Apr 6, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT
Let’s be honest, you’re not watching the Final Four this weekend because you still have a shot in your office pool. The old lady who doesn’t watch college basketball but liked her visit to Wichita is going to win it. But if you’re the fan of an NBA lottery team watching the Final Four this weekend — hello Charlotte! — you will be watching with an eye toward guys you may want your team to draft.
Well, here are five guys to watch. Because we want to enhance your viewing experience. We’re nice that way. We got a lot of help on this from our man Rob Dauster at CollegeBasketballTalk.
1) Trey Burke, 6’0”, 20-year-old point guard, Michigan. He has had a monster year — he was the AP player of the year — and has followed it up with a big NCAA Tournament leading Michigan this far. We knew he could shoot, he had drive-and-kick skills, and he has shown to be a strong floor general. One of the questions about him was defense but in the NCAA Tournament he has looked good on that end of the floor and that has helped his cause — DraftExpress.com has him as the No. 7 overall pick now.
2) Michael Carter-Williams, 6’5”, 21-year-old point guard, Syracuse. No player has helped himself more during the tournament, Dauster said on the PBT Podcast. He’s big for a point guard, athletic, is a good ball handler, can shoot and pass, plus he’s got a great first step and can create. The question is would his decision making catch up with those skills, and in the tournament it has, Dauster told us. He’s moved up, DraftExpress has him at No. 14 at the bottom of the lottery.
3) Gorqui Dieng, 6’11”, 23-year-old center, Louisville. He’s known as a defensive stopper, an anchor in the middle of the Louisville defense, but in the NCAA Tournament he has hit 20-of-24 shots. He’ll make a solid rotation player in the NBA, a backup big who can give you solid minutes nightly. DraftExpress has him going No. 21.
4) Nik Stauskas, 6’6, 19-year-old small forward, Michigan. He’s a guy who has turned some heads in the tourney. He moves off the ball and has a great outside shot — something he will need to do consistently against the Syracuse zone on Saturday. He shot 6-of-6 from three against Florida, which is a good defensive team. All that said, expect him to hang out in college for another season after this one. But Dauster says he sees a solid pro here.
5) Cleanthony Early, 6’8” power forward, Wichita State. He had a monster game against Gonzaga and Dauster says not to ignore the Shocker’s star when thinking NBA. He’s a potential second round pick who is out to prove he belongs. He can rebound, and his versatility intrigues, he just needs to be more steady and develop a more solid jumper.
Jul 25, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT
He’s a free agent now… but 30 teams just passed on him.
Jul 25, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
He is a solid backup to have while Dennis Schroder develops.
Jul 25, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Magic rookie shows off handles
Jul 25, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
Will Cherry was fun to watch at Las Vegas Summer League.
Jul 25, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
George Karl is a better coach than Byron Scott
Jul 25, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
Finally. Job has been vacant since April 30.
Jul 25, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Knicks’ record last season: 37-45
Melo’s contract value: $124,064,681
Jul 25, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
Bulls also must make room for Nikola Mirotic in frontcourt
Jul 25, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Dirk Nowitzki presents a big strike zone.
Jul 25, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
Former Bull and Piston sat out last season
Jul 25, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
New TV deal expected to drastically increase revenue
Jul 25, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
Not a Cleveland Cavaliers beat reporter. A LeBron James beat reporter.
Jul 25, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Rookie big man has been mentioned in Kevin Love trade rumors
Jul 25, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
Timberwolves reportedly come to their senses, prefer Andrew Wiggins to Klay Thompson
Jul 25, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
Francisco Garcia opted out of a veteran minimum deal, he will re-sign for a veteran minimum deal.
Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about”
Jul 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
It benefits CP3, the president of the players’ union, to talk tough on this issue.
Jul 25, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT
Bonner is one of a few Spurs teammates taking the trophy on tour this summer.
Jul 24, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Sixers continue their plan of seeking out delayed gratification.
Agency that reps Ray Allen says reports he intends to play for Cavaliers are ‘unfounded,’ no decision has been made
Jul 24, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Despite reports that Allen was on the verge of signing with Cleveland, nothing has been decided just yet.
Jul 24, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
Blake Griffin joins Kawhi Leonard and LaMarcus Aldridge as players who are passing on Team USA this summer.
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 22
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 37
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 29
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 15
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 56
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 91
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12