Apr 3, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT
Watch Mike Rice’s video rants against players that got the Rutgers basketball coach canned and the first reactions are about the power disparity in college athletics — the coaches have the power and the players can do little about it. It’s a key point made by my buddy Kay Adams (host of PBT Extra and more at NBC).
NBA players saw that video, too, and their reactions were that of grown men who have some power over their careers — they wouldn’t put up with it and wouldn’t let their kids tolerate it either.
“I mean, it was just despicable,” Allen said. “Not only as a parent, but I think about where I went, the places I’ve gone in my career, my parents kind of lent me to all these other people. I’ve been raised not only by Mom and Dad, but by several coaches, AAU coaches, high school coaches and then my college coach, and all of them had a hand in getting me to who I am today. And not to mention the teachers that I grew up under, learning, so we trust in the people we lend our kids off to, to help them grow. And I only hope when I let my kids go, there’s somebody watching them and growing and making sure they do that…
“You can ask anybody in the locker room that saw that video, they felt the same way. That ball came at me that way, it would have been going back the other direction, right back at him. You know what, we say that as professionals, but as a collegiate athlete, you’re trying to make it, you’re trusting higher powers and coaches, I don’t know what I would have done. But that’s going to affect those kids long-term.”
A number of other NBA players took to twitter.
Coaches yell — NBA coaches yell — but there is a line and Rice crossed it like Seth MacFarlane at the Oscars. And then some. And it wasn’t remotely funny. That Rutgers saw that tape and suspended him for three games makes me wonder about that university’s priorities.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 5
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5