Apr 4, 2013, 12:29 PM EDT
UPDATE 12:29 am: Doc Rivers spoke with reporters after Kevin Garnett returned to practice on Thursday. Rivers said Garnett may go through shootaround but will not play Friday night.
However, he said Garnett may go Sunday.
As we said before, this is all good for Boston — their defense is elite when KG is on the court, pedestrian when he is not. What they really need him back for is the playoffs.
9:07 am: The Boston Celtics are not the same team without Kevin Garnett — defensively they fall apart. On the season, the Celtics defense gives up 7.2 more points per 100 possessions when Garnett is off the court (according to NBA.com).
He has missed the last seven games with an ankle injury and Boston has gone 3-4 without him, but it looks like he could return Sunday, according to the Boston Globe.
A team source said that forward Kevin Garnett, who missed his seventh consecutive game with inflammation in his left ankle, is expected to return to action Friday against the Cavaliers.
“Yeah, I guess. I don’t even know,” Rivers said when asked if Garnett would play this week. “Honestly, I haven’t asked one question about it.”
When Garnett went out he was expected to miss two weeks, which would be up over this weekend. So the timing is about right.
The Celtics have locked up a playoff spot and KG should not rush back to play in regular season games — they need him at 100 percent (or as close to it as he can get) for the playoffs. More rest is better than not enough here.
But they sure could use him on the court. And this is KG, you know he wants to get back out there. So maybe Friday.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50