DeAndre Jordan: Fans who question his devotion to improving free throws are ‘idiots’

Apr 5, 2013, 4:05 PM EDT

Knicks guard Kidd holds on to Clippers center Jordan from going to the basket during the first half of their NBA basketball game in Los Angeles

DeAndre Jordan, a career 43 percent free-throw shooter, is shooting 39 percent from the line this season. Via Broderick Turner of the Los Angeles TImes:

“Yeah, I’m aware of it, but I also work on it,” Jordan said. “I could understand it if I just didn’t work on my free-throw shooting and I’m just going out there and saying, ‘I just hope they go in.’ That’s what people don’t understand.

“They’re like, ‘You should work on your free-throw shooting.’ What the [heck] you think I’m doing? That’s why I think some people are idiots. … Do they think we really go out there — me or Dwight Howard or whoever — do you think we go out there and just try to miss them?”

Jordan makes a good point. Many people claim they could shoot free throws better than players like Jordan do, and they probably could in an empty gym if that were their only task. But put them through a workout that simulates the rigors of an NBA game – I’m not even worried about the pressure of thousands of fans watching – and few could still match Jordan’s 39 percent.

But at a certain point, the proof is in the pudding. Maybe Jordan works hard at the line, but does he work smartly? Until his free-throw percentage rises, it’s not idiotic to question his training methods.

1. cakemixa - Apr 5, 2013 at 4:14 PM

The real idiots are the Clippers for giving this bench player such a big contract.

• dirtydavis - Apr 5, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Damn right!!! Preach on brotha

• Distinguished Male - Apr 5, 2013 at 5:10 PM

the market is in favor of the big men

Jordan is a dude who can grab boards and protect the rim. You pay money for that. If the Clips didn’t, someone else would have.

I will admit he hasn’t progressed as much as anyone could have hoped, though. Good thing is, he’s still young.

• asimonetti88 - Apr 5, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Somebody else did. Jordan signed with the Warriors, and the Clips matched. So you’re right- people will pay money for that.

2. asimonetti88 - Apr 5, 2013 at 4:42 PM

You hit it right on the head Kurt. He may be practicing, but clearly he isn’t practicing efficiently. If he’s just as bad in practice as he is in games, then all he is doing is practicing doing it wrong. He should look at new methods and mechanics.

• Kurt Helin - Apr 5, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Thanks, but it was Dan, not me.

• asimonetti88 - Apr 5, 2013 at 11:26 PM

My bad Dan, wasn’t paying attention!

• badintent - Apr 5, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Hire Rick Barry. Career 90% FT in ABA and NBA. HOF. Underhand ball don’t lie.
      P.S. His sons were both over 80% but conventional stroke. He offer to teach Shaq. Shaq said he’wouldn’t shoot like a girl. When Shaq retired , he bitched like a little girl about the 5000 points he pissed away shooting around 50 %FT. Karma

3. Sideline Mob - Apr 5, 2013 at 5:52 PM

The only reason people who question DeAndre’s commitment to improving his free throw shooting are idiots is because they think there’s a chance DeAndre will work on his free throws. He can dunk and he hits the glass – he could give a crap less about his FT%.

4. yousuxxors - Apr 5, 2013 at 5:59 PM

the clippers need a good coach

5. jimsjam33 - Apr 5, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Jordan is the most proficient field goal shooter in the NBA . Was that anywhere in the article ? No .
    Now , let’s talk about free throws . He’s not very good . He knows that , you know that , and I know that . He’ll get better . He’s only 24 and his basketball life has got a lot of years to go .
    Keep making the field goals DeAndre . 2 points are better than one and 39% of your free throws are a bonus .
    Don’t sulk . In the fourth quarter you gotta come out late in the game . Free throws matter and the other teams pulling a ” hack a shaq ” on you is just a reality . Del Negro has to pull you . Odom is not as good as you on the offensive board , but he can play defense and shoot free throws . Next year may be different , but for right now just go along with the program . Good luck .

6. fearthehoody - Apr 5, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Its not that DJ is regressing, it is the mouth-agape clown VDN holding him and others back!

7. anhdazman - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Warriors are going to destroy the Clippers in the Playoffs.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches