Michael Beasley says he’s stopped listening to everybody, including his coaches

Apr 6, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

PHOENIX — Michael Beasley put together a stellar performance for the second straight game on Friday, pouring in 25 points on 12-17 shooting to keep the Suns within striking distance during their closer-than-expected loss to the Warriors.

The effort against Golden State came after a 13-point outing in 17 minutes of playing time during a 25-point loss at the hands of the Clippers, a performance that Suns interim head coach Lindsey Hunter called Beasley’s best overall game of the season.

While Hunter may like to believe he’s had a positive effect on Beasley’s development in the short time he’s been in charge, the fact is that Beasley is his own man, and has taken matters into his own hands.

Speaking to reporters after the loss to the Warriors, Beasley credited his recent improved play to tuning out everyone around him, while listening only to himself.

“I’ve stopped listening to people, and I’m just doing what I know how to do,” Beasley said.

When asked what people specifically Beasley has stopped listening to, no one was excluded from his list — not even his coaches.

“Everybody,” he said. “Just everybody, from my friends, to family, to teammates, to coaches.”

The “coaches” remark didn’t go unnoticed. Aren’t the coaches there to help?

“Yeah, definitely,” he said. “But at the same time, I’m the one out there in the fire. The coach can tell me what he sees from a third party perspective, but I’m seeing it first hand. Once I set a screen and I roll, and another guy steps up … if he doesn’t step up, I’ve got a jump shot. Or, I can go around him, or I’ve got [a teammate] for a dunk. There’s so many things that I can do that only my instincts can tell me.”

Lindsey Hunter may have noticed Beasley’s recent propensity to tune others out. He mentioned something he’s been doing in practice to try to make sure Beasley is in fact paying attention.

“He’s had some great practices, and I’ve been on him about paying attention,” Hunter said. “I’m constantly watching him, making sure, and I’ll randomly just ask him, what did a certain coach just say? Just to keep him focused in it. And he’s like, ‘coach, I’m not talking.’ I said, I know. But you’re listening to somebody. You’re doing something, because you’re not listening to what we’re telling you.”

This is a lost season for the Suns, and there are only a handful of games remaining over the next couple of weeks. Beasley’s improved play, should it continue, will undoubtedly be seen as a positive, no matter what the reasons are behind it.

His current head coach couldn’t care less what those reasons might be.

“Whatever his motivation is, then let it be that,” Hunter said. “I don’t really care.”

Latest Posts
  1. PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off

Jun 30, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT

Lamarcus Aldridge Wesley Matthews Getty Images

Big men like LaMarcus Aldridge and DeAndre Jordan will shape the free agency landscape.

2. Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James”

Jun 30, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT

Chicago Fire - Season 3 Getty Images

Sorry Scottie, LeBron is just the better player.

3. Report: DeAndre Jordan ’50-50′ in choosing between Mavericks and Clippers

Jun 30, 2015, 3:03 PM EDT

San Antonio Spurs v Los Angeles Clippers - Game Five Getty Images

He’s reportedly seeking a shorter deal, too, which negates L.A.’s inherent advantage.

4. Report: Lakers among four teams interested in Iman Shumpert

Jun 30, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

Shumpert is a restricted free agent, so Cavaliers can match any offer he might receive.

5. Luke Ridnour traded for the fourth time this summer

Jun 30, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

And he could be traded again before his contract becomes guaranteed on July 11.

6. Report: Hawks ‘in the mix’ for Monta Ellis

Jun 30, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT

Monta Ellis AP

Hawks are facing a lot of uncertainty with their roster.

7. Report: Tim Duncan, Tony Parker part of Spurs pitch to LaMarcus Aldridge (and they may be favorites)

Jun 30, 2015, 1:01 AM EDT

duncan-parker Getty Images

The Spurs are right at the front of the line with the Lakers to win Aldridge over.

8. Kyle Korver to have elbow surgery, no timetable for return

Jun 29, 2015, 11:45 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Atlanta Hawks - Game Two Getty Images

We knew Korver would need ankle surgery, but this is a bit of a surprise.

9. Report: LaMarcus Aldridge ‘leaning toward’ signing with Lakers

Jun 29, 2015, 10:45 PM EDT

Memphis Grizzlies v Portland Trail Blazers - Game Three Getty Images

Aldridge is expected to leave Portland, and the most recent report has the Lakers as the frontrunners to retain his services.

10. Report: Kobe Bryant called DeAndre Jordan to recruit him to Lakers

Jun 29, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT

kobe

Clippers remain frontrunners to retain Jordan’s services; Lakers, Mavericks also in the mix.

11. Report: Pero Antic leaving NBA to play overseas

Jun 29, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT

Pero Antic AP

Antic was with the Hawks the last two seasons.

12. Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer

Jun 29, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Chicago Bulls Getty Images

The bottom line is this: Butler is going to be a Bull next season.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches