NBA players’ reaction: They wouldn’t put up with Mike Rice’s crap

Apr 3, 2013, 2:34 PM EST

Mike Rice AP

Watch Mike Rice’s video rants against players that got the Rutgers basketball coach canned and the first reactions are about the power disparity in college athletics — the coaches have the power and the players can do little about it. It’s a key point made by my buddy Kay Adams (host of PBT Extra and more at NBC).

NBA players saw that video, too, and their reactions were that of grown men who have some power over their careers — they wouldn’t put up with it and wouldn’t let their kids tolerate it either.

The video made Ray Allen fighting angry, he told the Palm Beach Post.

“I mean, it was just despicable,” Allen said. “Not only as a parent, but I think about where I went, the places I’ve gone in my career, my parents kind of lent me to all these other people. I’ve been raised not only by Mom and Dad, but by several coaches, AAU coaches, high school coaches and then my college coach, and all of them had a hand in getting me to who I am today. And not to mention the teachers that I grew up under, learning, so we trust in the people we lend our kids off to, to help them grow. And I only hope when I let my kids go, there’s somebody watching them and growing and making sure they do that…

“You can ask anybody in the locker room that saw that video, they felt the same way. That ball came at me that way, it would have been going back the other direction, right back at him. You know what, we say that as professionals, but as a collegiate athlete, you’re trying to make it, you’re trusting higher powers and coaches, I don’t know what I would have done. But that’s going to affect those kids long-term.”

A number of other NBA players took to twitter.

Coaches yell — NBA coaches yell — but there is a line and Rice crossed it like Seth MacFarlane at the Oscars. And then some. And it wasn’t remotely funny. That Rutgers saw that tape and suspended him for three games makes me wonder about that university’s priorities.

1. Mr. Wright 212 - Apr 3, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I have respected every coach I have ever had, and I’ve had the types who got in your face, pushed you and what not, but it was with a purpose, and it wasn’t offensive (unless you’re a pansy). But I would have broken this guy’s neck. Amazing how we never heard about this all season right under our noses in the tri-state and it’s just coming out.

2. Mr. Wright 212 - Apr 3, 2013 at 2:40 PM

BTW, Kurt, they did decide to fire Rice today.

• lyndseymarieee - Apr 3, 2013 at 6:12 PM

I think that was only to save face. This incident happened in December and it seems like he is only getting fired now because the video went public and the resulting backlash from it.

• Mr. Wright 212 - Apr 4, 2013 at 1:26 PM

You know that’s the only reason it was done. The PR nightmare forced their hand. The fact that they were really only going to suspend him for three games shows you where Rutgers’ priorities truly laid.

3. Distinguished Male - Apr 3, 2013 at 3:00 PM

“…and Rice crossed it like Seth MacFarlane at the Oscars…”

Excuse me? A coach abuses a player, and you’re comparing that to Seth MacFarlane? The guy known for making rude and crass comments about everything and anything and is the definition for politically incorrect, who was hired and then, oh, guess what, made crass jokes? The Oscars knew exactly what they were doing when they hired Seth, and everyone who was the butt of his jokes had their “reaction” filmed beforehand to play it up. He surprised no one, and the people that can’t understand them being jokes have no sense of humor or didn’t understand the situation. You can think Seth isn’t funny, or has poor taste, but you CANNOT compare him to this situation, where a coach is abusing his players and his privileges. Not even close.

Sorry Kurt, that was a confusing and unnecessary little quip you made.

• Kurt Helin - Apr 4, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I like Seth, I liked him at the Oscars. But his humor style is to find the line then go so far over it you found it funny. Rice went over the line by that far, just not in a way that is funny. That’s the point. Sorry if it wasn’t clear.

4. sdelmonte - Apr 3, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Rutgers is, for the most part, a fine school. But as it’s become more and more a part of the national college sports world, I think the people who run it have lost sight of what a college ought to be about. They want to be a sports power at any cost, it would seem.

And now that cost will surely include the departure not just of the coach but also the AD and perhaps the president of the school. It’s a stark reminder yet again of how money and fame can mix with the power these coaches can wield over young men to create a bad situation.

While I don’t really love the One-and-Done trend we see now, can you really blame anyone for taking the money and getting into a place where they won’t face a Mike Rice ever?

5. soxfan34110 - Apr 3, 2013 at 3:32 PM

If Rice had acted this way with one of his co-workers (say an admin asst.) he would have been fired and sued. However, because these young men are student athletes it’s OK to abuse them? WTF was Rutgers and that totally useless AD thinking by not firing his ass when it happened the first time?

6. money2long - Apr 3, 2013 at 4:25 PM

hahaha. i’m beginning to look forward to stephen jackson quotes.

• badintent - Apr 4, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Jackson is so badass , he gonna fight UFC the minute he is done in NBA , right ? Not a chance, he is all mouth.When he goes up against a trained pro, he’ll get his jaw broken and wired shut, a favor to us all.

7. misterziggles - Apr 3, 2013 at 4:46 PM

You really had to bring Seth MacFarlane into this?

You hijacked your own post like a gun control advocate on cnn.com

8. ortizmari27 - Apr 3, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Lmao fake tough guys,I only believe SJackon would really back his words up.lbj cried about how physical the bulls played,and Ray Ray is soft.get real

9. jameskocian - Apr 3, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Seth MacFarlane was funny at the Oscars. Whether or not he crossed the line is subjective.

However, this coach’s behavior was deplorable and utterly reprehensible.

The two people, events, and actions are incomparable.

Can red hot Warriors sustain success?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches