NBA players’ reaction: They wouldn’t put up with Mike Rice’s crap

Apr 3, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT

Mike Rice AP

Watch Mike Rice’s video rants against players that got the Rutgers basketball coach canned and the first reactions are about the power disparity in college athletics — the coaches have the power and the players can do little about it. It’s a key point made by my buddy Kay Adams (host of PBT Extra and more at NBC).

NBA players saw that video, too, and their reactions were that of grown men who have some power over their careers — they wouldn’t put up with it and wouldn’t let their kids tolerate it either.

The video made Ray Allen fighting angry, he told the Palm Beach Post.

“I mean, it was just despicable,” Allen said. “Not only as a parent, but I think about where I went, the places I’ve gone in my career, my parents kind of lent me to all these other people. I’ve been raised not only by Mom and Dad, but by several coaches, AAU coaches, high school coaches and then my college coach, and all of them had a hand in getting me to who I am today. And not to mention the teachers that I grew up under, learning, so we trust in the people we lend our kids off to, to help them grow. And I only hope when I let my kids go, there’s somebody watching them and growing and making sure they do that…

“You can ask anybody in the locker room that saw that video, they felt the same way. That ball came at me that way, it would have been going back the other direction, right back at him. You know what, we say that as professionals, but as a collegiate athlete, you’re trying to make it, you’re trusting higher powers and coaches, I don’t know what I would have done. But that’s going to affect those kids long-term.”

A number of other NBA players took to twitter.

Coaches yell — NBA coaches yell — but there is a line and Rice crossed it like Seth MacFarlane at the Oscars. And then some. And it wasn’t remotely funny. That Rutgers saw that tape and suspended him for three games makes me wonder about that university’s priorities.

Latest Posts
  1. Spurs’ Matt Bonner brings the championship trophy home to New Hampshire (VIDEO)

Jul 25, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Game Five Getty Images

Bonner is one of a few Spurs teammates taking the trophy on tour this summer.

2. Sixers sign another injured player, agree to deal with Pierre Jackson

Jul 24, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Pierre Jackson AP

Sixers continue their plan of seeking out delayed gratification.

3. Agency that reps Ray Allen says reports he intends to play for Cavaliers are ‘unfounded,’ no decision has been made

Jul 24, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT

Miami Heat's Allen and James slap hands during the second half of Game 4 of their NBA first round playoff series in Milwaukee Reuters

Despite reports that Allen was on the verge of signing with Cleveland, nothing has been decided just yet.

4. Blake Griffin withdraws from USA Basketball this summer

Jul 24, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT

Blake Griffin Getty Images

Blake Griffin joins Kawhi Leonard and LaMarcus Aldridge as players who are passing on Team USA this summer.

5. Thursday And-1 links: All-Star logos, Pharrell Williams, Carmelo Anthony as anchor on Knicks

Jul 24, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT

2015 All-Star logo

Plus there is an image of Dwyane Wade playing hoops with a dolphin.

6. Report: John Wall added to roster for Team USA training camp in Las Vegas

Jul 24, 2014, 7:18 PM EDT

John Wall, LeBron James

Team USA is bringing Kyrie Irving, Stephen Curry, Damian Lillard, Derrick Rose and John Wall to camp. And that’s just at the point guard spot.

7. Michael Jordan’s signed 1997-98 $33 million contract up for auction

Jul 24, 2014, 5:02 PM EDT

Michael Jordan AP

It’s the largest single-year contract in NBA history.

8. Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded

Jul 24, 2014, 4:19 PM EDT

Milwaukee Bucks v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

It’s another 30 days Minnesota can try to leverage a better deal out of Chicago, Golden State and anyone else who wants Kevin Love.

9. Is Paul George changing numbers?

Jul 24, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Indiana Pacers - Game 5 Getty Images

His new nickname could be PG-13.

10. Chandler Parsons: Rockets told me to pursue big contract, they’d match

Jul 24, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT

Chandler Parsons Chandler Parsons

Houston obviously didn’t match, allowing Parsons to sign with Mavericks

11. Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach

Jul 24, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Boston Celtics Getty Images

Do you think Jim Buss is going to give up his job, step aside for Rivers and put someone in over long-time trusted Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak? Really?

12. Nuggets sign former ACC Player of the Year Erick Green

Jul 24, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT

Nick Covington, Erick Green Nick Covington, Erick Green

Green, drafted No. 46 in 2013, spent a year overseas

13. Josh Huestis’ agent says D-League scheme arranged before NBA draft

Jul 24, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT

Josh Huestis Josh Huestis

Huestis would have accepted arrangement only with Thunder or Spurs, but will the NBA or players union allow it?

14. Isaiah Thomas: ‘I felt very disrespected’ by Kings

Jul 24, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT

Isaiah Thomas, Michael Malone Isaiah Thomas, Michael Malone

Sacramento’s search for a starting-caliber point guard let the one already there leave for Suns

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches