Apr 1, 2013, 7:33 PM EDT
Maybe it’s just something about the Wizards.
The Wizards’ biggest names — John Wall, Bradley Beal, Nene and Emeka Okafor — got to play ball with Barack Obama Monday after the White House annual Easter egg roll event. And the Commander in Chief went ice cold, according to J. Michael at CSNWashington.com. He missed about 13 shots in a row.
But he did knock down his last jumper.
“People got nervous at the moment,” Nene said as the President kept missing. “The message is never quit. He made the last shot. It took a while, but he made the last shot.”
Beal blushed when talking about it.
“He missed a lot in a row. We told him to move in a little bit. He missed a lay up. It got out of control,” Beal said. “He was in slacks and he had a collared shirt on. He’s got a few excuses he can use. It was my first time ever going over there. …. That’s a tremendous thing. Not a lot of people have that honor.”
What happened to the president’s midrange game? I think it’s just the Wizards rubbing off on him.
Washington is not a great shooting team — 23rd in NBA in overall team eFG% (which gives shooters a percentage point bump for making threes). They are a solid three point shooting team — 36.5 percent, 11th best in the NBA — but they hit just 37.2 percent of their shots from 10-15 feet (second worst percentage in the NBA) and 34.6 percent from 16 feet out to the arc (again second worst in the NBA).
As I imagine Obama wasn’t hanging out at the arc playing Ray Allen, my guess is he was shooting midrange jumpers at first and just being around the Wizards players made those rim out.
Beal, by the way, almost went House Republican on the president.
“I was about to offer some political tips,” he said with a smile. “Lower some taxes.”
Said like a newly minted 19-year-old millionaire.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29