NBA players’ reaction: They wouldn’t put up with Mike Rice’s crap

Apr 3, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT

Mike Rice AP

Watch Mike Rice’s video rants against players that got the Rutgers basketball coach canned and the first reactions are about the power disparity in college athletics — the coaches have the power and the players can do little about it. It’s a key point made by my buddy Kay Adams (host of PBT Extra and more at NBC).

NBA players saw that video, too, and their reactions were that of grown men who have some power over their careers — they wouldn’t put up with it and wouldn’t let their kids tolerate it either.

The video made Ray Allen fighting angry, he told the Palm Beach Post.

“I mean, it was just despicable,” Allen said. “Not only as a parent, but I think about where I went, the places I’ve gone in my career, my parents kind of lent me to all these other people. I’ve been raised not only by Mom and Dad, but by several coaches, AAU coaches, high school coaches and then my college coach, and all of them had a hand in getting me to who I am today. And not to mention the teachers that I grew up under, learning, so we trust in the people we lend our kids off to, to help them grow. And I only hope when I let my kids go, there’s somebody watching them and growing and making sure they do that…

“You can ask anybody in the locker room that saw that video, they felt the same way. That ball came at me that way, it would have been going back the other direction, right back at him. You know what, we say that as professionals, but as a collegiate athlete, you’re trying to make it, you’re trusting higher powers and coaches, I don’t know what I would have done. But that’s going to affect those kids long-term.”

A number of other NBA players took to twitter.

Coaches yell — NBA coaches yell — but there is a line and Rice crossed it like Seth MacFarlane at the Oscars. And then some. And it wasn’t remotely funny. That Rutgers saw that tape and suspended him for three games makes me wonder about that university’s priorities.

Latest Posts
  1. PBT Extra matchups to watch: Spurs look for ways to contain Chris Paul

Apr 21, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT

Expect to see a lot more Kawhi Leonard (and Danny Green) on Paul from the start.

2. Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault

Apr 21, 2015, 4:51 PM EDT

Phoenix Suns Media Day Getty Images

The twins were allegedly part of a group that beat up a man outside a rec league basketball tournament.

3. Hawks’ Al Horford says he will play in Game 2 despite finger injury

Apr 21, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT

Al Horford AP

Horford is going to have work to do on the defensive end slowing down Brook Lopez.

4. Brilliant spoof: Zach Randolph’s deep thoughts on cats, shirts, more

Apr 21, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Zach Randolph AP

Well done, Zach Randolph and the Memphis Grizzlies.

5. Nets list Mirza Teletovic as ‘probable’ for Game 2 vs. Hawks

Apr 21, 2015, 2:43 PM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

Teletovic was originally ruled out for the season on Jan. 23.

6. Report: Spurs might get a free agent meeting with LaMarcus Aldridge

Apr 21, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

Another report has Aldridge at no better than 50-50 to re-sign with the Blazers.

7. Raptors’ Lou Williams: ‘Staying in Toronto would be ideal for me’

Apr 21, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Charlotte Hornets Getty Images

Williams will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.

8. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court?

Apr 21, 2015, 12:14 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptrkyze4nmfkytlhmjnjodc4mjk4mgq0nzixowuwndg2 AP

Pierce’s comments made him unpopular north of the border, but his play should bother the Raptors more.

Mavericks need to contain Dwight Howard in Game 2