Jason Maxiell out for season with detached retina, surgery

Apr 1, 2013, 9:32 PM EDT

Maxiell_Jason

A couple weeks ago, Pistons forward Jason Maxiell was noticed some blurry vision, got some eye drops from the team and thought that was that. Except it kept getting worse.

Maxiell went to a specialist who found something more serious — a detached retina. That requires surgery and he had it Sunday, which means he is done for the season. The recovery time on this is two months but he should make a full recovery.

Maxiell started at the four for 71 of the Pistons 72 games, averaging 6.9 points on 44.6 percent shooting, plus 5.7 rebounds a game. He had a PER of 11.3, which is not what you want in a starter. He was in the crosshairs of fans calling for Andre Drummond to start and get more minutes, but Lawrence Frank stuck with Maxiell. For some reason.

Maxiell is a free agent and this surgery shouldn’t impact him too much. If you picked him up as a solid veteran reserve you brought off the bench for 15-20 minutes a night he would fit the bill. The Pistons asked a lot more.

1. bifford - Apr 1, 2013 at 9:55 PM

And nobody of value was lost. I half wonder if he threw a fit about giving the starting job up to Drummond and this is a cover story?

2. money2long - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:12 PM

i believe amare suffered through this same ailment. get well soon . scary stuff.

3. asimonetti88 - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:39 PM

That sounds painful.

• jaerba - Apr 1, 2013 at 11:45 PM

It’s not really painful unless there’s other damage from an injury (like high pressure), but your vision becomes more and more obstructed and you see a lot of flashes and floaters.

Also, PBT, quit using PER already. Sheesh. Either go with a real advanced stat or quit pretending.

• asimonetti88 - Apr 2, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Hmm, interesting. Guess it just sounds painful then. Nonetheless, I wish him a quick and full recovery.

And yeah, I am not a big fan of PER either.

4. mulyaniazmi - Apr 1, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Reblogged this on mulyaniazmi.

5. ryanprzy - Apr 2, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Max has been a Piston now for 7 or 8 years, mainly off the bench, and he’s provided us with a bit of energy at times. I don’t want to say that he’s been a valuable player in all of that time, but he hung around and he was a part of some good Piston teams in the past.

That said, I hope we don’t re-sign him this offseason. If we’re going to commit to a full-on rebuild — and we’re in the middle stages of that — then we simply cannot have him taking minutes away from the younger guys.

I’m not the type to get all sentimental but if Max has played his last game as a Piston, then thanks to him and good luck to him in the future. I don’t think he can be a key cog on any contender, but I hope that he latches onto another team and gets some minutes here and there. He has at times provided a spark for us with his tenacity and his approach to the game, and he deserves to continue to that in the NBA, but like I said, I hope it’s not on the Pistons roster.

• jaerba - Apr 2, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Don’t forget the ’08 playoffs where he actually gave D12 hell. I’ll never forget 6’7″ Maxiell keeping Howard out of the paint, although I guess it probably says more about Howard’s game than anything else.

Watch, the Spurs will sign him and it’ll turn out he can actually shoot 3s.

6. circuscivics - Apr 2, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I remember when Amare had this injury. The recovery sounds worst than the injury. He basically had to lay face down on one of those masseuse tables all day in a dimly lit room. He only got up to use the bathroom and eat. I’d go nuts doing that.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches