NBA players’ reaction: They wouldn’t put up with Mike Rice’s crap

Apr 3, 2013, 2:34 PM EST

Mike Rice AP

Watch Mike Rice’s video rants against players that got the Rutgers basketball coach canned and the first reactions are about the power disparity in college athletics — the coaches have the power and the players can do little about it. It’s a key point made by my buddy Kay Adams (host of PBT Extra and more at NBC).

NBA players saw that video, too, and their reactions were that of grown men who have some power over their careers — they wouldn’t put up with it and wouldn’t let their kids tolerate it either.

The video made Ray Allen fighting angry, he told the Palm Beach Post.

“I mean, it was just despicable,” Allen said. “Not only as a parent, but I think about where I went, the places I’ve gone in my career, my parents kind of lent me to all these other people. I’ve been raised not only by Mom and Dad, but by several coaches, AAU coaches, high school coaches and then my college coach, and all of them had a hand in getting me to who I am today. And not to mention the teachers that I grew up under, learning, so we trust in the people we lend our kids off to, to help them grow. And I only hope when I let my kids go, there’s somebody watching them and growing and making sure they do that…

“You can ask anybody in the locker room that saw that video, they felt the same way. That ball came at me that way, it would have been going back the other direction, right back at him. You know what, we say that as professionals, but as a collegiate athlete, you’re trying to make it, you’re trusting higher powers and coaches, I don’t know what I would have done. But that’s going to affect those kids long-term.”

A number of other NBA players took to twitter.

Coaches yell — NBA coaches yell — but there is a line and Rice crossed it like Seth MacFarlane at the Oscars. And then some. And it wasn’t remotely funny. That Rutgers saw that tape and suspended him for three games makes me wonder about that university’s priorities.

Latest Posts
  1. Sixers’ Joel Embiid throws down between-the-legs dunk in warmups, remains sidelined

Mar 6, 2015, 9:30 PM EST

Indiana Pacers v Philadelphia 76ers Getty Images

Sixers remain uninterested in getting their most talented players on the floor.

2. Jeanie Buss promises ‘changes’ if Lakers aren’t contenders again soon

Mar 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EST

Jeanie Buss

Lakers are desperately trying to get back to the level of title contenders.

3. Report: Marc Gasol has already ruled out joining Knicks in free agency

Mar 6, 2015, 7:30 PM EST

Memphis Grizzlies v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Gasol will be an unrestricted free agent this summer, but is more than likely to remain with the Grizzlies.

4. Kendrick Perkins ready to play enforcer for LeBron James. He’s looking at you, Jonas Valanciunas.

Mar 6, 2015, 4:50 PM EST

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptm2n2zjzda4nzewmdi2odvizmm0mdc3nzjkyzfjogi1 AP

It’s starting to feel like the playoffs are coming, play is getting chippy.

5. Royce White says he’s not done playing basketball

Mar 6, 2015, 3:12 PM EST

Royce White AP

It would be a long road back for White, but there is a road.

6. Kyle Lowry returning from injuries after ‘trash’ self-assessment

Mar 6, 2015, 2:37 PM EST

The Toronto Raptors took on the Golden State Warriors at the ACC Getty Images

Raptors need their All-Star point guard to get on track

7. Wesley Matthews’ injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing

Mar 6, 2015, 10:34 AM EST

Wesley Matthews, LaMarcus Aldridge, Damian Lillard, Robin Lopez, Nicolas Batum AP

Portland can overcome loss of shooting guard, but it won’t be easy

8. Larry Bird talks trash about Dominique Wilkins’ statue

Mar 6, 2015, 9:07 AM EST

Dominique Wilkins Statue Unveiling Ceremony Getty Images

Former Celtics star continues what he began Wilkins’ rookie year

Is Derrick Rose the next Penny Hardaway?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches