Apr 1, 2013, 5:57 PM EDT
The Knicks are 46-26, and though a 4-6 finish to the season probably wouldn’t please them, they’re acting like it would be come with some positives. Ian Begley of ESPN:
On the white board in a back corner of the Knicks’ locker room, “50” was written in blue marker, big enough for everyone to see.
Under the number was the word “goal” — written in big blue letters.
Rasheed Wallace wanted his teammates to know it after the win.
So he sent the message by writing it on the white board during the Knicks’ win over the Celtics game.
“We came in here and that was up there,” Steve Novak said. “Once we were in the huddle and broke (Wallace) kind of stopped everybody and said, ‘Hey, the 50’s up there’ and he explained it. He’s right.”
This is a big deal for the Knicks franchise, which hasn’t won 50 games in 13 years. Since the Knicks went 50-32 in 1999-2000, 24 different teams have won 50 games.
But I don’t get why this such a big deal for the Knicks players. Of the 15 players on their roster, 12 have played for a 50-game winner before. Only rookies Chris Copeland and Pablo Prigioni and second-year pro Iman Shumpert haven’t.
I’m sure the Knicks view 50 wins as one goal of many, but this just stinks of a team celebrating because it knows it’s not capable earning bigger victories down the road.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37