Anthony Davis’ bulk-up diet: Pizza. A lot of pizza.

Apr 5, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT

Monty Williams, Anthony Davis AP

Anthony Davis is on every man’s dream diet.

The Hornets rookie has improved and been impressive as the season has worn on — 15.5 points a game on 52.8 percent shooting with 9.9 rebounds and 1.6 blocks a game in his last 15 contests — but there are things he needs to work on.

One of them is getting physically bigger and stronger — he’s got to put on weight. Which means he needs to eat a lot. And you have to eat a lot there is no better city in America to be in than New Orleans. So what Cajun cooking specialty is he chowing down on?

Pizza. I know. But Marc Spears has the story at Yahoo Sports.

Specifically from the city’s Reginelli’s Pizzeria chain restaurant, where his pie of choice is a large with double pepperoni and double sausage.

“He eats pizza, man. It’s like if anyone says, ‘P … I’ and then, ‘Pizza,’ he perks up,” Hornets coach Monty Williams said. “This dude has this fascination with pizza. It’s unreal.”

I love pizza, too, but man you are in New Orleans. Great gumbo is around every corner. Amazing fish dishes. Beignets. You got to do more than just pizza.

But the bottom line is he needs to get stronger.

“(Carlos) Boozer made a point of trying to hurt him, basically,” Williams said. “He just tried to smash him every play. I thought, ‘This could be ugly for him if he doesn’t get stronger.’ I started talking to him about, ‘Right now you have to use your quickness because you can’t out-strength these guys.’

“That has been a turning point for him because he is starting to use his speed more, running more. Just doing all the things most guys can’t do at his position. He’s still a way off. If you look at his numbers and the way he’s played and you have to give him a grade, one through 12th grade, he’s like seventh or eighth grader because of the strength and know-how.”

But if you watch how smart a game he plays, the versatility, the defense, and you see why he was the No. 1 pick. Damian Lillard is rightfully going to be the Rookie of the Year, but in three years you’ll want Davis on your team more. Guys such as Kevin Garnett have said he is going to be special. The guys on Team USA last summer — LeBron James, Kobe Bryant — took AD under their wing. Everyone sees it.

He’s just got to get stronger. And eat a lot more pizza.

1. chicitybulls - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:02 PM

It’s no surprise pizza is his food of choice. He is from Chicago after all. Home of the best pizza in the country if not the world.

• rawgator06 - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Is Chicago the name of a street in Brooklyn?
      Otherwise, No

• chicitybulls - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Are you kidding me? You guys fold your pizza. lol.

• beagle11 - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Nothing comes close to Pizza in NYC, I consider myself a connoisseur. Chicago pizza is JOKE.
        @Rawgator06, Brooklyn probably has my favorite place- Lucali, but IMO Staten Island has like the next 3 of the next 5 on the list

• chicitybulls - Apr 5, 2013 at 3:01 PM

The fact that you call Chicago pizza a joke tells me everything I need to know. You can say that NY pizza is better but to call Chicago pizza a joke…well…is a joke in and of itself. Chicago pizza is known throughout the country so there has to be something to it. It’s not like saying Kansas City pizza or Denver pizza (no disrespect to those places) is a joke.

• davidly - Apr 5, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Please. You guys are arguing over taste?
        I’ve had pizza in Chicago that blows most of what I’ve had in NY away, and I’ve had pizza in NY that blows most of what I’ve had in Chicago away.

The best pizza I ever ate was in Indianapolis, but you’re not gonna read me laying claims to Nap-town being the pizza capital of the world, or some sh**.

• revansrevenant - Apr 6, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Boston has the best pizza. Had pizza in Chicago and New York, was not impressed. The North End, however… that is where it is happening

• football58 - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:23 PM

So where in Chicago has the best pizza?

• chicitybulls - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Depends on what kind you want. Personally for deep dish I like Giordanos and for thin crust Home Run Inn is the place to go. Connies is pretty good too.

• michaeljordanseviltwin - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Gino’s East is pretty awesome

• fanofevilempire - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:57 PM

on the corner of no where has the best Chicago pizza and
        on any Brooklyn Street has the best Peezaaaaaaaaaa.

no contest!

• akmgiants - Apr 5, 2013 at 3:54 PM

no where. don’t listen to this idiot

• football58 - Apr 5, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I am from Denver but will be visiting Chicago in a few months. needed to know where to get my grub on

• jrose606 - Apr 5, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Lou Malnati’s is the best pizza in Chicago. And Comparing deep dish to thin crust NYC pizza is like comparing apple’s and assault rifles. Chicago Deep Dish is an event, you’re parking your ass in a chair and aren’t moving for a few hours.

• badintent - Apr 6, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Umberto’s Lake Success , NY for the deep dish says my NY guy, he’s eaten at over 200 pizza joints and counting……..
        I’m sure Chicago has good pie too, but Boston Pizza and everything Boston sucks ………………..
        California Pizza Kitchen has all their toppings out of a can. Nothing is fresh. sucks !

• akmgiants - Apr 5, 2013 at 3:56 PM

new orleans pizza is way better than chicago pizza. but nothing beats my hometown of brooklyn

• jimeejohnson - Apr 5, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Chicago Pizza would be the better choice for gaining weight. All the fat people there are all the proof you need.

2. thenew013 - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I eat pretty much whatever i want and i have been stuck between 130 and 135 (5’5″) since i graduated high school. i dont even care if its muscle or fat anymore i just want some weight!!! Would love to see it work out for him though seeing as the success of his b-ball career depends on it.

• chicitybulls - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I’m pretty much like you. Graduated at 180lbs (6’3″). “Blew up” to about 220 a few years ago (mostly in the gut) after eating and not doing much but now back down to 200. I’d like to put on another 10lbs of muscle and I’ll be ok.

• bovice23 - Apr 5, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Two words: Whole Milk. Drink a gallon a day. It’s 2400 calories just for that plus 128 g protein. You’ll gain weight.

3. cantonbound13 - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:46 PM

That’s the same plan 1972wasalongtimeago is on. His results have not been so successful.

4. asimonetti88 - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I know the wins aren’t there yet but I think Williams has proven to be a good coach for New Orleans. Their players play hard and their youngsters continue to improve. If they continue to draft well this team could be pretty good with Williams at the helm.

5. themagicfanguy - Apr 5, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Most of the pizza in Brooklyn is overrated and poorly made. Some is good though. The best pizza I’ve had in the south is at La Forchetta in Kissimmee, FL. Not many places around here do it right though :(

• badintent - Apr 6, 2013 at 2:27 AM

I went to Rollins for 4 years, all the local pizza crust tasted like dry crackers. Thank God for summer and X-mas vacations for real NY pizza. Best NY pizza is in Manhattan. You gotta be the best there, the rents are off the wall high !Take out a second mortgage to buy a Scilian with extra everything, prices are super high but worth it.

6. gza385 - Apr 5, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Eating a lot of pizza isn’t going to make him stronger. Its going to make him fatter.

7. zerole00 - Apr 5, 2013 at 5:12 PM

There’s putting on good weight, and putting on bad weight. Wouldn’t it be better if he was eating fish and lean meat instead of greasy pizza?

• jimeejohnson - Apr 5, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Pizza greasy? That grease is known as saturated fat and it comes from cheese and meat toppings. Dumb, fat Americans have adulterated pizza from its original, Italian form, reflecting America’s love affair with gluttonous slobbery. Eat Chicago style pizza to get even fatter, faster.

8. yousuxxors - Apr 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM

besides NY Chicago is the only other city known for pizza.

9. davidly - Apr 5, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Considering he and Garnett both list 220, and KG has an inch on him, I don’t think gaining weight is an issue, per se. A good NBA strength program wouldn’t hurt, though.

10. jthammerstix - Apr 5, 2013 at 9:41 PM

This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever read.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches