Apr 5, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
Smart money says Andre Iguodala will opt out this summer, forgoing the last year of his deal to get longer, more secure one (even if he takes a haircut on his one-year salary.
Iguodala is set to make $16.1 million next season but said the other day he plans to opt out at the end of this season to seek a more stable long-term deal (likely four years).
“I’m going to explore every option,” Iguodala said. “Ideally, you would want to opt out. The business of the NBA says you opt out and get a deal you like. But I think that’s still to be determined, depending on our success in the playoffs. I can’t make that decision now.
“The goal is to try to win a championship right now, and then everything else (falls into place). It would be hard for me to win a championship here, or get to the (league) Finals or get to the Western Conference finals and say, ‘You know, I’m out.’ I don’t want to make any guarantees, but if that happens, it would be obvious, (Nuggets executive) Masai (Ujiri) and them would understand my worth to the team and we could come to an agreement. But who knows what is going to happen? I could get hurt tomorrow and then have to opt in.”
We’ll see how far Denver can go as they face a rash of injuries — Ty Lawson is out with a torn plantar facia but could be back for the playoffs, Danilo Gallinari appears done for the year with an ACL injury.
I still expect Iggy will opt out then re-sign in Denver. With Iguodala off the books Denver would have about $52.5 million in committed salary for next season, so they have the room to bring Iggy back (say four years, $50 million give or take) and tweak the roster in other places. The Nuggets will not want to pay the luxury tax, a line that likely will be in the $72 million a year ballpark next season.
Just something to watch as Iguodala is wisely keeping his options open.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 19
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 7
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 34
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 24
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2