NBA players’ reaction: They wouldn’t put up with Mike Rice’s crap

Apr 3, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT

Mike Rice AP

Watch Mike Rice’s video rants against players that got the Rutgers basketball coach canned and the first reactions are about the power disparity in college athletics — the coaches have the power and the players can do little about it. It’s a key point made by my buddy Kay Adams (host of PBT Extra and more at NBC).

NBA players saw that video, too, and their reactions were that of grown men who have some power over their careers — they wouldn’t put up with it and wouldn’t let their kids tolerate it either.

The video made Ray Allen fighting angry, he told the Palm Beach Post.

“I mean, it was just despicable,” Allen said. “Not only as a parent, but I think about where I went, the places I’ve gone in my career, my parents kind of lent me to all these other people. I’ve been raised not only by Mom and Dad, but by several coaches, AAU coaches, high school coaches and then my college coach, and all of them had a hand in getting me to who I am today. And not to mention the teachers that I grew up under, learning, so we trust in the people we lend our kids off to, to help them grow. And I only hope when I let my kids go, there’s somebody watching them and growing and making sure they do that…

“You can ask anybody in the locker room that saw that video, they felt the same way. That ball came at me that way, it would have been going back the other direction, right back at him. You know what, we say that as professionals, but as a collegiate athlete, you’re trying to make it, you’re trusting higher powers and coaches, I don’t know what I would have done. But that’s going to affect those kids long-term.”

A number of other NBA players took to twitter.

Coaches yell — NBA coaches yell — but there is a line and Rice crossed it like Seth MacFarlane at the Oscars. And then some. And it wasn’t remotely funny. That Rutgers saw that tape and suspended him for three games makes me wonder about that university’s priorities.

Latest Posts
  1. Cavaliers give sneak peek of new home court design (VIDEO)

Oct 1, 2014, 12:06 AM EDT

cavs court

New floor should be in place for the start of the 2014-15 season.

2. Nuggets mascot in trouble after making unauthorized appearance at GOP rally

Sep 30, 2014, 10:51 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Professional sports franchises are businesses above all else, and typically would rather avoid politics.

3. Tuesday And-1 Links: Rudy Gay, Kings not really talking next contract right now

Sep 30, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT

Rudy Gay, Pete D'Alessandro, Michael Malone Rudy Gay, Pete D'Alessandro, Michael Malone

Ben McLemore knows how to photobomb. His coach isn’t sure he can do much else.

4. John Calipari hired someone to send NBA advanced stats of Kentucky’s players

Sep 30, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT

John Calipari John Calipari

I don’t know whether this helps Kentucky’s players. It opens Calipari’s options, though.

5. Former NBA player, current TNT analyst Kenny Smith gets reality show with family

Sep 30, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT

Kenny Smith Getty Images

Now we know what show promos TNT is going to beat us over the head with during the next playoffs.

6. ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat

Sep 30, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT

Chris Bosh Chris Bosh

Expectations are reduced, but Miami still has the chance to be pretty a pretty good team — even without LeBron James.

7. Dion Waiters on claim Wizards have NBA’s best backcourt: ‘That’s nonsense’

Sep 30, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT

Washington Wizards v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

John Wall fires back: ‘They haven’t seen a playoff game yet. When they make one they can start talking.’

8. Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami

Sep 30, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT

San Antonio Spurs v Miami Heat - Game 7 Getty Images

Mike Miller being amnestied may have been the first domino to fall in LeBron bolting.

9. LeBron James dealing with back pain

Sep 30, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers Media Day Getty Images

LeBron could miss Cavaliers’ practice tonight

10. Brian Shaw wants Ty Lawson to watch Peyton Manning practice, lead team

Sep 30, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Manning leads by detailed preparation and then an ability to read a defense, a good example for any point guard.

11. Ricky Rubio with half-court alley-oop to Andrew Wiggins (VIDEO)

Sep 30, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Timberwolves New Players Getty Images

We could see a lot more of this during the season.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches