Iguodala says playoffs will help decide if he opts out of contract

Apr 5, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT

Andre Iguodala AP

Smart money says Andre Iguodala will opt out this summer, forgoing the last year of his deal to get longer, more secure one (even if he takes a haircut on his one-year salary.

Iguodala is set to make $16.1 million next season but said the other day he plans to opt out at the end of this season to seek a more stable long-term deal (likely four years).

However, speaking with Benjamin Hochman of the Denver Post Iguodala backed off that a little.

“I’m going to explore every option,” Iguodala said. “Ideally, you would want to opt out. The business of the NBA says you opt out and get a deal you like. But I think that’s still to be determined, depending on our success in the playoffs. I can’t make that decision now.

“The goal is to try to win a championship right now, and then everything else (falls into place). It would be hard for me to win a championship here, or get to the (league) Finals or get to the Western Conference finals and say, ‘You know, I’m out.’ I don’t want to make any guarantees, but if that happens, it would be obvious, (Nuggets executive) Masai (Ujiri) and them would understand my worth to the team and we could come to an agreement. But who knows what is going to happen? I could get hurt tomorrow and then have to opt in.”

We’ll see how far Denver can go as they face a rash of injuries — Ty Lawson is out with a torn plantar facia but could be back for the playoffs, Danilo Gallinari appears done for the year with an ACL injury.

I still expect Iggy will opt out then re-sign in Denver. With Iguodala off the books Denver would have about $52.5 million in committed salary for next season, so they have the room to bring Iggy back (say four years, $50 million give or take) and tweak the roster in other places. The Nuggets will not want to pay the luxury tax, a line that likely will be in the $72 million a year ballpark next season.

Just something to watch as Iguodala is wisely keeping his options open.

1. dirtydavis - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Nuggets 2013 NBA champs

2. 4thquartermagic - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Love Iggy’s D, but his unselfishness on offense is just maddening at times.

Last night with Lawson and Dakneelo out, he didn’t turn on on the aggression on “O” until the game winning drive to the hoop.

Stay in Denver Iggy. We don’t ask you to be the superstar, just a super stud on defense.

3. dalucks - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:12 PM

He should stay in his current contract because it is unlikely that a team will overpay for his skillset again.
    His next contract will be about his performance and not his potential.
    No one who is not a consistant All Star or All NBA player should make over 10 million dollars a year.

4. cowboysfaninbuffalove - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I’m a die hard Nugs fan but Iggy is only good for defense, dunks, and occasionally passing. I cringe every time he shoots the ball…his shot is ugly and he should not be running our point at any time

5. nodindenver - Apr 5, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Most Nugs fans are all in with Iggy. What he brings, he brings day in/day out. The fellas have some tough travels ahead with the loss of Gallo and healing of TLaw but, I am confident they are up to the task and they sure as heck are playing some motivated ball as of late. Go Nugs!

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches