NBA players’ reaction: They wouldn’t put up with Mike Rice’s crap

Apr 3, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT

Mike Rice AP

Watch Mike Rice’s video rants against players that got the Rutgers basketball coach canned and the first reactions are about the power disparity in college athletics — the coaches have the power and the players can do little about it. It’s a key point made by my buddy Kay Adams (host of PBT Extra and more at NBC).

NBA players saw that video, too, and their reactions were that of grown men who have some power over their careers — they wouldn’t put up with it and wouldn’t let their kids tolerate it either.

The video made Ray Allen fighting angry, he told the Palm Beach Post.

“I mean, it was just despicable,” Allen said. “Not only as a parent, but I think about where I went, the places I’ve gone in my career, my parents kind of lent me to all these other people. I’ve been raised not only by Mom and Dad, but by several coaches, AAU coaches, high school coaches and then my college coach, and all of them had a hand in getting me to who I am today. And not to mention the teachers that I grew up under, learning, so we trust in the people we lend our kids off to, to help them grow. And I only hope when I let my kids go, there’s somebody watching them and growing and making sure they do that…

“You can ask anybody in the locker room that saw that video, they felt the same way. That ball came at me that way, it would have been going back the other direction, right back at him. You know what, we say that as professionals, but as a collegiate athlete, you’re trying to make it, you’re trusting higher powers and coaches, I don’t know what I would have done. But that’s going to affect those kids long-term.”

A number of other NBA players took to twitter.

Coaches yell — NBA coaches yell — but there is a line and Rice crossed it like Seth MacFarlane at the Oscars. And then some. And it wasn’t remotely funny. That Rutgers saw that tape and suspended him for three games makes me wonder about that university’s priorities.

Latest Posts
  1. Andrei Kirilenko wants Lionel Hollins to play him more than Jason Kidd did

Sep 16, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT

Andrei Kirilenko Andrei Kirilenko

Kirilenko played by far career-low 19 minutes per game last season

2. 67RIEFNS No. 4: Andrew Wiggins vs. Jabari Parker

Sep 16, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT

Jabari Parker, Andrew Wiggins Jabari Parker, Andrew Wiggins

No. 1 and No. 2 picks in the NBA draft square off against each other, expectations

3. Steve Clifford sees Marvin Williams as primarily stretch four with Hornets

Sep 16, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Josh McRoberts, Marvin Williams Josh McRoberts, Marvin Williams

Williams, who plays both forward positions, now favorite to replace Josh McRoberts in starting lineup

4. ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks

Sep 16, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

Derek Fisher Derek Fisher

Plenty of changes, but enough to make the playoffs?

5. Report: Spurs open to signing-and-trading Aron Baynes

Sep 16, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Patty Mills Foot Locker In Store Appearance Patty Mills Foot Locker In Store Appearance

San Antonio already has 17 players, qualifying offer out to Baynes

6. Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant

Sep 16, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Los Angeles Lakers Golden State Warriors v Los Angeles Lakers

Bill Duffy: ‘Klay Thompson right now is the top two-way, two-guard in basketball’

7. Deron Williams says after surgery his ankles feel the best they have in years

Sep 16, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT

Deron Williams AP

Deron Williams opening the season healthy would be huge… but just the start of what they need from him.

8. Clippers sign Australian forward Joe Ingles

Sep 16, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

BASKET-EURL-BARCELONA-PANATHINAIKOS BASKET-EURL-BARCELONA-PANATHINAIKOS

Ingles excelled in World Cup, completes dominoes set in motion by Jared Dudley trade

9. Serbia holds impassioned celebration for World Cup silver medal

Sep 16, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT

2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup - Day Fourteen Getty Images

You won’t see this for the Americans’ gold medal

10. Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault

Sep 15, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT

New details about incident in which he allegedly punched ex-girlfriend in the face

11. Cavaliers work out Lou Amundson

Sep 15, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v New Orleans Hornets Cleveland Cavaliers v New Orleans Hornets

Amundson’s best days are behind him, but maybe he can find a niche in Cleveland

12. Report: Wizards close to signing Damion James

Sep 15, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT

New Jersey Nets v Washington Wizards New Jersey Nets v Washington Wizards

Washington building up competition for open 15th spot

13. Wizards sign shooting guard Xavier Silas

Sep 15, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT

Xavier Silas Xavier Silas

Silas appears to have real chance of making the team

14. PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup?

Sep 15, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT

Derrick Rose stayed healthy but never shook the rust fully off his shot.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches