Apr 4, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
When you first think of the Knicks championship teams you flash to Willis Reed coming out of the tunnel for Game 7 of the 1970 finals.
But the 1973 team was different — it was a team that battled some injuries during the season but came together late for a run through the playoffs.
Knicks legend Walt Frazier — the leading scorer of the 1973 team at 21.1 points a game — watches this year’s Knicks team, and their recent 10-game winning streak, and thinks it looks pretty familiar to him, he told the New York Daily News.
“We had a lot of injuries throughout that season,” the Knick legend said Wednesday, before the Knicks were too much for the Atlanta Hawks at Philips Arena. “We were a very talented team. I’ve always said we had more talent on that team than we did on our first championship team, which really personified team basketball. But we had guys in and out all season, and then we got hot, just like this team is doing now, and we really took off in the playoffs.”
The 1973 Knicks team had the second best record in the East but nobody expected them to beat the 68-win Celtics with MVP Dave Cowens. Then out of the West there was the defending champion Lakers with Jerry West and Wilt Chamberlain. The Knicks were good but not supposed to be at a championship level. Turns out they were.
Knicks fans would love to see history repeat itself 30-years later.
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 8
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 5
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3