Apr 5, 2013, 10:51 AM EDT
The Cavaliers are in their third season since losing LeBron James to the Heat, and Cleveland’s records – 19-63, 21-45 and now 22-52 – have fluctuated between various stages of bad. Byron Scott, who has coached the Cavaliers during this rebuild, doesn’t see that as a problem. Jason Lloyd of the Akron Beacon Journal:
Scott said he expected the Cavs’ rebuilding project to take between three and five years, the first time anyone in the organization has put a timetable on the development.
“It’s still right on that timetable, as far as I’m concerned,” Scott said. “But there’s been some times it’s probably been tougher than I expected. But if it doesn’t kill you, it makes you stronger.”
Read between the lines, and Scott is suggesting he should get five years to right the ship. That won’t happen – the only coaches in their fifth year or more at their current jobs are Gregg Popovich, Doc Rivers, George Karl, Erik Spoelstra and Rick Carlisle – but it’s a nice idea.
Whether he’s actually better than Scott or not, the next Cavaliers coach will almost certainly look better. Without doing anything, he’ll get a more-experienced Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson and Dion Waiters and (maybe) more than 25 games from Anderson Varejao.
Thompson realizes only so much is under Scott’s control:
“All the rumors about Coach Scott, hot seat and all that crap, that’s bogus,” Thompson said. “It’s up to us to go out and compete and play hard because we’re the ones out there. When he was out there playing, he won championships. It’s up to us to go out there and play.”
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 8
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 12
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 15
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 10
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 16
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11