Apr 4, 2013, 12:29 PM EDT
UPDATE 12:29 am: Doc Rivers spoke with reporters after Kevin Garnett returned to practice on Thursday. Rivers said Garnett may go through shootaround but will not play Friday night.
However, he said Garnett may go Sunday.
As we said before, this is all good for Boston — their defense is elite when KG is on the court, pedestrian when he is not. What they really need him back for is the playoffs.
9:07 am: The Boston Celtics are not the same team without Kevin Garnett — defensively they fall apart. On the season, the Celtics defense gives up 7.2 more points per 100 possessions when Garnett is off the court (according to NBA.com).
He has missed the last seven games with an ankle injury and Boston has gone 3-4 without him, but it looks like he could return Sunday, according to the Boston Globe.
A team source said that forward Kevin Garnett, who missed his seventh consecutive game with inflammation in his left ankle, is expected to return to action Friday against the Cavaliers.
“Yeah, I guess. I don’t even know,” Rivers said when asked if Garnett would play this week. “Honestly, I haven’t asked one question about it.”
When Garnett went out he was expected to miss two weeks, which would be up over this weekend. So the timing is about right.
The Celtics have locked up a playoff spot and KG should not rush back to play in regular season games — they need him at 100 percent (or as close to it as he can get) for the playoffs. More rest is better than not enough here.
But they sure could use him on the court. And this is KG, you know he wants to get back out there. So maybe Friday.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 13
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31