Apr 5, 2013, 5:59 PM EDT
I wish every child who wants to come out as gay/lesbian could have a father as understanding as Magic Johnson.
In case you missed it because you don’t watch/read TMZ and other celebrity sites, Magic Johnson’s 20-year-old son E.J. was filmed walking down the street holding hands with his boyfriend in a public coming out. TMZ quickly went to Magic for a reaction and it was simply that he and his wife Cookie loved him very much and were very proud of him.
Then he sat down with and talked about how the family approached the issue — in a mature, respectful, thoughtful manner. The way you would hope a parent who really loved their child would react.
Again, because Magic is awesome, here is the money quote:
“I told him, ‘Hey, we are here to support you, and we’re going to love you no matter who you are and what you do. We just want you to love yourself and just make sure that you have all the information.’ And that’s what I wanted to give him — just provide him with advice and guidance.”
Magic is also someone who can speak first hand to what it is like to be out in front of a national issue and be a focal point — and in that role have people slam you behind your back (or to your face) and on the Internet. E.J. got some of that online but again Magic talked about it to E.J. and TMZ in a mature, thoughtful way (with more patience than I would have if someone said those things about one of my daughters).
E.J. appreciates what he’s got in a father.
He’s fortunate. There is a lot of passion and a frightening amount of hatred around this issue — some people who claim to be Christians do not act very Christ like toward gays and lesbians. I’ve seen enough of it with people close to me. To me hate is hate, wherever it is directed. If more people, more parents could share the concern, maturity and love that Magic showed in this situation the world would simply be a better place.
Thanks to Dan Devine at Ball Don’t Lie for the videos.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 11
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9