Apr 4, 2013, 2:01 PM EDT
You wanted more JaVale McGee, you got him.
McGee is one of the NBA’s best athletes but is as capable of making a head-scratching decision on the court as he is making your jaw drop with this athleticism. His mother — a former college player at USC — is an outspoken defender of her son. McGee can stand is own ground, too.
McGee became synonymous with some of the problems with the Washington Wizards in past seasons — that was a team with a lot of talent and an unprofessional locker room. It’s part of the reason McGee was traded to the Nuggets, where even coach George Karl said, “He’s got to understand that lazy and crazy isn’t going to make it work.” However his teammates like Andre Iguodala has got his back.
McGee with his mother could make good television, JP Finlay says at CSNWashington.com. He explains why.
Pamela McGee made news in D.C. when JaVale played for the Wizards by defending her son’s actions on and off the court…. The term “knucklehead” became synonymous with those Wizards teams, to the point where Pamela McGee spoke with Washington Post columnist Mike Wise to defend her son and tell the world JaVale “is not a knucklehead.”
In reply, Charles Barkley was quoted at the time saying, “I’m so disappointed in JaVale McGee. He has not gotten better as a player. Now, he’s just doing stupid stuff. When your mom has to tell people you’re not a knucklehead, you probably are a knucklehead.”
That sounds like a reality show to me.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 3
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48