Apr 3, 2013, 2:34 PM EST
Watch Mike Rice’s video rants against players that got the Rutgers basketball coach canned and the first reactions are about the power disparity in college athletics — the coaches have the power and the players can do little about it. It’s a key point made by my buddy Kay Adams (host of PBT Extra and more at NBC).
NBA players saw that video, too, and their reactions were that of grown men who have some power over their careers — they wouldn’t put up with it and wouldn’t let their kids tolerate it either.
“I mean, it was just despicable,” Allen said. “Not only as a parent, but I think about where I went, the places I’ve gone in my career, my parents kind of lent me to all these other people. I’ve been raised not only by Mom and Dad, but by several coaches, AAU coaches, high school coaches and then my college coach, and all of them had a hand in getting me to who I am today. And not to mention the teachers that I grew up under, learning, so we trust in the people we lend our kids off to, to help them grow. And I only hope when I let my kids go, there’s somebody watching them and growing and making sure they do that…
“You can ask anybody in the locker room that saw that video, they felt the same way. That ball came at me that way, it would have been going back the other direction, right back at him. You know what, we say that as professionals, but as a collegiate athlete, you’re trying to make it, you’re trusting higher powers and coaches, I don’t know what I would have done. But that’s going to affect those kids long-term.”
A number of other NBA players took to twitter.
Coaches yell — NBA coaches yell — but there is a line and Rice crossed it like Seth MacFarlane at the Oscars. And then some. And it wasn’t remotely funny. That Rutgers saw that tape and suspended him for three games makes me wonder about that university’s priorities.
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 45
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 17
- Sixers’ leading scorer Tony Wroten suffers partially torn ACL, likely done for season 12