Bo Jackson has Derrick Rose’s back

Apr 2, 2013, 10:06 AM EST

Bo Jackson AP

Bo Jackson is a Chicago legend — the American League All-Star who hit a home run in the All-Star Game then in the off-season was running over linebackers as a member of the Los Angeles Raiders. He was one of the great American athletes ever. His Tecmo Bowl video-game self was the most unstoppable sports video game character ever.

He’s also a guy who knows about injuries. A hip injury he suffered in the NFL slowed his career in both sports.

Jackson was in Chicago to throw out the first pitch for the White Sox Monday, and in the press box he weighed in on the Derrick Rose saga — and he has the Bulls’ star’s back, reports the Chicago Tribune.

“I am quite sure that Derrick is going to come back when he needs to,” Jackson told reporters in the press box during a wide-ranging conversation. “I couldn’t say either way whether he should or not. Derrick will know when it’s time to come back. I think he has handled it very well. It seems like the people who are having fits about this are you guys.

“Derrick has handled it well. He is a new dad and seems happy. Why push it? Between the media and the public pushing him he should come back, he should come back … what if he did come back and reinjure himself? Then you’re going to point fingers at the staff of the Bulls saying he shouldn’t have come back. You guys can’t have it both ways. Let him heal, come back home and when he comes back home, welcome him.”

I’m with Jackson on this, to a point. It is Rose’s body, he should only come back when he feels ready to do so. To me, you can’t stand on the outside and say, “the only way he’ll get his health/confidence back is to play.” Those things can come back in a variety of ways. You and I don’t know how his knee feels, how his mind feels. It needs to be his call and his call alone.

But for the sake of a team less than three weeks from starting the playoffs, he needs to tell then if he’s in our out for these playoffs. The team either needs him back or needs to move on for this season mentally. Either decision is a good one, I just don’t think he can come back three games before the playoffs start and have that be a good fit for the team in the postseason.

1. jtchernak - Apr 2, 2013 at 10:25 AM

How is this a top story? This blog is easily the worst out of the football baseball and basketball blogs

• eventhorizon04 - Apr 2, 2013 at 10:47 AM

The top story is at the Football blog is, “The KC Chiefs have narrowed options for No. 1 pick to just four players.” The article simply states that while ProFootball Talk was told it’s 4 players, PFT wasn’t able to get any information on who those 4 players are.

The top story at the baseball blog is, “Felix Hernandez gives John Jaso a Rolex,” and the article simply states that Hernandez gave Jaso a watch.

It’s called a “slow newsday.”

2. pudgalvin - Apr 2, 2013 at 10:38 AM

So go away.

3. eventhorizon04 - Apr 2, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I think most people would agree with this. If Rose isn’t feeling ready, he shouldn’t play. However, the Bulls have just 10 games left before the playoffs start. Most players coming back from knee injury – Ricky Rubio, John Wall, and Iman Shumpert come to mind – require several weeks to play themselves into shape and get into rhythm.

So I would just suggest a cutoff date for Rose – if he doesn’t feel ready to play by April 9th against the Raptors, he’ll be shut down for the rest of the season.
    If he’s ready to go, that would give Rose 6 games to get back into the groove.
    If he’s not ready to go, the team will announce he’s not coming back, and his teammates and his coach will have a few games to process that fact and move on without him. I don’t think it helps either Rose or his team for him to contemplate coming back any later than that since it becomes less likely that he’d be a positive contributor to his team in the playoffs the longer he delays.

4. wherezwaldo - Apr 2, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Bo knows.

5. yousername1512 - Apr 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I don’t mind the story choice. I mind the comma splices used throughout. You can’t separate freestanding clauses with a comma. Use a period, or a semicolon, or a dash, or just add an appropriate conjunction (“and”/”or”/”but”). It’s not that hard a rule to follow. Take some pride.

6. savvybynature - Apr 2, 2013 at 11:21 AM

“he needs to tell then if he’s in our out for these playoffs. The team either needs him back or needs to move on for this season mentally.”

Why? Has anyone on the team told you it is affecting them negatively mentally? Do you have sources?

You say this like it is absolute fact, but I imagine the players don’t even think about it — they are probably more focused on their next opponent. I see this as total media fabrication.

• chitownmatt - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I agree.
      Whatever decision he makes, why does he [or the Bulls] need to advertise it?

That would only make it easier for other teams to prepare for them.

And this BS about it being a distraction to the other players on the team is ridiculous. They all talk to him and practice with him everyday. I’m sure they know just about as much about how he feels and how he is playing as he does.

7. blueintown - Apr 2, 2013 at 11:56 AM

How in the world is Bo Jackson a “Chicago legend”?

8. iowahbr - Apr 2, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Derrick should do what he thinks is best but if he doesn’t play at all this season the biggest problem will be in his head as he waits for the 13/14 season to start. Rose plays at the edge of his physical abilities and the summer will seem a bit long as he waits to get back to action. It won’t be his body but it might be his mind that will require the most rehab.

9. sasquash20 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:35 PM

As someone who spent most of my childhood playing Tecmo bowl I must clear something up. Walter Payton was and is the best sports video character ever. Bo was a close second. Maybe if Bo had not split plays up with M.Allen he would be number 1. Greatest sports game ever. Simple, exciting, and games lasted like 10 minutes (Maddon today takes like an hour) .

• 4thquartermagic - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Interesting. Never heard Walter being unstoppable in that game. I just remember Bo being able to score a TD on nearly every possession.

10. 4thquartermagic - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:32 PM

The 30 for 30 ESPN Documentary on Bo Jackson is amazing. Dude was special. I recommend if you haven’t checked it out.

11. southbeachtalent - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I have my money on Kevin Ware returning before Rose.

Is Rose dunking from a stand still, of his left foot yet? No, oh….

12. mcnannal - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Reblogged this on The Return of Derrick Rose.

• paleihe - Apr 2, 2013 at 3:21 PM

So basically you copy the article, post the intro blurb and link back to the article?

Isn’t that pointless?

• savvybynature - Apr 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Yeah I never understood “reblogging.” Isn’t that also known as “plagiarism?”

• mcnannal - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I reblogged it. I didn’t post the intro. That just comes up when it’s reblogged. Thanks for the sarcastic input. You don’t have to read it.

• mcnannal - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:20 PM

13. stayhigh_247 - Apr 2, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Kurt, you guys are nauseating! How do you know he didn’t already tell management that he isn’t coming back till next year? It wouldn’t be a smart business move to let the cat out of the bag if he isn’t. Common sense should tell you that if he were coming back he would be out there now. “But for the sake of a team less than three weeks from starting the playoffs, he needs to tell then if he’s in our out for these playoffs” You can rest assured they have known the answer to this question for a while now. Not even D Rose could back and win a ring this year with this current squad, beside the fact they haven’t played together all year in a real game. You reporters and bloggers are ridiculous.

• Kurt Helin - Apr 7, 2013 at 10:23 PM

It’s smart business to keep his return a secret?

14. bobby2478 - Apr 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Not sure about you, but if I was the Bulls I’d be making my playoff plans now with the assumption that Rose won’t be back until next year. He hasn’t played all year, and he rightfully won’t rush back for short term gain to sabatoge his career or the Bulls long term future. At some point you have to read the writing on the wall and make plans as if you’ll be without him for the playoffs. You’ve been without him all year, this shouldn’t be anything surprising. If he can play and contribute yet this year, that’s a bonus.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches