Apr 5, 2013, 2:40 PM EST
Bradley Beal — after a solid and promising rookie campaign — is out for the remainder of the season with a stress injury to his right fibula.
The stress fracture came about because Beal played through injuries to both ankles and was trying to compensate.
So Beal, you want to have a do over that? What do you think he told J. Michael of CSNWashington.com?
“Should I have?” Beal said rhetorically. “No. But I was going to play regardless because I’m a hard-headed kid. That’s just how I am. I’m always competitive. I always want to play…
“I was glad that it was nothing too serious but I’m still upset by the fact that I can’t play. … I had a feeling it really wasn’t my ankle. It ended up being my fibula, but I’m glad its a stress reaction rather than a fracture or possibly broken. It’s nothing too painful. I can walk around, as long as I’m not running or jumping.”
There is a line between hurt and injured. Guys can play hurt. But if you have an injury, and playing through that injury is going to make things worse, than you sit. It sounds obvious but for competitive guys it can be a challenging lesson to learn. Same with some veterans, too.
Beal is learning it the hard way, but wanting to play is not something you climb on kids for. The good news is it isn’t serious — the injury or the end of the Wizards season — so no harm done.
But he is another reason Washington should be optimistic about next season… if they can just stay healthy.
- Duke’s Jabari Parker doesn’t back away from Carmelo Anthony comparison 5
- Michael Carter-Williams returns to Sixers lineup Friday against Nets 5
- Report: Bulls not looking to trade Luol Deng. Why would you think that? 14
- Kendrick Perkins tells Joakim Noah to “get your a– up out’ of Thunder locker room 35
- The Extra Pass: Chicago’s never-ending story, plus Thursday’s recaps 2
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee (70)
- LeBron did foul Paul George on final shot but there was no call (VIDEO) (60)
- Chicago columnist hammers Derrick Rose as no longer humble star (56)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- LeBron angrily goes after Mario Chalmers on the Heat bench (VIDEO) (50)