Lakers set to fix mistake on Shaq’s retired jersey before Friday night’s game vs. Grizzlies

Apr 3, 2013, 8:27 PM EDT

shaq jersey staples

When the Lakers retired the jersey of Shaquille O’Neal in a halftime ceremony on Tuesday, something appeared to be off with the replica that was unveiled on the wall of the Staples Center, hanging alongside the rest of the retired numbers of the all-time great Lakers.

O’Neal’s name and number were incorrectly emblazoned on the front of the jersey, as first noticed publicly by well-respected investigative journalist Trey Kerby of The Basketball Jones.

The equally intrepid Dan Devine of Yahoo!’s Ball Don’t Lie took it a step further, and confirmed Kerby’s observation as being fact with Lakers spokesman, John Black.

Since then, the Lakers have said that the team expects to have the replacement jersey in place before tip-off Friday night at Staples when the Lakers will host the Memphis Grizzlies, according to Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News.

You hate to call people out individually for mistakes like this, but at the same time, this seems like an obvious candidate to add to the hadonejob.com archives.

1. rgledz - Apr 3, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Can we please have more Shaq jersey retirement posts!?!? I don’t think the four you had yesterday were quite enough. Can’t wait……..so interesting.

2. dmcannon99 - Apr 3, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Tell your mommy you don’t want her to read any more of them to you…

• dannymac17 - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:01 AM

Can your mommy read them to me then? Preferably naked.

3. rgledz - Apr 4, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Tell your mommy that she should have read to you more frequently…that way maybe you would have known that anymore is one word…….not two. Brilliant.

• davidly - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:53 AM

The only thing worse than being a syn-tactician on a sports blog is being one who gets it wrong in demonstrable fashion.

For the sake of clarity, however, I’ll take a hit and be the second worst type:
      Has you mother read you any posts lately? (any = adjectival modifying “posts”, ie. a number of posts)

I hope my mommy reads me more posts tonight! (more = adjectival modifying “posts”, ie. a greater number)

Aw, jeepers! My mommy won’t read me any more posts!-( (any more = adjectival modifying “posts” = no more posts)

If you don’t clean this room, young man, I won’t read you bedtime posts anymore! (anymore = temporal adverb, ie. “how” she won’t be reading them, ie. not any longer)

dmcannon99’s mother has refused to read posts to dannymac17 naked, which has led to dannymac17 spying on his own mother whilst masturbating, which has, in turn, led to his not being able to achieve an erection anymore. (anymore = adverbial, how he cannot get a boner, ie. any, uh, longer)

You may now go and read other posts.

• loungefly74 - Apr 4, 2013 at 12:18 PM

(clapping very slowly…)

• badintent - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Damn ! PBT Post of the Year. Hencefore, to be called the Davidly award. Well done sir.

• dmcannon99 - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Thanks for the “brilliant” lesson in grammar, rgledz. As has already been pointed out to you, however, all you did was amplify the depth of your knowledge for all to witness. Perhaps if you spent more time studying and less reading articles you appear not to like in the first place, you might enlighten yourself and avoid looking like a tool…but probably not. Feel free to parse my post in your enlightened search for grammatical purity.

4. timb12 - Apr 4, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Anymore can be two words. He used it in the proper way. If he would have said “I can’t read them any more” that would have been wrong.

5. badintent - Apr 4, 2013 at 12:58 AM

GRAMMER POLICE ALERT !

6. romoscollarbone - Apr 4, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Grammar.

• badintent - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:06 PM

It was spelled wrong to see if” anyone ” could read.

7. bucrightoff - Apr 4, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Jim Buss is a moron. No way his old man lets this happen.

8. 00maltliquor - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:22 AM

I knew something looked a bit off last night! I just couldn’t quite put my finger on it.

9. fnc111 - Apr 4, 2013 at 6:37 AM

I really wanna bone Jeanie Buss.

10. justorion - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I cans spell good

11. philadelphiafan - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:21 PM

At first glance I thought that said handjob.com

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches