Apr 5, 2013, 5:13 PM EDT
This was expected, pretty much from the moment we saw the injury and certainly after initial leaks came out about his ACL.
But now it is official: Denver’s Danilo Gallinari is out for the remainder of the season with a torn ACL, the team announced. He will have surgery soon and that’s when a timetable for his return will be set — there were no other torn ligaments or no meniscus damage found.
“We’re extremely disappointed for Gallo. He was having a career year in scoring and rebounding and was a huge reason for our success,” Nuggets executive vice president of basketball operations Masai Ujiri said in a released statement. “We will obviously support him and be there for him throughout his recovery.
“Knowing his work ethic and commitment to getting back on the floor, we are confident he will come back stronger than ever next season.”
Gallo likely will miss some of next season, too. Wilson Chandler will get a bump in minutes as will Corey Brewer. Those two have played well — Brewer brings a great defensive presence — but Gallo averaged 16.1 points a game and has been a consistent presence for Denver.
Ty Lawson, the team’s point guard and leading scorer, also is out injured (torn plantar fascia) and he may not be back or not 100 percent for the playoffs. All of which takes Denver from a team that was feared to a team that may struggle to get out of the first round.
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 6
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 43
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 19
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70