Danilo Gallinari leaves game with knee injury (VIDEO)

Apr 4, 2013, 10:55 PM EDT

This did not look good. At all.

With 4:16 remaining in the second quarter Thursday night in Denver, Danilo Gallinari went to the floor on the baseline after his left knee appeared to buckle after he came to a jump stop on a drive to the basket.

Gallinari appeared to be in a lot of pain, and was placed in a wheelchair once he left the court.

The Nuggets announced that Gallinari would not return, and that an MRI was scheduled for Friday to determine the extent of the injury.

The loss of Gallinari would be a crushing blow to a Nuggets team that’s already without Ty Lawson due to a plantar fascia injury. Lawson may be back in a couple of weeks, but whether or not he’ll immediately be capable of pushing the pace to the level he has all season remains to be seen.

Gallinari is second only to Lawson in scoring in Denver, and is averaging 16.3 points, 5.2 rebounds, and 2.5 assists in 32.8 minutes per game this season.

1. nygrwy - Apr 4, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Looks like ACL. Speedy recovery Gallo

2. broncobeta - Apr 4, 2013 at 11:34 PM

There’s just no way he comes back this year. This was very reminiscent of D-Rose.

It’s gonna sting without him…

3. jhuck92 - Apr 4, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Belissimo!

…In all seriousness, I hope it’s nothing too bad.

4. gotchangeforadollar - Apr 4, 2013 at 11:39 PM

While I’m not a fan of Denver at all (Go Grizzlies!), I really hate to see this happen to them when the playoffs are right around the corner. Hopefully, Ty comes back just fine and someone else picks up the slack since Gallo’s likely out indefinitely.

• broncobeta - Apr 4, 2013 at 11:58 PM

I feel the same about the Grizz.

I was sad when I heard Gasol was out indef. I’m glad he’s back though. Small market teams gotta represent.

5. nodindenver - Apr 5, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Nugs are deep. Ill Will has got next. It is good to say next man up; especially when the next man up is Wilson Chandler. Gallo has started based on his contract size not his playing ability this year; I like the guy but, his out of control drives and missed jumpers need a rest. Get well big fella!

6. kb2408 - Apr 5, 2013 at 12:18 AM

^ Wilson is ok but he’s not better than Gallo. Though the Nuggets are deep, this injury definitely hurts them.

• broncobeta - Apr 5, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Many fans argue that Chandler is better. I don’t know if I agree, but he’s not much farther behind Gallo.

7. lucifershuttlesworth - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:31 AM

What a difference a night makes, I liked the Italian Celebration video much more than this. I used to cringe when he got the ball but I’ve become a big fan of his versatility, skill and attitude. I have faith in Brewer and Chandler as well but this is bad news for the Nuggs. Get well Rooster.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches