Apr 4, 2013, 4:36 PM EDT
The Hall of Fame is going to fit Gary Payton like a glove.
Payton seemed likely to make the cut out of this year’s Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame finalists — and he should, he was one of the greatest point guards of his generation. This was a no-brainer. But with the Hall sometimes you still have to wonder.
The official announcement isn’t until Monday in Atlanta (at the Final Four) but Scott Howard-Cooper of NBA.com says he’s in.
Gary Payton very excited yesterday after getting word he had been elected to the Hall of Fame. Official announcement coming Monday.—
Scott Howard-Cooper (@SHowardCooper) April 04, 2013
Payton had talked to PBT about this back when he was nominated.
“It’s showing a lot of people have respected the things I’ve done in basketball and it’s showing I’ve done a lot in basketball,” Payton said. “And I’m really happy for it. Not a lot of people can get in the Hall of Fame, it’s a great honor. I hope that I can make it.”
He did, and he deserved it. Payton is a nine-time All-Star, an NBA champion (2006 Miami Heat), a career 16.3 points and 6.7 assists a game guy. But it was on the defensive end Payton made his name — a nine-time NBA All Defensive Team selection and one time Defensive Player of the Year.
Congrats to Payton, he deserved it.
Other finalists include Bernard King, Mitch Richmond, Tim Hardaway and Maurice Cheeks. Other reports have said Guy Lewis (University of Houston and Phi Slamma Jamma) also made the Hall of Fame.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 0
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 30
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21