Apr 5, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
Anthony Davis is on every man’s dream diet.
The Hornets rookie has improved and been impressive as the season has worn on — 15.5 points a game on 52.8 percent shooting with 9.9 rebounds and 1.6 blocks a game in his last 15 contests — but there are things he needs to work on.
One of them is getting physically bigger and stronger — he’s got to put on weight. Which means he needs to eat a lot. And you have to eat a lot there is no better city in America to be in than New Orleans. So what Cajun cooking specialty is he chowing down on?
Pizza. I know. But Marc Spears has the story at Yahoo Sports.
Specifically from the city’s Reginelli’s Pizzeria chain restaurant, where his pie of choice is a large with double pepperoni and double sausage.
“He eats pizza, man. It’s like if anyone says, ‘P … I’ and then, ‘Pizza,’ he perks up,” Hornets coach Monty Williams said. “This dude has this fascination with pizza. It’s unreal.”
I love pizza, too, but man you are in New Orleans. Great gumbo is around every corner. Amazing fish dishes. Beignets. You got to do more than just pizza.
But the bottom line is he needs to get stronger.
“(Carlos) Boozer made a point of trying to hurt him, basically,” Williams said. “He just tried to smash him every play. I thought, ‘This could be ugly for him if he doesn’t get stronger.’ I started talking to him about, ‘Right now you have to use your quickness because you can’t out-strength these guys.’
“That has been a turning point for him because he is starting to use his speed more, running more. Just doing all the things most guys can’t do at his position. He’s still a way off. If you look at his numbers and the way he’s played and you have to give him a grade, one through 12th grade, he’s like seventh or eighth grader because of the strength and know-how.”
But if you watch how smart a game he plays, the versatility, the defense, and you see why he was the No. 1 pick. Damian Lillard is rightfully going to be the Rookie of the Year, but in three years you’ll want Davis on your team more. Guys such as Kevin Garnett have said he is going to be special. The guys on Team USA last summer — LeBron James, Kobe Bryant — took AD under their wing. Everyone sees it.
He’s just got to get stronger. And eat a lot more pizza.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 9
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 39
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31