Apr 6, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT
Let’s be honest, you’re not watching the Final Four this weekend because you still have a shot in your office pool. The old lady who doesn’t watch college basketball but liked her visit to Wichita is going to win it. But if you’re the fan of an NBA lottery team watching the Final Four this weekend — hello Charlotte! — you will be watching with an eye toward guys you may want your team to draft.
Well, here are five guys to watch. Because we want to enhance your viewing experience. We’re nice that way. We got a lot of help on this from our man Rob Dauster at CollegeBasketballTalk.
1) Trey Burke, 6’0”, 20-year-old point guard, Michigan. He has had a monster year — he was the AP player of the year — and has followed it up with a big NCAA Tournament leading Michigan this far. We knew he could shoot, he had drive-and-kick skills, and he has shown to be a strong floor general. One of the questions about him was defense but in the NCAA Tournament he has looked good on that end of the floor and that has helped his cause — DraftExpress.com has him as the No. 7 overall pick now.
2) Michael Carter-Williams, 6’5”, 21-year-old point guard, Syracuse. No player has helped himself more during the tournament, Dauster said on the PBT Podcast. He’s big for a point guard, athletic, is a good ball handler, can shoot and pass, plus he’s got a great first step and can create. The question is would his decision making catch up with those skills, and in the tournament it has, Dauster told us. He’s moved up, DraftExpress has him at No. 14 at the bottom of the lottery.
3) Gorqui Dieng, 6’11”, 23-year-old center, Louisville. He’s known as a defensive stopper, an anchor in the middle of the Louisville defense, but in the NCAA Tournament he has hit 20-of-24 shots. He’ll make a solid rotation player in the NBA, a backup big who can give you solid minutes nightly. DraftExpress has him going No. 21.
4) Nik Stauskas, 6’6, 19-year-old small forward, Michigan. He’s a guy who has turned some heads in the tourney. He moves off the ball and has a great outside shot — something he will need to do consistently against the Syracuse zone on Saturday. He shot 6-of-6 from three against Florida, which is a good defensive team. All that said, expect him to hang out in college for another season after this one. But Dauster says he sees a solid pro here.
5) Cleanthony Early, 6’8” power forward, Wichita State. He had a monster game against Gonzaga and Dauster says not to ignore the Shocker’s star when thinking NBA. He’s a potential second round pick who is out to prove he belongs. He can rebound, and his versatility intrigues, he just needs to be more steady and develop a more solid jumper.
Aug 20, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT
Nedovic had hoped to play for Serbia, but couldn’t get medical clearance.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:07 PM EDT
Video game Curry doesn’t come close to shooting as well as the real life version.
Aug 20, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT
If Bledsoe decides to play for the qualifying offer, he’ll almost certainly bolt as an unrestricted free agent next summer.
Aug 20, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
Aug 20, 2014, 2:04 PM EDT
Strangest comparison ever. And pretty accurate.
Aug 20, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
Photo is excellent.
Aug 20, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT
Miami could use the depth, but at this point the pickings are slim.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Move would be purely financial for Philadelphia, but if Stoudemire is contributing at that time, Knicks may pass.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
He makes some points.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
It goes much deeper than that.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
You cannot push all the way back from knee surgery without having pain.
Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good
Aug 20, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
Kobe has plenty of doubters now to fuel him.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Best NBA Jam duo on a current team? Give me Durant and Westbrook.
Aug 20, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT
Bryant appears on latest Sports Illustrated cover.
Aug 19, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
Highlights only serve as a reminder of just how bad things were in Los Angeles.
Aug 19, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
Derrick Rose, not so much.
Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers
Aug 19, 2014, 7:21 PM EDT
Monroe will sign qualifying off with Pistons if no deal is in place by Oct. 1.
Aug 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Bonner now drives a 2014 Chevy Impala.
Aug 19, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
I would pay good money to see this, even though I wouldn’t understand a word.
Aug 19, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
I think the Pelicans are a playoff team next season.
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 9
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 22
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31