NBA players’ reaction: They wouldn’t put up with Mike Rice’s crap

Apr 3, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT

Mike Rice AP

Watch Mike Rice’s video rants against players that got the Rutgers basketball coach canned and the first reactions are about the power disparity in college athletics — the coaches have the power and the players can do little about it. It’s a key point made by my buddy Kay Adams (host of PBT Extra and more at NBC).

NBA players saw that video, too, and their reactions were that of grown men who have some power over their careers — they wouldn’t put up with it and wouldn’t let their kids tolerate it either.

The video made Ray Allen fighting angry, he told the Palm Beach Post.

“I mean, it was just despicable,” Allen said. “Not only as a parent, but I think about where I went, the places I’ve gone in my career, my parents kind of lent me to all these other people. I’ve been raised not only by Mom and Dad, but by several coaches, AAU coaches, high school coaches and then my college coach, and all of them had a hand in getting me to who I am today. And not to mention the teachers that I grew up under, learning, so we trust in the people we lend our kids off to, to help them grow. And I only hope when I let my kids go, there’s somebody watching them and growing and making sure they do that…

“You can ask anybody in the locker room that saw that video, they felt the same way. That ball came at me that way, it would have been going back the other direction, right back at him. You know what, we say that as professionals, but as a collegiate athlete, you’re trying to make it, you’re trusting higher powers and coaches, I don’t know what I would have done. But that’s going to affect those kids long-term.”

A number of other NBA players took to twitter.

Coaches yell — NBA coaches yell — but there is a line and Rice crossed it like Seth MacFarlane at the Oscars. And then some. And it wasn’t remotely funny. That Rutgers saw that tape and suspended him for three games makes me wonder about that university’s priorities.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Gary Neal agrees to one-year, $2.1 million deal with Wizards

Jul 3, 2015, 4:31 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Minnesota Timberwolves Denver Nuggets v Minnesota Timberwolves

Key for the Wizards is this is a one-year deal, so they save their cap space for a Kevin Durant offer next summer.

2. Report: D’Andre Jordan informs Knicks they are out of running

Jul 3, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT

DeAndre Jordan, Tyson Chandler AP

This was expected, now the Knicks move forward with Robin Lopez.

3. Report: Wizards trying to trade Nene

Jul 3, 2015, 1:35 PM EDT

Washington Wizards v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Washington could land David West

4. Nets adding young talent in Thomas Robinson and Shane Larkin

Jul 3, 2015, 10:31 AM EDT

Thomas Robinson, Thaddeus Young AP

Brooklyn making most of a self-inflicted bad situation

5. Report: David West likely to sign with Spurs or Wizards

Jul 3, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT

David West, Patty Mills AP

If LaMarcus Aldridge signs elsewhere, San Antonio makes a lot of sense

6. PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love

Jul 3, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT

Brandon Knight AP

In this market even if these deals are misses, they are correctable ones.

7. Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks

Jul 3, 2015, 2:19 AM EDT

New York Knicks v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

Sacramento had made a big push but again missed out on their target.

8. Kenyon Martin announces retirement from professional basketball

Jul 2, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT

Milwaukee Bucks v Orlando Magic Getty Images

Martin had hoped to return full-time last season, but the opportunity never materialized.

9. Report: Kings offer Wes Matthews four-year deal in $64 million range

Jul 2, 2015, 10:34 PM EDT

New York Knicks v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

Sacramento needs to overpay much more than that to lure free agents.

10. Report: Robin Lopez discussing $12 million per year deal with Knicks; Lakers also a consideration

Jul 2, 2015, 9:22 PM EDT

New York Knicks v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

Lopez is solid, and New York and L.A. need talent after striking out with the big names thus far.

11. Report: Wizards trading for Bucks’ Jared Dudley

Jul 2, 2015, 7:07 PM EDT

Jared Dudley, Alexis Ajinca Jared Dudley, Alexis Ajinca

The Wizards will only give up a future second-rounder.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches