Apr 3, 2013, 11:10 AM EST
The New York Knicks have won three of four games when they have faced the Miami Heat this season. On Tuesday night, an on-fire Carmelo Anthony dropped 50 on Miami (and didn’t get one of those buckets in the paint, it was all jumpers).
It gives Knicks fans hope — trust me, some of them are more than happy to tell me on twitter how they can knock off Miami in the playoffs. New York faced more injuries this season, including not having Anthony for one of those Knicks games. They have confidence against the Knicks.
The Heat, they are not so worried.
“Everybody has confidence against us until we take it away,” said Bosh, who led the Heat with 23 points. “They’re a good team.” He added of the playoffs, “They can feel like they have a chance, but I like our chances.”
Sorry to say this Knicks fans, but regular season matchups are a poor predictor of postseason outcomes. Especially early season meetings. You can find plenty of evidence of this from just the last couple seasons. Teams change, teams evolve over the course of the season — the Heat team that coasted through the first half of the year is not the one from the 27-game win streak. Both teams are rested, lineups are set and matchups get more focus. The physicality and intensity are different.
The Knicks can take some confidence from these regular season wins — it can and should give them a belief they can do it. But in a seven game series, I’ll still take the Heat. In five.
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 2
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 14
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 13
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 6
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 15
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17