Apr 4, 2013, 2:01 PM EDT
You wanted more JaVale McGee, you got him.
McGee is one of the NBA’s best athletes but is as capable of making a head-scratching decision on the court as he is making your jaw drop with this athleticism. His mother — a former college player at USC — is an outspoken defender of her son. McGee can stand is own ground, too.
McGee became synonymous with some of the problems with the Washington Wizards in past seasons — that was a team with a lot of talent and an unprofessional locker room. It’s part of the reason McGee was traded to the Nuggets, where even coach George Karl said, “He’s got to understand that lazy and crazy isn’t going to make it work.” However his teammates like Andre Iguodala has got his back.
McGee with his mother could make good television, JP Finlay says at CSNWashington.com. He explains why.
Pamela McGee made news in D.C. when JaVale played for the Wizards by defending her son’s actions on and off the court…. The term “knucklehead” became synonymous with those Wizards teams, to the point where Pamela McGee spoke with Washington Post columnist Mike Wise to defend her son and tell the world JaVale “is not a knucklehead.”
In reply, Charles Barkley was quoted at the time saying, “I’m so disappointed in JaVale McGee. He has not gotten better as a player. Now, he’s just doing stupid stuff. When your mom has to tell people you’re not a knucklehead, you probably are a knucklehead.”
That sounds like a reality show to me.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 8
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43