Apr 1, 2013, 5:21 PM EST
Momentum is building in Washington, where the Wizards have won their last seven home games. A palpable sense of excitement surrounds the team, which is closing in on its goal. Though achieving the feat seemed unlikely as recently as weeks ago, the players openly talk about it now. Against all odds, the Wizards might somehow do it.
“That’s what we’re shooting for,” point guard John Wall said of ninth place. “We know we gave a game away in Orlando. … We’re approaching (the last nine games) like a playoff team, like we are fighting for the seventh or eighth seed.”
Perhaps, the Wizards – tied with the Raptors at three games back from the No. 9 76ers with nine games left – will appreciate this approach if they’re healthy and fighting for an actual playoff spot next season. It might be more likely, they’d rather have Shabazz Muhammad playing for them at that point rather than Alex Len – the difference between the draft 9th-best player and 11th-best player according to DraftExpress.
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 0
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 6
- The Extra Pass: The shot that won’t fade away, and Thursday’s recaps 2
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 7
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 13
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (42)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)