Report: Gary Payton elected to basketball Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2013, 4:36 PM EDT

Gary Payton Getty Images

The Hall of Fame is going to fit Gary Payton like a glove.

Payton seemed likely to make the cut out of this year’s Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame finalists — and he should, he was one of the greatest point guards of his generation. This was a no-brainer. But with the Hall sometimes you still have to wonder.

The official announcement isn’t until Monday in Atlanta (at the Final Four) but Scott Howard-Cooper of NBA.com says he’s in.

Payton had talked to PBT about this back when he was nominated.

“It’s showing a lot of people have respected the things I’ve done in basketball and it’s showing I’ve done a lot in basketball,” Payton said. “And I’m really happy for it. Not a lot of people can get in the Hall of Fame, it’s a great honor. I hope that I can make it.”

He did, and he deserved it. Payton is a nine-time All-Star, an NBA champion (2006 Miami Heat), a career 16.3 points and 6.7 assists a game guy. But it was on the defensive end Payton made his name — a nine-time NBA All Defensive Team selection and one time Defensive Player of the Year.

Congrats to Payton, he deserved it.

Other finalists include Bernard King, Mitch Richmond, Tim Hardaway and Maurice Cheeks. Other reports have said Guy Lewis (University of Houston and Phi Slamma Jamma) also made the Hall of Fame.

1. fotydaze - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Bernard King is long past due!!!!

• fanofevilempire - Apr 4, 2013 at 7:52 PM

you got that right!

2. asimonetti88 - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Well deserved, congrats Glove.

• 808raiderinparadise - Apr 4, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Thats my favorite player, ever.

Reason I got into basketball.

Never seen a PG defend like him since.

3. Mr. Wright 212 - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:15 PM

AGAIN, WHERE IS BERNARD KING???

• rodgersmvp - Apr 5, 2013 at 12:06 AM

• dangernearing - Apr 5, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Shut up, Tim

4. jobotjones - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Congrats to the Glove Well deserved.

Having said that get King in there too he is long overdue.

5. jimeejohnson - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Bernard King was one of the best, ever. Had to see him to believe him.

• Mr. Wright 212 - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:56 PM

For real. Even after the injury (which I saw back at the time), he was scoring nearly 30 PPG with the Bullets. I still hate that Stirling traded him. That was the last straw for Pitino, I feel.

Thank God I had Home Team Sports Network and could see most Bullets games. Melo is a more athletic version of the Washington King, and almost mirror image of pre-knee King (with sharper footwork).

6. chazzmon - Apr 4, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Congrats to the Glove, well deserved! Bring back the Sonics!
    And I’m with you guys Bernard King needs to be in the HOF!

7. badintent - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:16 PM

He can be honored at Key Area when the Sonics come back !!

8. deadeyedesign23 - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:26 PM

“The Hall of Fame is going to fit Gary Payton like a glove.”

Jeez.

9. hojo20 - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Will Spawn Kemp introduce The Glove?

10. seahawksbmx - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Congrats, GP. Between the music and the Sonics, the ’90s were a very fun time in Seattle.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches