Apr 3, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT
Watch Mike Rice’s video rants against players that got the Rutgers basketball coach canned and the first reactions are about the power disparity in college athletics — the coaches have the power and the players can do little about it. It’s a key point made by my buddy Kay Adams (host of PBT Extra and more at NBC).
NBA players saw that video, too, and their reactions were that of grown men who have some power over their careers — they wouldn’t put up with it and wouldn’t let their kids tolerate it either.
“I mean, it was just despicable,” Allen said. “Not only as a parent, but I think about where I went, the places I’ve gone in my career, my parents kind of lent me to all these other people. I’ve been raised not only by Mom and Dad, but by several coaches, AAU coaches, high school coaches and then my college coach, and all of them had a hand in getting me to who I am today. And not to mention the teachers that I grew up under, learning, so we trust in the people we lend our kids off to, to help them grow. And I only hope when I let my kids go, there’s somebody watching them and growing and making sure they do that…
“You can ask anybody in the locker room that saw that video, they felt the same way. That ball came at me that way, it would have been going back the other direction, right back at him. You know what, we say that as professionals, but as a collegiate athlete, you’re trying to make it, you’re trusting higher powers and coaches, I don’t know what I would have done. But that’s going to affect those kids long-term.”
A number of other NBA players took to twitter.
If my son played for Rutgers or a coach like that he would have some real explaining to do and I'm still gone whoop on him afterwards! C'mon—
LeBron James (@KingJames) April 02, 2013
I would of snapped on the coach from Rutgers…. I would sit before I take some abuse from that man—
Jared Sullinger (@Jared_Sully0) April 02, 2013
Man how is that Rutgers coach not fired already? If my son was on that team Id be on the first thing smoking to his soon to be vacant office—
Stephen Curry (@StephenCurry30) April 02, 2013
Stephen Jackson had never heard of Mike Rice before today but says: "I would have knocked his ass out if he threw something at me.”—
Jeff McDonald (@JMcDonald_SAEN) April 03, 2013
Coaches yell — NBA coaches yell — but there is a line and Rice crossed it like Seth MacFarlane at the Oscars. And then some. And it wasn’t remotely funny. That Rutgers saw that tape and suspended him for three games makes me wonder about that university’s priorities.
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 8
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 19
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 14
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 70
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 66
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14