Apr 1, 2013, 6:40 PM EST
When the news leaked that Ty Lawson had a plantar fascia tear in right heel we told you this was not good news — Pau Gasol had just been out six weeks with a plantar fascia tear.
There remains no official timetable with Lawson but in a story about the optimism around the Nuggets on their official site, the news about Lawson was not as optimistic from coach George Karl.
“I have a feeling that he had somewhat of a (partial) tear in his plantar fasciitis and that’s untreatable,” Karl said. “But popping it creates a situation where now once the soreness goes away, he probably should be able to be pain-free. It could come in a couple weeks.
“His job and our job is to figure out how to get him feeling 100 percent and having some confidence playing the game of basketball. I think it’s a situation where it’s going to work out. I’m optimistic about how it’s going to work out.”
Well, that’s both not good and vague.
The problem is where the Nuggets are in the standings — they are currently the three seed, but just half a game ahead of Memphis and tied with them in the loss column; and one game ahead of the Clippers (one up in the loss column). But remember the Clippers can go no lower than the four seed because they will win the Pacific (they can clinch it Monday night). The Clippers don’t automatically get home court in the first round, however, the better record does.
The bottom line is the three seed amongst Denver, Memphis and Los Angeles will likely get Golden State in the first round and the next two will get each other. The three seed has an easier path to the second round.
Lawson is the mist indispensable Nugget, he drives their offense and creates shots when things get stagnant. He’s also pretty confident. Denver is going to have to find a way to get wins until the season ends and try to hold on to that three seed or at least the four seed — get that home court advantage and Denver is much tougher to beat.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 14
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 36
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 52
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 42
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28