Michael Beasley says he’s stopped listening to everybody, including his coaches

Apr 6, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

PHOENIX — Michael Beasley put together a stellar performance for the second straight game on Friday, pouring in 25 points on 12-17 shooting to keep the Suns within striking distance during their closer-than-expected loss to the Warriors.

The effort against Golden State came after a 13-point outing in 17 minutes of playing time during a 25-point loss at the hands of the Clippers, a performance that Suns interim head coach Lindsey Hunter called Beasley’s best overall game of the season.

While Hunter may like to believe he’s had a positive effect on Beasley’s development in the short time he’s been in charge, the fact is that Beasley is his own man, and has taken matters into his own hands.

Speaking to reporters after the loss to the Warriors, Beasley credited his recent improved play to tuning out everyone around him, while listening only to himself.

“I’ve stopped listening to people, and I’m just doing what I know how to do,” Beasley said.

When asked what people specifically Beasley has stopped listening to, no one was excluded from his list — not even his coaches.

“Everybody,” he said. “Just everybody, from my friends, to family, to teammates, to coaches.”

The “coaches” remark didn’t go unnoticed. Aren’t the coaches there to help?

“Yeah, definitely,” he said. “But at the same time, I’m the one out there in the fire. The coach can tell me what he sees from a third party perspective, but I’m seeing it first hand. Once I set a screen and I roll, and another guy steps up … if he doesn’t step up, I’ve got a jump shot. Or, I can go around him, or I’ve got [a teammate] for a dunk. There’s so many things that I can do that only my instincts can tell me.”

Lindsey Hunter may have noticed Beasley’s recent propensity to tune others out. He mentioned something he’s been doing in practice to try to make sure Beasley is in fact paying attention.

“He’s had some great practices, and I’ve been on him about paying attention,” Hunter said. “I’m constantly watching him, making sure, and I’ll randomly just ask him, what did a certain coach just say? Just to keep him focused in it. And he’s like, ‘coach, I’m not talking.’ I said, I know. But you’re listening to somebody. You’re doing something, because you’re not listening to what we’re telling you.”

This is a lost season for the Suns, and there are only a handful of games remaining over the next couple of weeks. Beasley’s improved play, should it continue, will undoubtedly be seen as a positive, no matter what the reasons are behind it.

His current head coach couldn’t care less what those reasons might be.

“Whatever his motivation is, then let it be that,” Hunter said. “I don’t really care.”

Latest Posts
  1. Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now”

Sep 1, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT

Derrick Rose Derrick Rose

“I’m feeling good right now. Just trying to get in better shape, get in better condition, so that when I do need to score the ball, then it’ll be there.” —Derrick Rose

2. Kings waive Wayne Ellington

Sep 1, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Ellington, acquired in trade from Knicks, likely stretched

3. Pacers to sign Chris Singleton

Sep 1, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT

chris-singleton Getty Images

Former Wizard provides depth at small forward following Paul George’s injury

4. Mason Plumlee wants you to know Duke, Nike had nothing to do with him making Team USA

Sep 1, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Finland v USA Getty Images

“If you were at our practices and our training camp, anybody that was there, they would see why I made the team.” —Mason Plumlee

5. Elephant dunks a basketball?

Sep 1, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

Elephant dunks a basketball.

6. Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold

Sep 1, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT

Detroit Pistons v Boston Celtics Getty Images

This makes more sense, but he could get moved near the deadline.

7. Report: Clippers close to deal with Chris Douglas-Roberts

Sep 1, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT

Chris Douglas-Roberts, Gary Neal Chris Douglas-Roberts, Gary Neal

This would be a solid pickup for the bench, especially at the league minimum.

8. Heat demote two assistants to hire Juwan Howard

Sep 1, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Ron Rothstein and Bob McAdoo lose bench spots, could stay with Miami

9. Kevin Durant confirms he is staying with Nike

Sep 1, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

12-390_Nike_KDV_Upper_Detail-02_original

This is a win for Jay-Z’s Roc Nation.

10. James Harden with more bad defense in USA’s win over Turkey (VIDEO)

Sep 1, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Team USA Practice Session Getty Images

Harden’s reputation on the defensive end of the floor continues to grow.

11. Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade

Sep 1, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Boston Celtics Getty Images

Whether he asked out or not doesn’t really change his situation much.

12. Report: Hedo Turkoglu nearing free agent deal to return to Clippers

Aug 31, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Washington Wizards v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

Turkoglu didn’t do much in L.A. last year, but Chris Paul recently touted the importance of consistency in the Clippers’ chances for success next season.

13. James Harden’s four-point play vs. Turkey (VIDEO)

Aug 31, 2014, 7:59 PM EDT

James Harden James Harden

James Harden makes the PUJIT work for him.

14. Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup

Aug 31, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT

Team USA Showcase Getty Images

The energy of Kenneth Faried helped Team USA pull away in the second half.

15. Report: Kings finalizing deal to trade Jason Terry to Rockets

Aug 31, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT

Newly acquired Brooklyn Net's NBA player Jason Terry smiles as he is introduced to the media during a news conference in Brooklyn Reuters

Terry was never going to be a fit in Sacramento, but could be a nice veteran addition for a Rockets team that plans on contending next season.

16. Report: Grizzlies waive Jamaal Franklin

Aug 31, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

Jamaal Franklin Jamaal Franklin

Franklin only played one NBA season, but this will open up a roster spot in Memphis.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches