Apr 1, 2013, 5:21 PM EDT
Momentum is building in Washington, where the Wizards have won their last seven home games. A palpable sense of excitement surrounds the team, which is closing in on its goal. Though achieving the feat seemed unlikely as recently as weeks ago, the players openly talk about it now. Against all odds, the Wizards might somehow do it.
“That’s what we’re shooting for,” point guard John Wall said of ninth place. “We know we gave a game away in Orlando. … We’re approaching (the last nine games) like a playoff team, like we are fighting for the seventh or eighth seed.”
Perhaps, the Wizards – tied with the Raptors at three games back from the No. 9 76ers with nine games left – will appreciate this approach if they’re healthy and fighting for an actual playoff spot next season. It might be more likely, they’d rather have Shabazz Muhammad playing for them at that point rather than Alex Len – the difference between the draft 9th-best player and 11th-best player according to DraftExpress.
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 25
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 3
- O.J. Mayo suspended one game for punching Pelicans’ Greg Stiemsma in the throat (VIDEO) 6
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 25
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 9