Apr 1, 2013, 7:33 PM EST
Maybe it’s just something about the Wizards.
The Wizards’ biggest names — John Wall, Bradley Beal, Nene and Emeka Okafor — got to play ball with Barack Obama Monday after the White House annual Easter egg roll event. And the Commander in Chief went ice cold, according to J. Michael at CSNWashington.com. He missed about 13 shots in a row.
But he did knock down his last jumper.
“People got nervous at the moment,” Nene said as the President kept missing. “The message is never quit. He made the last shot. It took a while, but he made the last shot.”
Beal blushed when talking about it.
“He missed a lot in a row. We told him to move in a little bit. He missed a lay up. It got out of control,” Beal said. “He was in slacks and he had a collared shirt on. He’s got a few excuses he can use. It was my first time ever going over there. …. That’s a tremendous thing. Not a lot of people have that honor.”
What happened to the president’s midrange game? I think it’s just the Wizards rubbing off on him.
Washington is not a great shooting team — 23rd in NBA in overall team eFG% (which gives shooters a percentage point bump for making threes). They are a solid three point shooting team — 36.5 percent, 11th best in the NBA — but they hit just 37.2 percent of their shots from 10-15 feet (second worst percentage in the NBA) and 34.6 percent from 16 feet out to the arc (again second worst in the NBA).
As I imagine Obama wasn’t hanging out at the arc playing Ray Allen, my guess is he was shooting midrange jumpers at first and just being around the Wizards players made those rim out.
Beal, by the way, almost went House Republican on the president.
“I was about to offer some political tips,” he said with a smile. “Lower some taxes.”
Said like a newly minted 19-year-old millionaire.
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 4
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 24
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36