Apr 2, 2013, 11:58 AM EST
This takes away some of the luster from one of Tuesday’s marquee games. It also thwarts any “we beat those red hot Heat” momentum the Knicks might try to build out of Tuesday night’s matchup.
Not that this makes the Heat a complete pushover — those three sat out Sunday against the Spurs and the Heat still won the game on a last-second three from Chris Bosh. But certainly the Heat are less formidable.
The league will not fine the Heat for these moves because Miami learned from what the San Antonio did earlier in the season against Miami — the Spurs rested their big three without warning on a nationally televised game and just called it rest. David Stern levied a $250,000 fine on the team. The Heat are on national television too but have alerted the league about the players’ “injuries” — LeBron a right hamstring strain, Wade and Chalmers with right ankle sprains.
This is what you will see from now on — when a team wants to rest a guy they will just list him as injured. At this point in the season every player has knicks and bruises that he could need “rest” for. Well played, David Stern.
Tuesday night’s game means a lot more to the Knicks, who have won eight in a row and are battling the Pacers for the second seed in the East. The Heat have the top seed locked up and while home court over the Spurs/Thunder in the finals is nice with the 2-3-2 format it’s not that pressing. The Heat didn’t have it last season and it didn’t matter.
What the Heat have done is taken away is any bragging rights the Knicks can try to take forward out of this game.
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Santa brings Warriors top spot, lump of coal for Knicks 9
- Clippers, Mavericks, Rockets and Kings reportedly interested in signing Josh Smith 13
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 52
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 27
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 13
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20