Apr 5, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Mark Cuban’s declaration that he’d consider drafting Brittney Griner has drawn plenty of attention. But idea is completely preposterous, though I suspect Cuban knew that when he made his look-at-me statement. (To to be fair, I’ve certainly indulged him.)
Without question, Griner is a dominant women’s basketball player capable of great things in her sport. But she’s a 6-foot-8, 175-pound interior player who excels, in part, because she holds a physical advantage over her peers.
Here are the tallest starters Griner faced in her 36 games this season (in green) and the 36 shortest players considered forward-centers, center-forwards or centers by Basketball-Reference (in gold):
Griner’s tallest opposing starter was shorter than the shortest NBA center.
And she doesn’t make up for the gap with great (by NBA standards) leaping ability. Thanks to the following video, we know a bit more about Griner’s physical profile:
Griner has an 11-foot one-step vertical reach. It’s unclear what her max vertical reach is, but let’s generously add 3 inches to her one-step vertical to give her a max vertical of 11-foot-3.
These numbers shouldn’t detract from Griner’s greatness, but her greatness is limited to women’s basketball and doesn’t extend to the NBA. There’s no shame in that, but the Mavericks should be ashamed if they actually draft her (which they never, never, never would, anyway).
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20