Apr 5, 2013, 11:17 AM EDT
Tony Allen, who’s 31 years old and making $3.3 million this year, will become a free agent this summer. In all likelihood, this will be his last chance to secure a relatively big contract, though he says he’s not thinking that way. Via Ronald Tillery of Memphis Commercial Appeal:
“I’m bleeding blue right now, so I haven’t thought past the Grizzlies,” Allen said when asked about the Portland Trail Blazers as a possible destination after a Grizzlies win Wednesday night in the Rose Garden. “I ain’t thinking about free agency. I’m thinking about a championship.”
Defense is so difficult to quantify, it’s often seen as the space between offense (which is much easier to assess) and winning. For an elite perimeter defender like Allen, his value could easily be inflated by the perception he has positive intangibles. A deep Grizzlies playoff run would cement his status as “a winner,” and teams favor winners in free agency.
So, Allen should absolutely think about a championship. It will pay off.
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 0
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 56
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 26
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 43
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 17
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 19
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 36