NBA players’ reaction: They wouldn’t put up with Mike Rice’s crap

Apr 3, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT

Mike Rice AP

Watch Mike Rice’s video rants against players that got the Rutgers basketball coach canned and the first reactions are about the power disparity in college athletics — the coaches have the power and the players can do little about it. It’s a key point made by my buddy Kay Adams (host of PBT Extra and more at NBC).

NBA players saw that video, too, and their reactions were that of grown men who have some power over their careers — they wouldn’t put up with it and wouldn’t let their kids tolerate it either.

The video made Ray Allen fighting angry, he told the Palm Beach Post.

“I mean, it was just despicable,” Allen said. “Not only as a parent, but I think about where I went, the places I’ve gone in my career, my parents kind of lent me to all these other people. I’ve been raised not only by Mom and Dad, but by several coaches, AAU coaches, high school coaches and then my college coach, and all of them had a hand in getting me to who I am today. And not to mention the teachers that I grew up under, learning, so we trust in the people we lend our kids off to, to help them grow. And I only hope when I let my kids go, there’s somebody watching them and growing and making sure they do that…

“You can ask anybody in the locker room that saw that video, they felt the same way. That ball came at me that way, it would have been going back the other direction, right back at him. You know what, we say that as professionals, but as a collegiate athlete, you’re trying to make it, you’re trusting higher powers and coaches, I don’t know what I would have done. But that’s going to affect those kids long-term.”

A number of other NBA players took to twitter.

Coaches yell — NBA coaches yell — but there is a line and Rice crossed it like Seth MacFarlane at the Oscars. And then some. And it wasn’t remotely funny. That Rutgers saw that tape and suspended him for three games makes me wonder about that university’s priorities.

Latest Posts
  1. Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead

May 23, 2015, 12:25 AM EDT

Timofey Mozgov Timofey Mozgov

Cleveland shut down Atlanta’s offense in a dominant Game 2 performance.

2. No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks

May 22, 2015, 11:16 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

LeBron was great, and that was enough against a Hawks team that keeps losing guys due to injury.

3. James Harden was ‘kicking chairs’ after Rockets’ Game 2 loss to Warriors

May 22, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT

Houston Rockets v Golden State Warriors - Game Two Getty Images

There’s also video of Harden doing some damage in the tunnel on the way to the locker room.

4. Pero Antic commits flagrant foul on LeBron James (VIDEO)

May 22, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Atlanta Hawks - Game One Getty Images

Ruled a flagrant, which was probably the correct call under the circumstances.

5. Lakers not planning on trading the No. 2 pick in this year’s draft

May 22, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT

Mitch Kupchak AP

GM Mitch Kupchak: “It looks as though we’ll use our pick this year.”

6. Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks

May 22, 2015, 7:38 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

Irving is dealing with a knee injury.

7. Kobe Bryant tries to explain Stephen Curry with a riddle

May 22, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Explaining Stephen Curry’s game is just not that easy.

8. Clippers’ Dahntay Jones: There’s no rift between Chris Paul, DeAndre Jordan

May 22, 2015, 6:49 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

Did they disagree? Sure. Was there a rift… depends on who you ask.

9. Report: Clippers, other teams have made Summer League offers to Royce White

May 22, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT

Royce White AP

Summer League is a perfect place for giving White another look.

10. Report: Lakers have ‘big-time’ interest in signing DeMarre Carroll, Celtics and Pistons also in pursuit

May 22, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Would they pay him the $15 million per season one NBA executive estimated the Hawks forward could get in free agency?

11. Kyrie Irving misses shootaround, questionable for Game 2

May 22, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Atlanta Hawks - Game One Getty Images

Is his injury more serious than previously thought?

Small ball lineup propelled Warriors to Game 1 win