Mark Cuban calls Phil Jackson “first housewife of the Lakers”

Apr 3, 2013, 11:41 AM EDT

Former Los Angeles Lakers head coach Jackson speaks during a ceremony to retire jersey #34 in honor of former Los Angeles Lakers player O'Neal during their NBA basketball game against the Dallas Mavericks in Los Angeles Reuters

Mark Cuban understands marketing. He understands (and admits) how good stars like Shaquille O’Neal and Phil Jackson are for the league.

But that doesn’t mean he could resist taking a dig at his old rival Tuesday night when Jackson was in Staples Center to honor Shaquille O’Neal at his number retirement.

“I have great respect for Phil, Jeanie’s husband as he’ll be now be known. Someone’s got to be the first housewife of the Lakers,” Cuban said.

In case you need the joke explained, Jackson is now engaged to long-time girlfriend Jeanie Buss, who is one of the lead owners of the Lakers after the passing of her father Jerry earlier this year.

Cuban and Jackson have had their rivalry — and I couldn’t imagine them working well together in the same organization — but there is a level of respect there. And Cuban said big personalities like Shaq and Jackson are good for league business. And Cuban is all about what is good for business.

“When the Mavs beat them that series, I walked up (to Jackson) and said, ‘You’re great for the NBA. Please don’t retire,'” Cuban said before the game Tuesday.

1. teehov843 - Apr 3, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Who cares about what Cuban says? Attention grabbers should be ignored!

2. smoothaswilkes - Apr 3, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Let me get this straight, the same day that Cuban says he’d bring in Brittney Griner next season, he also takes a poke at PJ who was speaking at Shaq’s jersey retirement ceremony? Nah, he’s not looking for attention.

Hey Cubes, enjoy your one and only ring. Every squirrel get a nut, sometimes. Envy is the same color as money but winning is colored Purple and Gold. Stay Classy!

3. thestatsishere - Apr 3, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Mark Cuban isn’t that bad of a guy. I actually like him as an owner because a lot of owners are these guys in fancy suits who own a team like they’d own a Ferrari; for the image, prestige and glamour.

Yet Cuban wears sweatshirts and cheers and loves his team with a burning passion and even though he could button his lip, his enthusiasm is great for the game. No one loves the Mavericks more than Mark Cuban. And no one cried harder when they won two years ago.

4. Sideline Mob - Apr 3, 2013 at 1:19 PM

This from the same guy who “would draft Griner”. Okay.

5. baymac408 - Apr 3, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Cuban is a wack dude man!! He should really have his mouth wired so ha can’t talk no more!! Phil Jackson is a legend!! Whether he was part of bandwagon lakers or not

• sasquash20 - Apr 3, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I love when Cuban talks smack. Just wish he would direct it all at D.Stern so maybe he could fix the league that he murdered.

• somekat - Apr 3, 2013 at 3:35 PM

this league is no longer fixable. The NBA is, and always will be, a joke compared to any other sport. The league is based on 6-10 guys. The only thing that changes, is the 6-10 guys. Call are made (or not made) for them directly because of the name on the jersey.

NBA basketball is about stars. It is the only sport (including basketball at any other level) where penalties/fouls are called specific for certain players, and not others. It took Stern decades to ruin this league, and it will take decades to fix. But much like the U.S. economy, it will never get fixed, because fixing it means people will cry about you fixing it, and the blow back will be worse than any league officials are willing to deal with. If it is neccessary doesn’t matter

• franchiseplaya - Apr 3, 2013 at 5:35 PM

@somekat, if its so terrible why do you watch or bother reading blogs about it?

• mydoghasfleez - Apr 5, 2013 at 11:23 AM

“Cuban is a wack dude ……..Phil Jackson is a legend”

Phil is hired help. Cuban is the billionaire doing the hiring.

6. losanginsight - Apr 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Cuban is a joke and his team is the punchline.

• dexterismyhero - Apr 3, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Go look in a mirror Arod.

• dexterismyhero - Apr 3, 2013 at 3:50 PM

wrong post….anyway, don’t talk about a punchline when you are only 2.5 games up on them…..

7. reasonablemindsays - Apr 3, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Even my grandma wouldve gotten titles coaching MJ, Pippen, Shaq, and Kobe.

• manchestermiracle - Apr 3, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Highly doubtful any of those players would listen to your grandma….

• reasonablemindsays - Apr 4, 2013 at 12:38 PM

My grandma is a very strong willed woman, youd be surprised.

• smoothaswilkes - Apr 3, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Ask Dell Harris and Doug Collins how that worked out.

8. 13arod - Apr 3, 2013 at 3:40 PM

i wish mark Cuban would shut up everyday he has to say samething everyday

• bougin89 - Apr 3, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Did you attempt to write this in a poem format? Should this comment actually look like this:

i wish mark Cuban would shut up everyday

he has to say

samething everyday

9. lakerluver - Apr 3, 2013 at 4:08 PM

You say 2.5 games up, I say 15 championships up.

10. paulhargis53 - Apr 3, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Aww, isn’t that cute, the lakers won a few games and lakerslurper comes out of the woodwork again….where was your dumb*** when they got beat by Washington? Oh, that’s right, you don’t post when they lose. Get lost squishmitten, nobody cares what you have to say, including your fellow lakers fans.

• themars211 - Apr 3, 2013 at 4:47 PM

PBT you guys really need to put up more Celtic stories so paulhargis53 can go away…..is it me or does he stalk all the Laker stories? I hate the Celtics just as much as you hate the Lakers so I don’t waste my time clicking any links to Celtic stories….go away STALKER!!

11. losanginsight - Apr 3, 2013 at 4:16 PM

This guy and his team are a complete joke. Talking about signing a girl just to get publicity? What a clown. From winning a ring only 2 years ago and now can even make the playoffs and trying to get attention. This is why MLB wanted nothing to do with bozo.

12. asimonetti88 - Apr 3, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Maybe when you win 11 rings you can talk smack about Phil, Mark. Until then, you might want to just stick to gutting championship teams to draft women’s basketball players.

13. gasan2013pananaw - Apr 3, 2013 at 5:11 PM

MARK CUBANS COMMENTS FOR YEARS ON PHIL JACKSON IS FUNNY SHOW’S HIS CHILDISH ATTITUDE AND JUST TELL’S US HOW DESPERATE HE IS FOR RECOGNITION, ENVY AND JEALOUSY. POOR MR. CUBAN, HE’S BEEN TRYING FOR YEARS BUT JUST COULDN’T GET THE PROPER COMBINATION TO THE SAFE. PATHETIC. WHAT AN A …!@#..

• bougin89 - Apr 3, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Your caps lock is on.

• mydoghasfleez - Apr 5, 2013 at 11:28 AM

“POOR MR. CUBAN”

Poor? I don’t think so.

14. lakerluver - Apr 3, 2013 at 7:24 PM

And paulhargis53 is the first stalker of PBT. Isn’t it creepy how he seems to know exactly when I’ve posted a comment?!!

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Apr 3, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Hate to tell you this, buddy. The guy is infatuated with you. You have my deepest sympathies. I suggest you notify the proper authorities. Chances are, he is looking at you right now while relieving himself.

Damn. That’s scary fecal matter there.

15. paulhargis53 - Apr 3, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Yeah dummy, because its so difficult to find you on a lakers story…..wait, it is when they lose….

Not stalking you at all, just helping you become the laughingstock on here that you are. Nobody takes anything you say serious anymore. You’re a caricature of every bad fan there is out there, problem is, you aren’t playing a character, you are actually that dumb and delusional.

Isn’t it about time for you to get teabagged by prime now?

loser.

16. paulhargis53 - Apr 3, 2013 at 7:51 PM

mars, I don’t hate the lakers, I hate lakerluver. Read his postings, you will too.
    Worst fan there is on PBT.

He’s a fool and I enjoy eviscerating. him verbally.

If you don’t like what I have to say, its pretty simple. You see my name, don’t read it.

• themars211 - Apr 3, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Yeah but I hate the Celtics………respect them but still its so much fun to hate them! By the way I hate all the Boston teams…redsox, bruins, patriots, golden eagles and whatever other lousy teams that I forgot….not that you would care…lol

• omniusprime - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:57 AM

And all of us hate you little girl Pauline. No go home and go hide in your mommy’s basement little toad. You’re just bitter that your Ancient Celtics are a down-and-out franchise living on it’s past laurels from the 60’s. Since then the Ancient Celtics have been a run-of-the-mill team, hardly winning championships.

That’s too funny that you think you eviscerate lakerluvr with your clueless comments. All you do is prove that you’re jerky boy #1 and the biggest a-hole on PBT.

Pauline Haggis ic a Celtic Crybaby!!!

17. lakerluver - Apr 3, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Two separate posts, and he posts right after me?!! Freaking creepy stuff!!

18. kb2408 - Apr 3, 2013 at 8:36 PM

@lakerluver
    Bro, watch your back, either you have an admirer, or a stalker. Either way, it’s pretty clear ph53 is one unstable individual.

19. spthegr8 - Apr 3, 2013 at 9:33 PM

@kb2408
    You called somebody else “unstable” & your handle is another mans initials and jersey number??? Im a die hard Laker fan also but you GOTTA draw the line somewhere!!! You attacked me last week. Consider this the receipt!!

20. goldmember21 - Apr 3, 2013 at 11:05 PM

I hate lakerluver

21. lakerluver - Apr 4, 2013 at 12:05 AM

You hate someone you’ve never met and never will meet? I’m not your problem, my friend. Your problem is you hate yourself. What a colossal loser you must be in life. You and pudhummer53 ought to exchange numbers. After all, it appears that the two of you could use a friend. Losers.

22. paulhargis53 - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:27 AM

4-5 guys talking about me instead of the topic at hand, see what I did there? I win.

• loungefly74 - Apr 4, 2013 at 12:38 PM

that was the master plan? c’mon, PH… you’re better than that.

23. lakerluver - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:04 AM

That’s because you’re a loser and we wish you would just disappear. You beg for attention and it’s very sad. Your mommy didn’t hold you enough when you were a baby? Go away, pudhummer.

24. Jeff - Apr 4, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Looks like Lakers fans got their panties in a wad. Lakers should stick to buying out more refs instead of paying attention to another owner.

25. paulhargis53 - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I don’t beg for attention. I ridicule you on a daily basis. Others feel sorry you and come to your defense, since you obviously can’t defend yourself.

Hey at least I got that dope prime to quit with his ridiculous repetitive posts.

Prime, your attempts at insults are horrible, give up.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches