Michael Beasley says he’s stopped listening to everybody, including his coaches

Apr 6, 2013, 11:00 AM EST

Orlando Magic v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

PHOENIX — Michael Beasley put together a stellar performance for the second straight game on Friday, pouring in 25 points on 12-17 shooting to keep the Suns within striking distance during their closer-than-expected loss to the Warriors.

The effort against Golden State came after a 13-point outing in 17 minutes of playing time during a 25-point loss at the hands of the Clippers, a performance that Suns interim head coach Lindsey Hunter called Beasley’s best overall game of the season.

While Hunter may like to believe he’s had a positive effect on Beasley’s development in the short time he’s been in charge, the fact is that Beasley is his own man, and has taken matters into his own hands.

Speaking to reporters after the loss to the Warriors, Beasley credited his recent improved play to tuning out everyone around him, while listening only to himself.

“I’ve stopped listening to people, and I’m just doing what I know how to do,” Beasley said.

When asked what people specifically Beasley has stopped listening to, no one was excluded from his list — not even his coaches.

“Everybody,” he said. “Just everybody, from my friends, to family, to teammates, to coaches.”

The “coaches” remark didn’t go unnoticed. Aren’t the coaches there to help?

“Yeah, definitely,” he said. “But at the same time, I’m the one out there in the fire. The coach can tell me what he sees from a third party perspective, but I’m seeing it first hand. Once I set a screen and I roll, and another guy steps up … if he doesn’t step up, I’ve got a jump shot. Or, I can go around him, or I’ve got [a teammate] for a dunk. There’s so many things that I can do that only my instincts can tell me.”

Lindsey Hunter may have noticed Beasley’s recent propensity to tune others out. He mentioned something he’s been doing in practice to try to make sure Beasley is in fact paying attention.

“He’s had some great practices, and I’ve been on him about paying attention,” Hunter said. “I’m constantly watching him, making sure, and I’ll randomly just ask him, what did a certain coach just say? Just to keep him focused in it. And he’s like, ‘coach, I’m not talking.’ I said, I know. But you’re listening to somebody. You’re doing something, because you’re not listening to what we’re telling you.”

This is a lost season for the Suns, and there are only a handful of games remaining over the next couple of weeks. Beasley’s improved play, should it continue, will undoubtedly be seen as a positive, no matter what the reasons are behind it.

His current head coach couldn’t care less what those reasons might be.

“Whatever his motivation is, then let it be that,” Hunter said. “I don’t really care.”

Latest Posts
  1. Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs

Dec 25, 2014, 6:46 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v San Antonio Spurs Getty Images

With Kevin Durant out, Westbrook puts Oklahoma City on his back, elevates Steven Adams and helps produce 114-106 victory

2. From Gregg Popovich down, Spurs relying on patience

Dec 25, 2014, 6:10 PM EST

San Antonio Spurs v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Scott Brooks: Kevin Durant ‘could not go if he wanted to go’

3. John Wall looks like All-Star, Knicks look like the Knicks, Wizards cruise to win

Dec 25, 2014, 4:15 PM EST

John Wall, Jose Calderon, Samuel Dalembert AP

Washington was never threatened after the first quarter.

4. LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns

Dec 25, 2014, 12:30 PM EST

2014 Sears Shooting Stars Competition Getty Images

Kevin Durant would not start as of right now, but expect that to change once he starts playing again.

5. PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014

Dec 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EST

LeBron James AP

And at No. 1… come on, isn’t it pretty obvious?

6. Kevin Durant out for Christmas Day game vs. Spurs

Dec 25, 2014, 2:13 AM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Sacramento Kings Oklahoma City Thunder v Sacramento Kings

This will be his fourth game missed with a sprained ankle, they are 1-2 without him the last three.

7. PBT Christmas Day preview: Kobe Bryant vs. Derrick Rose, finally

Dec 24, 2014, 9:30 PM EST

NBA All-Star Practice NBA All-Star Practice

Previewing the Bulls vs. Lakers matchup at the United Center.

8. A look at Jordan Brand’s Christmas shoes for Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, Carmelo Anthony (PHOTOS)

Dec 24, 2014, 9:00 PM EST

940x800q80

Colorways inspired by shoes Michael Jordan wore during his best Christmas Day performance.

9. Spurs and Thunder, who’ve been best in the West lately, both fighting for position entering Christmas matchup

Dec 24, 2014, 7:00 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v San Antonio Spurs - Game Five Getty Images

Injuries to Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and Kawhi Leonard have put both teams behind the eight ball

10. Report: Trade talks between Kings and Nets ‘on hiatus’ with Mason Plumlee off the table

Dec 24, 2014, 6:06 PM EST

Mason Plumlee, Timofey Mozgov, Jarrett Jack AP

An additional confirmation that no Deron Williams deal gets done on Sacramento’s side unless they can also get the talented young big man as part of the package.

11. Lakers win, so Nick Young says ridiculous things

Dec 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EST

Golden State Warriors v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Young says Lakers played liked ‘Django Unchained’ without Kobe Bryant

12. Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day

Dec 24, 2014, 3:00 PM EST

LeBron James LeBron James

The NBA has given us some good presents to open for Christmas.

13. Reports: Josh Smith agrees to sign with Rockets once he clears waivers

Dec 24, 2014, 1:24 PM EST

Brooklyn Nets v Detroit Pistons Getty Images

This is a low risk pickup by the Rockets at a good price.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches