Apr 1, 2013, 5:57 PM EDT
The Knicks are 46-26, and though a 4-6 finish to the season probably wouldn’t please them, they’re acting like it would be come with some positives. Ian Begley of ESPN:
On the white board in a back corner of the Knicks’ locker room, “50” was written in blue marker, big enough for everyone to see.
Under the number was the word “goal” — written in big blue letters.
Rasheed Wallace wanted his teammates to know it after the win.
So he sent the message by writing it on the white board during the Knicks’ win over the Celtics game.
“We came in here and that was up there,” Steve Novak said. “Once we were in the huddle and broke (Wallace) kind of stopped everybody and said, ‘Hey, the 50’s up there’ and he explained it. He’s right.”
This is a big deal for the Knicks franchise, which hasn’t won 50 games in 13 years. Since the Knicks went 50-32 in 1999-2000, 24 different teams have won 50 games.
But I don’t get why this such a big deal for the Knicks players. Of the 15 players on their roster, 12 have played for a 50-game winner before. Only rookies Chris Copeland and Pablo Prigioni and second-year pro Iman Shumpert haven’t.
I’m sure the Knicks view 50 wins as one goal of many, but this just stinks of a team celebrating because it knows it’s not capable earning bigger victories down the road.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30