Apr 1, 2013, 5:57 PM EST
The Knicks are 46-26, and though a 4-6 finish to the season probably wouldn’t please them, they’re acting like it would be come with some positives. Ian Begley of ESPN:
On the white board in a back corner of the Knicks’ locker room, “50″ was written in blue marker, big enough for everyone to see.
Under the number was the word “goal” — written in big blue letters.
Rasheed Wallace wanted his teammates to know it after the win.
So he sent the message by writing it on the white board during the Knicks’ win over the Celtics game.
“We came in here and that was up there,” Steve Novak said. “Once we were in the huddle and broke (Wallace) kind of stopped everybody and said, ‘Hey, the 50′s up there’ and he explained it. He’s right.”
This is a big deal for the Knicks franchise, which hasn’t won 50 games in 13 years. Since the Knicks went 50-32 in 1999-2000, 24 different teams have won 50 games.
But I don’t get why this such a big deal for the Knicks players. Of the 15 players on their roster, 12 have played for a 50-game winner before. Only rookies Chris Copeland and Pablo Prigioni and second-year pro Iman Shumpert haven’t.
I’m sure the Knicks view 50 wins as one goal of many, but this just stinks of a team celebrating because it knows it’s not capable earning bigger victories down the road.
- Mike D’Antoni: Chances “pretty good” Kobe plays Sunday… he sold that short 3
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 11
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 17
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)