Michael Beasley says he’s stopped listening to everybody, including his coaches

Apr 6, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

PHOENIX — Michael Beasley put together a stellar performance for the second straight game on Friday, pouring in 25 points on 12-17 shooting to keep the Suns within striking distance during their closer-than-expected loss to the Warriors.

The effort against Golden State came after a 13-point outing in 17 minutes of playing time during a 25-point loss at the hands of the Clippers, a performance that Suns interim head coach Lindsey Hunter called Beasley’s best overall game of the season.

While Hunter may like to believe he’s had a positive effect on Beasley’s development in the short time he’s been in charge, the fact is that Beasley is his own man, and has taken matters into his own hands.

Speaking to reporters after the loss to the Warriors, Beasley credited his recent improved play to tuning out everyone around him, while listening only to himself.

“I’ve stopped listening to people, and I’m just doing what I know how to do,” Beasley said.

When asked what people specifically Beasley has stopped listening to, no one was excluded from his list — not even his coaches.

“Everybody,” he said. “Just everybody, from my friends, to family, to teammates, to coaches.”

The “coaches” remark didn’t go unnoticed. Aren’t the coaches there to help?

“Yeah, definitely,” he said. “But at the same time, I’m the one out there in the fire. The coach can tell me what he sees from a third party perspective, but I’m seeing it first hand. Once I set a screen and I roll, and another guy steps up … if he doesn’t step up, I’ve got a jump shot. Or, I can go around him, or I’ve got [a teammate] for a dunk. There’s so many things that I can do that only my instincts can tell me.”

Lindsey Hunter may have noticed Beasley’s recent propensity to tune others out. He mentioned something he’s been doing in practice to try to make sure Beasley is in fact paying attention.

“He’s had some great practices, and I’ve been on him about paying attention,” Hunter said. “I’m constantly watching him, making sure, and I’ll randomly just ask him, what did a certain coach just say? Just to keep him focused in it. And he’s like, ‘coach, I’m not talking.’ I said, I know. But you’re listening to somebody. You’re doing something, because you’re not listening to what we’re telling you.”

This is a lost season for the Suns, and there are only a handful of games remaining over the next couple of weeks. Beasley’s improved play, should it continue, will undoubtedly be seen as a positive, no matter what the reasons are behind it.

His current head coach couldn’t care less what those reasons might be.

“Whatever his motivation is, then let it be that,” Hunter said. “I don’t really care.”

Latest Posts
  1. Nets defense smothers Raptors, gets Brooklyn Game 1 win on road

Apr 19, 2014, 4:06 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors guard Kyle Lowry (7) battles under the hoop with Brooklyn Nets centre Kevin Garnett (2) but they couldn't get it done as the Nets won 94-87 Getty Images

Playoff games are played in the halfcourt and the Nets owned that in Game 1.

2. Raptors GM Masai Ujiri screams ‘F— Brooklyn’ to crowd at rally before Game 1 vs. Nets (VIDEO)

Apr 19, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT

Masai Ujiri AP

A rare and raw show of emotion from a team’s GM was caught on camera.

3. Toronto Sun fires shot at aging Brooklyn Nets (PHOTO)

Apr 19, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce

“Garnett and Pierce are so old the Raptor had to ask his dad about them.”

4. Adam Silver says after owners’ meeting raising age limit top priority

Apr 19, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT

Adam Silver Adam Silver

The owners are behind Silver’s effort to raise the age limit. Now there’s just the pesky matter of negotiating with the players’ union.

5. PBT Extra: Are Pacers or Spurs in any trouble in first round?

Apr 19, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Paul George, Pero Antic Paul George, Pero Antic

You can construct a scenario where the Pacers are in trouble… except they play the Hawks.

6. All PBT’s first round playoff previews in one place

Apr 19, 2014, 2:15 AM EDT

San Antonio Spurs v Miami Heat - Game 7 Getty Images

Making your playoff preview reading convenient.

7. Grizzlies guard Nick Calathes suspended 20 games for violating NBA’s anti-drug policy

Apr 19, 2014, 1:54 AM EDT

Nick Calathes, Damian Lillard AP

Grizzlies’ guard will definitely be missed in the rotation.

8. Craig Sager has acute leukemia

Apr 19, 2014, 1:50 AM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Miami Heat - Game Five Indiana Pacers v Miami Heat - Game Five

We may not see him on the sidelines of TNT games these playoffs.

9. NBA Playoff Preview: Brooklyn Nets vs. Toronto Raptors

Apr 18, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Toronto Raptors Getty Images

This should be the East’s most competitive first round matchup.

10. NBA Playoff Preview: Charlotte Bobcats vs. Miami Heat

Apr 18, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT

How quickly can Miami flip the switch?

11. NBA Playoff Preview: Atlanta Hawks vs. Indiana Pacers

Apr 18, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Can the Pacers regain their early-season swagger now that the playoffs are here?

12. PBT Extra: Clippers/Warriors playoff preview

Apr 18, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Expect a fight by the end of Game 2.

13. PBT Extra: Nets/Raptors playoff preview

Apr 18, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT

Kyle Lowry, Kevin Garnett, Deron Williams Kyle Lowry, Kevin Garnett, Deron Williams

People shouldn’t sleep on the Raptors, particularly the Nets.

14. NBA Playoff Preview: Dallas Mavericks vs. San Antonio Spurs

Apr 18, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT

Tony Parker, Samuel Dalembert Tony Parker, Samuel Dalembert

Dallas has lost nine straight to San Antonio. Don’t expect that streak to stop now.

15. Ties broken, NBA Draft lottery odds, second half of draft now set

Apr 18, 2014, 4:19 PM EDT

Grant Gilbert AP

All the draft lottery odds are here, so Lakers fans can look and see what that little run of wins to close out the season did to their odds.

16. PBT Podcast: NBA playoff preview edition

Apr 18, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT

Larry O'Brien trophy Getty Images

We look at all 8 first round series.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview