Apr 3, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT
Watch Mike Rice’s video rants against players that got the Rutgers basketball coach canned and the first reactions are about the power disparity in college athletics — the coaches have the power and the players can do little about it. It’s a key point made by my buddy Kay Adams (host of PBT Extra and more at NBC).
NBA players saw that video, too, and their reactions were that of grown men who have some power over their careers — they wouldn’t put up with it and wouldn’t let their kids tolerate it either.
“I mean, it was just despicable,” Allen said. “Not only as a parent, but I think about where I went, the places I’ve gone in my career, my parents kind of lent me to all these other people. I’ve been raised not only by Mom and Dad, but by several coaches, AAU coaches, high school coaches and then my college coach, and all of them had a hand in getting me to who I am today. And not to mention the teachers that I grew up under, learning, so we trust in the people we lend our kids off to, to help them grow. And I only hope when I let my kids go, there’s somebody watching them and growing and making sure they do that…
“You can ask anybody in the locker room that saw that video, they felt the same way. That ball came at me that way, it would have been going back the other direction, right back at him. You know what, we say that as professionals, but as a collegiate athlete, you’re trying to make it, you’re trusting higher powers and coaches, I don’t know what I would have done. But that’s going to affect those kids long-term.”
A number of other NBA players took to twitter.
Coaches yell — NBA coaches yell — but there is a line and Rice crossed it like Seth MacFarlane at the Oscars. And then some. And it wasn’t remotely funny. That Rutgers saw that tape and suspended him for three games makes me wonder about that university’s priorities.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 0
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 12
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 15
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18