Cuban says he’d consider drafting Brittney Griner

Apr 3, 2013, 8:44 AM EST

Brittney Griner AP

Mark Cuban knows marketing.

He also knows that the players picked in the second half of the second round of the NBA draft almost never stick, so it’s a good time to take some big risks.

In a wide ranging pregame conversation before his Mavericks lost to the Lakers Tuesday night, Cuban said that he would consider drafting Baylor women’s college basketball star Brittney Griner in the second round of the NBA draft.

“If she is the best on the board, I would take her,” Cuban said. “I’ve thought about it. I’ve thought about it already. Would I do it? Right now, I’d lean toward yes, just to see if she can do it. You never know unless you give somebody a chance.”

Griner is up for it she said on twitter.

Griner has been a dominant force in college basketball — she’s a three-time All American, is the national player of the year, she has good size at 6’8” and is a shot blocker who can score inside or out. She will be the top pick in the WNBA draft. She can flat out play ball, do not sell her short. That said, I’m not sure she’s ready for the NBA. She’s athletic but the NBA is a whole different level.

Drafting her would be a publicity stunt, but one the NBA has seen before — UCLA star Ann Meyers tried out for the Pacers in 1979.

What would be both good marketing and more of a test to see how she could do at a higher level would be to put her on the Mavericks’ Summer League team in Las Vegas. The marketing potential would be big, something Cuban admitted, and Griner could see if she fit. The more I think about it, the more I like that idea. While it would pull her away from the WNBA season for a few weeks what that could do for that league’s marketing would be huge. It would be fun for everyone.

1. 11thstreetmafia - Apr 3, 2013 at 4:38 PM

She wouldn’t make it through one practice. Those who disagree obviously know nothing about athletics. How many no jump blocks or lay ups do you think she would get? Do you realize how slow the women’s players are compared to men’s? It would be embarrassing.

• Kurt Helin - Apr 4, 2013 at 7:17 PM

I will say this again, I have watched in person WNBA players in a pickup game with NBA players. They are not better, they could not stick in the league, but they didn’t make fools of themselves either.

2. spthegr8 - Apr 3, 2013 at 8:02 PM

She’s fine???? Bro, she looks like Linda the ‘Lamma’ from Dora the Explorer!!!

3. dylude - Apr 3, 2013 at 8:48 PM

To the guy who said a second round pick is a joke or waste….

Make sure to watch Chandler Parsons tonight make his return vs Sacramento. 2nd year, 2nd round pick refusing to give Morey a reason to trade for an elite wing.

To Kurt,

I’m not responding to the idea of Summer League, just to calling her an NBA big or saying she could hold her own. I really don’t think so.

Joey Dorsey vs Brittany Griner. Not even close and her shot is 30 times better.

As for summer league:

I agree with the above that rising high school McDonalds All Americans would outplay her, so why not let the best high school player play one game for his hometown Summer League team. It may not get as many ratings as Griner but it would make more sense and be more competitive. Nothing is worse for a movement than unmerited recognition. Jackie Robinson was great, Tiger Woods was great, and this very website called the NY Jets mini combine kicker tryout embarrassing for women. What would Griner getting dominated by undrafted men do for anyone involved? If she dominated the WNBA and develops, then maybe but right now she is far from ready for even Summer League.

4. kfiz14 - Apr 3, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I’d hate to fight that man.

5. BigBeachBall - Apr 4, 2013 at 12:30 AM

The difference is about 6 milligrams of testosterone per day….

6. joebone - Apr 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Cuban needs to quit the cheap stunts and field a team that doesn’t suck.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches