Apr 4, 2013, 2:01 PM EDT
You wanted more JaVale McGee, you got him.
McGee is one of the NBA’s best athletes but is as capable of making a head-scratching decision on the court as he is making your jaw drop with this athleticism. His mother — a former college player at USC — is an outspoken defender of her son. McGee can stand is own ground, too.
McGee became synonymous with some of the problems with the Washington Wizards in past seasons — that was a team with a lot of talent and an unprofessional locker room. It’s part of the reason McGee was traded to the Nuggets, where even coach George Karl said, “He’s got to understand that lazy and crazy isn’t going to make it work.” However his teammates like Andre Iguodala has got his back.
McGee with his mother could make good television, JP Finlay says at CSNWashington.com. He explains why.
Pamela McGee made news in D.C. when JaVale played for the Wizards by defending her son’s actions on and off the court…. The term “knucklehead” became synonymous with those Wizards teams, to the point where Pamela McGee spoke with Washington Post columnist Mike Wise to defend her son and tell the world JaVale “is not a knucklehead.”
In reply, Charles Barkley was quoted at the time saying, “I’m so disappointed in JaVale McGee. He has not gotten better as a player. Now, he’s just doing stupid stuff. When your mom has to tell people you’re not a knucklehead, you probably are a knucklehead.”
That sounds like a reality show to me.
- Stephen Curry wins MVP with 100 of 130 first-place votes, but James Harden closest second place in four years 3
- PBT Second Round Playoff Preview: Los Angeles Clippers vs. Houston Rockets 8
- Ginobili, Duncan, Popovich dance around questions about Spurs’ future 8
- Reports: Stephen Curry to be named MVP Monday 40
- Hawks start hot, finish cold, Wizards take Game 1 on road 104-98. 8
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Preview: Washington Wizards vs. Atlanta Hawks 4
- Adjusting for playoff rotations round two: Watch out for the Wizards 2
- Hobbled Chris Paul, Clippers’ role players do just enough to dethrone Spurs in Game 7 20