Apr 2, 2013, 10:43 AM EDT
You don’t see as many tip-ins in the NBA anymore, mostly because guys like Blake Griffin don’t tip the ball in so much as throw it down with authority.
But on a Griffin missed jumper at the end of the half Monday night Caron Butler made an impressive tip-in play — he got to a shot well short of the rim, tipped it back over his head and into the basket as time expired. That was impressive.
It didn’t help the Clippers get a win over the Pacers, and Los Angeles is now 7-8 in its last 15. And it’s numbers against the best teams is far worse (they are 2-8 against the West’s playoff teams in their last 10). In the next few days they will win their first-ever Pacific Division title, but if that is not followed with a strong playoff performance there should be changes with the Clippers this summer. And Butler may be one of those.
But that doesn’t take anything away from this play.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37