sep 18, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT

Cincinnati Reds v Chicago Cubs Getty Images

Bulls center didn’t fare quite as well at White Sox game

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches