Apr 1, 2013, 12:30 AM EDT
Today there were some guys with really nice stat lines that just get an honorable mention. There was Paul Pierce (24 points, 15 rebounds, 5 assists), who was one of the only Celtics to show up. For the Knicks Carmelo Anthony (24 points, 10 rebounds) had a good line but it was really Raymond Felton that drove New York to a win. So we’ll go a different direction.
Third Star: Kyrie Irving (31 points, 6 assists)
It was very good to see Irving back on the court and we saw flashes of what makes him great — early on he had a sweet between-the-legs dish to Tristan Thompson, he was hitting shots in traffic and at one point just embarrassed Lou Amundson. He had limited minutes in his first game back from a shoulder injury and still put up big numbers. It just wasn’t near enough for a Cavs team that got blown out by the Hornets.
Second Star: Chris Bosh (23 points, 9 rebounds)
No LeBron James, no Dwyane Wade and the guy who people seemed to forget used to carry Toronto stepped up and carried the Heat for a day. He can do that folks, he’s good. His numbers are good, but it was his aggressiveness and energy from the start that kept the Heat going in a game they could have just rolled over and lost. And of course, there’s that sweet game-winning three.
First Star: Luol Deng (28 points, 9 rebounds)
The last couple years Deng has gotten voted in as an All-Star reserve by the coaches and a lot of fans have questioned that, but he has shown the coaches know what they are talking about. He was fantastic against the Heat and now against the Pistons on Sunday he had 14 of his points in the fourth quarter. We saw an aggressive and attacking Deng who got to the line for 17 free throw attempts (making 11), the one the Bulls are going to need in the playoffs.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29