Apr 5, 2013, 5:13 PM EDT
This was expected, pretty much from the moment we saw the injury and certainly after initial leaks came out about his ACL.
But now it is official: Denver’s Danilo Gallinari is out for the remainder of the season with a torn ACL, the team announced. He will have surgery soon and that’s when a timetable for his return will be set — there were no other torn ligaments or no meniscus damage found.
“We’re extremely disappointed for Gallo. He was having a career year in scoring and rebounding and was a huge reason for our success,” Nuggets executive vice president of basketball operations Masai Ujiri said in a released statement. “We will obviously support him and be there for him throughout his recovery.
“Knowing his work ethic and commitment to getting back on the floor, we are confident he will come back stronger than ever next season.”
Gallo likely will miss some of next season, too. Wilson Chandler will get a bump in minutes as will Corey Brewer. Those two have played well — Brewer brings a great defensive presence — but Gallo averaged 16.1 points a game and has been a consistent presence for Denver.
Ty Lawson, the team’s point guard and leading scorer, also is out injured (torn plantar fascia) and he may not be back or not 100 percent for the playoffs. All of which takes Denver from a team that was feared to a team that may struggle to get out of the first round.
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 9
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 2
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 6