Apr 4, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
When you first think of the Knicks championship teams you flash to Willis Reed coming out of the tunnel for Game 7 of the 1970 finals.
But the 1973 team was different — it was a team that battled some injuries during the season but came together late for a run through the playoffs.
Knicks legend Walt Frazier — the leading scorer of the 1973 team at 21.1 points a game — watches this year’s Knicks team, and their recent 10-game winning streak, and thinks it looks pretty familiar to him, he told the New York Daily News.
“We had a lot of injuries throughout that season,” the Knick legend said Wednesday, before the Knicks were too much for the Atlanta Hawks at Philips Arena. “We were a very talented team. I’ve always said we had more talent on that team than we did on our first championship team, which really personified team basketball. But we had guys in and out all season, and then we got hot, just like this team is doing now, and we really took off in the playoffs.”
The 1973 Knicks team had the second best record in the East but nobody expected them to beat the 68-win Celtics with MVP Dave Cowens. Then out of the West there was the defending champion Lakers with Jerry West and Wilt Chamberlain. The Knicks were good but not supposed to be at a championship level. Turns out they were.
Knicks fans would love to see history repeat itself 30-years later.
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 0
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 23
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 45
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 54
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23