John Wall admits a number of point guards are better than him, still wants to get paid

Apr 2, 2013, 11:15 AM EST

John Wall AP

It remains one of the interesting questions of the NBA off-season: How much do the Wizards offer John Wall in a contract extension?

The Wizards are going to make an offer and they’ve suggested it’s substantial. I think something close to Stephen Curry’s four year, $44 million seems about right. Since getting back and healthy this season Wall has certainly shown both an improved jump shot and an ability to lead a team on the court, both scoring and setting other guys up. The Wizards are playing well behind him (11-9 in their last 20).

But Wall also admitted to David Aldridge of NBA.com that there are a number of point guards out there better than him — and that he still wants to get paid like the big names.

Only three point guards in the league have max deals — Deron Williams, Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook. It’s a lock that Chris Paul will join them this summer. And that’s all. Even Wall acknowledges those four are better than he is.

“You’ve got Chris Paul, Russell,” he said Sunday night. “Derrick right now. I’d say Kyrie [Irving]’s up there, doing pretty good. I like [Portland’s] Damian Lillard. I’d say he’s up there in that category. He’s playing out of his mind, to play like he’s a rookie. I feel like those years in college really helped him. I feel like they’d be the top.”

He agrees, when Rajon Rondo‘s name is mentioned, that Rondo is better. He goes along with Denver’s Ty Lawson, and volunteers Golden State’s Stephen Curry. And that’s the list. Eight better.

Of course, Wall still wants to be paid like the top four.

Maybe a fair alternative is a five-year offer in the $55 million range but with an opt-out after three for Wall — if he proves in the next three years that he is a max player he can opt out and get that deal. It’s a risk for the Wizards, but if they can build a good team around him he will not want to bolt (and the Wizards can always offer more money). It will be a trade off of dollars and options between the sides.

I’ll add this: Wall is right on in his comment that he was drafted into a situation that would make it difficult for any rookie to succeed at a high level. This was the Wizards of Gilbert Arenas, Andray Blatche, JaVale McGee and Nick Young when Wall arrived. Not exactly the most professional locker room. As I have asked before, how would Rondo and Wall had been different had you reversed their landing spots in the NBA and Wall got quality veterans to model as a rookie?

“Well, I feel like I get what I deserve,” Wall says. “I know what I play like. I think they understand what I’ve been through the first two years, having what I had. Not to talk bad on any of my teammates or any of the guys I’ve had. I just feel like some of them weren’t very professional about their job. They didn’t care about winning, to be honest.”

1. EvanZ - Apr 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Paul
    Westbrook
    DWill
    Rose
    Irving
    Rondo
    Lillard
    Lawson
    Curry

That’s 9 by my count. Also, he obviously forgot Tony Parker. And Jrue Holiday is undoubtedly better. Oh, let’s not forget Rubio either.

• sasquash20 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Wow 29 people thumbs this down. I guess Wall has a big family

2. aboogy123456 - Apr 2, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Wall is not among the top 5 yet but he’s a clear max guy because he has more potential than all of those guys listed. He’s still getting better and with his athleticism, he can be one of the top 7 or 8 players in the league in a couple years. He will soon be worth every penny of the max contract he receives.

3. cj1403 - Apr 2, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Don’t forget Chalmers, he says he’s Top 3. Boy’s delusional.

• fventricle - Apr 2, 2013 at 11:47 AM

lol Chalmers is garbage

4. bougin89 - Apr 2, 2013 at 12:11 PM

As a Bucks fan I have to compare him to Jennings and the deal he will get. If some team goes crazy and offers Jennings 50 million dollars(and if they do I will hope like hell the Bucks don’t match it) then Wall has to be worth a max deal. Wall is much better than Jennings and like aboogy123456 mentioned above has much more potential.

5. eagles512 - Apr 2, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Jrue is better

• jobotjones - Apr 2, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I’m sure you are saying that with no bias whatsoever, ‘eagles 512′

• somekat - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:50 PM

any bias is irrelivant. Jrue is a better all around player. Wall can score at a higher rate than Holiday, but as far as setting up teammates, rebounding and defending (Jrue was a top 5 defensive PG the day he was drafted), it isn’t even close.

For all the people that want to give Wall the nod on “potential”, he is not even 3 months younger than Jrue

• aboogy123456 - Apr 2, 2013 at 3:09 PM

somekat. Potential is not only about age. John Wall is a ridiculous athlete, I think only westbrook and lebron are comparable. He is 6’4 with long arms, maybe the fastest player in the league. He has great leadership skills, he’s not afraid of anybody and he doesn’t back down to anybody in a game..ever. His ballhandling skills are fantastic. I would say his biggest weakness is shooting the ball, but shooting is the easiest part of your game to improve. You can teach someone to shoot, you can’t teach them to be a freak athlete.

Now I think Jrue is a better player today, but Wall has far more potential and is someone i’d rather build around. You point to defense and setting up teammates as why Jrue is better, I think John wall can create a little bit more than Jrue and Wall is also a very good defender. He already averages a block a game and his length and speed will allow him to be great.

• sasquash20 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Stats have it very close. They are both about the same age at 22. I give the slight edge to Jrue as he has been the better shooter and hasn’t been as injured as Wall. And Jrue was stunted with Iggy around for the first 3 years. You saw what Jrue did without Iggy this year. Plus Jrue steps up in big games (last seasons playoffs), not saying Wall won’t but Jrue has already. This should become a good rivalry between the 2 actually. I would pay Wall close to max money, he is 22 and only going to get better. I still would have taken Cousins or Favors over Wall in that draft though. In fact, I think Favors will end up being the best player when all is said and done out of that draft(doubt Utah keeps Jefferson and Millisap which should give Favors 30 plus minutes every night).

• sasquash20 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:51 PM

5 agree and 12 disagree as of now. That is crazy. At worst this should be 9-8 in favor of Holiday

6. fotydaze - Apr 2, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Shouldn’t you at least be an all star to seek max money J Wall and Josh Smith?

• somekat - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Wall may get max money, but it will be more based on potential than what he has done

Nobody is going to give Smith a max deal

• kinggw - Apr 2, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Considering that the All star game is a contest that features a lot of input from fans, the answer is no. Jeremy Lin was almost an all star. That should put things into perspective.

7. robmar924 - Apr 2, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Right now Curry is better than Dwill, Rose, and def Lawson and Wall. Still doesnt get credit he deserves as a distrubutor as well as a scorer

8. 1509lucky - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:05 PM

eagles 512,as someone who lives in Philly,I can say without hesitation that Wall and Jrue are NOT on the same level. Jrue is nice B level point guard,but Wall has the skill level to be Elite.

• somekat - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:53 PM

1 season running the offense, 1 all-star appearance….yeah, very b level
      living in Philly does not mean you know how to judge a PG position. If Jrue is “nice b level point guard”, obviously you dont

• sasquash20 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:54 PM

They are both 22, have similar numbers (Jrue’s are slightly better), oh and Wall gets hurt every year. I think you overrate Wall and underrate Holiday. Both are good solid young players with bright futures.

9. 4thquartermagic - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I’m glad Lawson at least got a mention. Dude is the best player on the #3 team in the West.

Have a good feeling after this years playoffs, more people will begin to notice just how good he is.

10. edwardemanuelson - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:12 PM

As always, no mention of Tony Parker.

• aboogy123456 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:21 PM

and that’s crazy how we can’t appreciate an obvious hall of famer playing in his prime.

• somekat - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:55 PM

he’s at his prime, but when the spurs were in their hayday, he was a complimentary piece. Unless they win a title with him as the main player, and not Duncan, he will always get overlooked. But IMO, one of the best PG i’ve seen over the last 15 years

• sasquash20 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:55 PM

He wasn’t drafted first overall so Wall must be better.LOL

11. staff2cj - Apr 2, 2013 at 3:21 PM

This is the reason why the nba is such a joke…hopefully this guy we’ll be out of the league in a couple of years

• jaerba - Apr 2, 2013 at 4:55 PM

What? A hard working kid who stays out of trouble and has actually put forth significant effort to improve his game, and doesn’t talk about himself like he’s the greatest thing ever. That’s what the league should get rid of?

Wall’s career hasn’t gone the way everyone wanted, but he was placed under far greater expectations than anyone else in recent memory (including Kyrie) and in one of the worst organizations possible, which has a carousel of coaches and players. And despite all that he’s still playing his heart out and made his team significantly better than they were without him.

No, he’s not better than Jrue right now but adding a good jump shot, which he’s already made great strides at, could make him one of the top PGs in the league and a sure all-star, not a marginal one. A jumpshot would completely change the way teams try to defend him and make him extremely dangerous.

12. dysraw1 - Apr 2, 2013 at 3:39 PM

J Wall is nice but even coming out of college, i thought Eric B. was nicer

13. deavn - Apr 2, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Scalabrine? Come on man. What about the white mamba? He can play any position.

14. hailtodaredskins - Apr 2, 2013 at 11:07 PM

let me tell u wall haters something. First of all he is only 22 and he was and one and done player so yes a few years would have helped but he is now stepping it up and looking more and more like the franchise player we wizards envisioned him to be. Now as a guy from the dmv area i can tell u this there is alot for a young black nba player to get into outhere and he has not he has not gotten into any barfights has not had any off the court issues that other washington nba players over the years have gotten themselfs into (chris webber,rasheed wallace,brandon banks etc etc). So i really respect his maturity at such any early age.

15. saint1997 - Apr 3, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Wow he has matured a lot. So impressive in his self analysis

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches