Apr 3, 2013, 11:10 AM EST
The New York Knicks have won three of four games when they have faced the Miami Heat this season. On Tuesday night, an on-fire Carmelo Anthony dropped 50 on Miami (and didn’t get one of those buckets in the paint, it was all jumpers).
It gives Knicks fans hope — trust me, some of them are more than happy to tell me on twitter how they can knock off Miami in the playoffs. New York faced more injuries this season, including not having Anthony for one of those Knicks games. They have confidence against the Knicks.
The Heat, they are not so worried.
“Everybody has confidence against us until we take it away,” said Bosh, who led the Heat with 23 points. “They’re a good team.” He added of the playoffs, “They can feel like they have a chance, but I like our chances.”
Sorry to say this Knicks fans, but regular season matchups are a poor predictor of postseason outcomes. Especially early season meetings. You can find plenty of evidence of this from just the last couple seasons. Teams change, teams evolve over the course of the season — the Heat team that coasted through the first half of the year is not the one from the 27-game win streak. Both teams are rested, lineups are set and matchups get more focus. The physicality and intensity are different.
The Knicks can take some confidence from these regular season wins — it can and should give them a belief they can do it. But in a seven game series, I’ll still take the Heat. In five.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)