Apr 5, 2013, 5:13 PM EDT
This was expected, pretty much from the moment we saw the injury and certainly after initial leaks came out about his ACL.
But now it is official: Denver’s Danilo Gallinari is out for the remainder of the season with a torn ACL, the team announced. He will have surgery soon and that’s when a timetable for his return will be set — there were no other torn ligaments or no meniscus damage found.
“We’re extremely disappointed for Gallo. He was having a career year in scoring and rebounding and was a huge reason for our success,” Nuggets executive vice president of basketball operations Masai Ujiri said in a released statement. “We will obviously support him and be there for him throughout his recovery.
“Knowing his work ethic and commitment to getting back on the floor, we are confident he will come back stronger than ever next season.”
Gallo likely will miss some of next season, too. Wilson Chandler will get a bump in minutes as will Corey Brewer. Those two have played well — Brewer brings a great defensive presence — but Gallo averaged 16.1 points a game and has been a consistent presence for Denver.
Ty Lawson, the team’s point guard and leading scorer, also is out injured (torn plantar fascia) and he may not be back or not 100 percent for the playoffs. All of which takes Denver from a team that was feared to a team that may struggle to get out of the first round.
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 5
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 32
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 35
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17