Michael Beasley says he’s stopped listening to everybody, including his coaches

Apr 6, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

PHOENIX — Michael Beasley put together a stellar performance for the second straight game on Friday, pouring in 25 points on 12-17 shooting to keep the Suns within striking distance during their closer-than-expected loss to the Warriors.

The effort against Golden State came after a 13-point outing in 17 minutes of playing time during a 25-point loss at the hands of the Clippers, a performance that Suns interim head coach Lindsey Hunter called Beasley’s best overall game of the season.

While Hunter may like to believe he’s had a positive effect on Beasley’s development in the short time he’s been in charge, the fact is that Beasley is his own man, and has taken matters into his own hands.

Speaking to reporters after the loss to the Warriors, Beasley credited his recent improved play to tuning out everyone around him, while listening only to himself.

“I’ve stopped listening to people, and I’m just doing what I know how to do,” Beasley said.

When asked what people specifically Beasley has stopped listening to, no one was excluded from his list — not even his coaches.

“Everybody,” he said. “Just everybody, from my friends, to family, to teammates, to coaches.”

The “coaches” remark didn’t go unnoticed. Aren’t the coaches there to help?

“Yeah, definitely,” he said. “But at the same time, I’m the one out there in the fire. The coach can tell me what he sees from a third party perspective, but I’m seeing it first hand. Once I set a screen and I roll, and another guy steps up … if he doesn’t step up, I’ve got a jump shot. Or, I can go around him, or I’ve got [a teammate] for a dunk. There’s so many things that I can do that only my instincts can tell me.”

Lindsey Hunter may have noticed Beasley’s recent propensity to tune others out. He mentioned something he’s been doing in practice to try to make sure Beasley is in fact paying attention.

“He’s had some great practices, and I’ve been on him about paying attention,” Hunter said. “I’m constantly watching him, making sure, and I’ll randomly just ask him, what did a certain coach just say? Just to keep him focused in it. And he’s like, ‘coach, I’m not talking.’ I said, I know. But you’re listening to somebody. You’re doing something, because you’re not listening to what we’re telling you.”

This is a lost season for the Suns, and there are only a handful of games remaining over the next couple of weeks. Beasley’s improved play, should it continue, will undoubtedly be seen as a positive, no matter what the reasons are behind it.

His current head coach couldn’t care less what those reasons might be.

“Whatever his motivation is, then let it be that,” Hunter said. “I don’t really care.”

1. jlsiberia - Apr 6, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Super cool Beas

• spthegr8 - Apr 6, 2013 at 12:05 PM

What about the Gremlins that sit on the Rim that he talked about b4???

2. reeggss - Apr 6, 2013 at 11:11 AM

wow, this guys gets a third or fourth chance in the league and finally starts playing well. He follows this up with “i no longer listen to my coaches” comment.

3. observingii - Apr 6, 2013 at 11:13 AM

How arrogant can one man get?

4. dondada10 - Apr 6, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I still believe that when surrounded with the right people (coaches and teammates), Beas can be a very productive player in this league. Perhaps a team like the Spurs or Thunder. Maybe Kobe and the Lakers. Woodson and the Knicks.

5. hojo20 - Apr 6, 2013 at 11:25 AM

This is drugs. This is your brain on drugs.

6. eventhorizon04 - Apr 6, 2013 at 11:42 AM

“Michael Beasley says he’s stopped listening to everybody, including his coaches”

I feel like this headline could have been used a few years ago.

• eventhorizon04 - Apr 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM

But seriously – Beasley has talent. He’s had to deal with off-the-court issues and maturity, but he’s been able to put together great games in the past.

And while “tuning everybody out” might be helping in the short term, eventually opposing coaches and players scheme to take away a player’s strengths based on what the scouting report shows. So it’s important for players to learn new skills and new ways to play – both from coaches and from trainers in the offseason – in order to “stay ahead” of the scouting reports.

In other words – tuning everybody out and only doing what he already knows how to do will only for so long.

• asimonetti88 - Apr 6, 2013 at 3:00 PM

He was an amazing talent in college, too bad he can’t put it together in the NBA.

7. adoombray - Apr 6, 2013 at 11:49 AM

The problem with the guy is there is an 82 game season. The Suns didnt try to compete all that long (they cashed out before the all-star break), but all the off ball screens he didnt set, all the times he just let guys blow right by him, all the sourpuss looks, the fact that management coddles him so much…. a couple of good games at the very end of the season does not make up for all that crap. Maybe we’re just all bummed out because we realize rebuilding sucks, but to date, as a guy who lives in Phoenix because of the nightlife, I haven’t seen a Beas jersey on anyone, Suns fans have a quiet resignation to the fact that he’s here for 3 years (we’re all praying they dump him as an expiring. we would take any bad contract you’d throw at us, order another round, and be like “at least it aint Beas”)

8. dls612 - Apr 6, 2013 at 12:04 PM

He is his own worst enemy! Career wise!

9. imforbigblue - Apr 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Let call it how it really is and that this guy is no star and never will be. The sun’s are stupid if they think they can build a team around him. hell he’s more of a 2nd or even 3rd option on a team if you ask me

10. Abe - Apr 6, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Face it, after being College Player of the Year, it crushed him to go to a losing organization while Rose got the Bulls! To put things in perspective, if Kemba Walker was drafted by the Celtics or Lakers or even the Knicks he would be considered a Star by now. So much of how these guys do, depends on the opportunity they get and how much pressure is on them as rookies. Beas has the talent.

11. sunsation3413 - Apr 6, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Beasley and Hunter deserve each other. Dumb and dumber. Hopefully they’re both unemployed next season.

• djjackson81 - Apr 8, 2013 at 1:06 AM

I say we trade Beasley and Hunter for a Hot dog beer and Dbacks tickets for next years opening day.

12. livingsacrifice86 - Apr 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I would like to not listen to anybody for 6 mil a year…where do I sign up?

13. Sideline Mob - Apr 6, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Stopped listening to his coaches? When did he START?

14. edwardemanuelson - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Please let my Spurs get ahold of this guy! Pop, Timmy, Tony, Manu and Stephen Jackson would have this guy shaped up in no time. And winning, too.

• adoombray - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I’d like to say that Pop wouldn’t bother with this crap, but the way he reigns in Stephen Jackson… maybe Pop is the ONLY guy who could save him.

15. eugenesaxe - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I bet he still listens to his dealer.

16. tomtravis76 - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I think if he can get traded to the wizards he would get settled. Being back in the dc area might give him stability.

17. luz56 - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Just another reason why they should do away with guaranteed contracts

• 00maltliquor - Apr 7, 2013 at 6:02 AM

That would be bad ass. Too bad the new CBA’s ink just barely dried on the parchment paper…

18. fearthehoody - Apr 7, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Loves drugs more than basket ball. We will read about you in 2016 filing for bankruptcy

19. BigBeachBall - Apr 7, 2013 at 4:24 AM

Stopped listening to everybody but his dealer…

20. 00maltliquor - Apr 7, 2013 at 5:40 AM

Don’t listen to anyone around you SuperCool Beas, everyone is crazy but you my friend! Oh….don’t forget to take your pills in your Thursday box…here’s some water to wash it down, champ

21. 00maltliquor - Apr 7, 2013 at 5:48 AM

The 2012 NBA champ Miami Heat done effed up when they done went and traded SuperCool to the MIN T-Wolves back in 2011 for pretty much next to nothing, yet kept 2nd rounder Super Mario Chalmers, eh…bad choice Riles. Coulda had a big 4.

22. tericknelson - Apr 7, 2013 at 6:15 AM

You guys are taking what he said to literal. You gotta look at it from a basketball perspective. He means when out there on the court. He listens to what the coaches tell him to do, he’s just stopped doing them the way the coaches tell him to do it, which is what players with confidence issues do. He’s playing off of what he sees like how your supposed to do. It cant be a structure plan for it to be consistent, you have to read the defense. When your trying to be a go to guy you cant listen to people when they tell you you took a bad shot or didnt play defense, you gotta have short term, confidence and play basketball. Beasley is finding his confidence… you call it arrogance, but you need arrogance to be a good basketball player, you have to believe your better.

from the perspective of a basketball player.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches