NBA players’ reaction: They wouldn’t put up with Mike Rice’s crap

Apr 3, 2013, 2:34 PM EST

Mike Rice AP

Watch Mike Rice’s video rants against players that got the Rutgers basketball coach canned and the first reactions are about the power disparity in college athletics — the coaches have the power and the players can do little about it. It’s a key point made by my buddy Kay Adams (host of PBT Extra and more at NBC).

NBA players saw that video, too, and their reactions were that of grown men who have some power over their careers — they wouldn’t put up with it and wouldn’t let their kids tolerate it either.

The video made Ray Allen fighting angry, he told the Palm Beach Post.

“I mean, it was just despicable,” Allen said. “Not only as a parent, but I think about where I went, the places I’ve gone in my career, my parents kind of lent me to all these other people. I’ve been raised not only by Mom and Dad, but by several coaches, AAU coaches, high school coaches and then my college coach, and all of them had a hand in getting me to who I am today. And not to mention the teachers that I grew up under, learning, so we trust in the people we lend our kids off to, to help them grow. And I only hope when I let my kids go, there’s somebody watching them and growing and making sure they do that…

“You can ask anybody in the locker room that saw that video, they felt the same way. That ball came at me that way, it would have been going back the other direction, right back at him. You know what, we say that as professionals, but as a collegiate athlete, you’re trying to make it, you’re trusting higher powers and coaches, I don’t know what I would have done. But that’s going to affect those kids long-term.”

A number of other NBA players took to twitter.

Coaches yell — NBA coaches yell — but there is a line and Rice crossed it like Seth MacFarlane at the Oscars. And then some. And it wasn’t remotely funny. That Rutgers saw that tape and suspended him for three games makes me wonder about that university’s priorities.

Latest Posts
  1. Knicks Samuel Dalembert fined $15,000 for elbowing Jonas Valanciunas in face (VIDEO)

Dec 22, 2014, 1:01 PM EST

Phoenix Suns v New York Knicks Phoenix Suns v New York Knicks

Maybe Dalembert wanted to get ejected so he didn’t have to watch any more of the Raptors easy win over the Knicks.

2. Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT?

Dec 22, 2014, 12:21 PM EST

Brooklyn Nets v Detroit Pistons Getty Images

Pistons use stretch provision on forward owed more than $35 million

3. Victor Oladipo, focused on effort and defense, still finds time to raise offense

Dec 22, 2014, 10:29 AM EST

Toronto Raptors beat the Orlando Magic 95-82 Getty Images

Magic guard avoiding sophomore slump of other top 2013-14 rookies

4. 76ers were third team in Corey Brewer trade, send Alexey Shved to Rockets

Dec 22, 2014, 9:39 AM EST

Atlanta Hawks v Houston Rockets Getty Images

Philadelphia will waive Turiaf, who’s injured and out for season

5. Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them.

Dec 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EST

Los Angeles Lakers v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

Byron Scott can tell Kobe to rest, but it will be Kobe’s decision. Kobe has the power in that relationship.

6. PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP

Dec 22, 2014, 1:43 AM EST

Anthony Davis, Chris Kaman AP

Quality win for LeBron James and the Cavaliers as well.

7. Rudy Gay dunks on all the Lakers (VIDEO)

Dec 22, 2014, 12:39 AM EST

Rudy Gay Rudy Gay

The seas part and Rudy Gay had a path to the rim.

8. Goran Dragic keeps his options open, says he’d consider coming to Knicks

Dec 21, 2014, 9:30 PM EST

Goran Dragic, Jose Calderon, Cole Aldrich AP

Of course he said he’d consider the Knicks, it’s just smart business.

9. Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson

Dec 21, 2014, 6:30 PM EST

George Karl AP

The very public meeting with Jackson was leverage to help get Karl to lower his asking price.

10. Brad Stevens insists he won’t leave Celtics for a college job

Dec 21, 2014, 5:00 PM EST

Brad Stevens Brad Stevens

Stevens dismisses rumors of Indiana University.

11. Iman Shumpert won’t require surgery for dislocated shoulder

Dec 21, 2014, 3:30 PM EST

Iman Shumpert Iman Shumpert

The Knicks guard will be reevaluated in two weeks.

12. Larry Sanders opens up about disastrous 2013-14 season

Dec 21, 2014, 12:30 PM EST

Larry Sanders Larry Sanders

Everything went wrong for Sanders and the Bucks last year.

13. Report: Lance Stephenson has clashed with Hornets teammates

Dec 21, 2014, 11:00 AM EST

Chicago Bulls v Charlotte Hornets Getty Images

Why else would trade rumors surface 20 games or so into his first season in Charlotte?

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches