Apr 3, 2013, 11:41 AM EDT
Mark Cuban understands marketing. He understands (and admits) how good stars like Shaquille O’Neal and Phil Jackson are for the league.
But that doesn’t mean he could resist taking a dig at his old rival Tuesday night when Jackson was in Staples Center to honor Shaquille O’Neal at his number retirement.
“I have great respect for Phil, Jeanie’s husband as he’ll be now be known. Someone’s got to be the first housewife of the Lakers,” Cuban said.
In case you need the joke explained, Jackson is now engaged to long-time girlfriend Jeanie Buss, who is one of the lead owners of the Lakers after the passing of her father Jerry earlier this year.
Cuban and Jackson have had their rivalry — and I couldn’t imagine them working well together in the same organization — but there is a level of respect there. And Cuban said big personalities like Shaq and Jackson are good for league business. And Cuban is all about what is good for business.
“When the Mavs beat them that series, I walked up (to Jackson) and said, ‘You’re great for the NBA. Please don’t retire,'” Cuban said before the game Tuesday.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 23
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15