Apr 1, 2013, 9:32 PM EDT
A couple weeks ago, Pistons forward Jason Maxiell was noticed some blurry vision, got some eye drops from the team and thought that was that. Except it kept getting worse.
Maxiell went to a specialist who found something more serious — a detached retina. That requires surgery and he had it Sunday, which means he is done for the season. The recovery time on this is two months but he should make a full recovery.
Maxiell started at the four for 71 of the Pistons 72 games, averaging 6.9 points on 44.6 percent shooting, plus 5.7 rebounds a game. He had a PER of 11.3, which is not what you want in a starter. He was in the crosshairs of fans calling for Andre Drummond to start and get more minutes, but Lawrence Frank stuck with Maxiell. For some reason.
Maxiell is a free agent and this surgery shouldn’t impact him too much. If you picked him up as a solid veteran reserve you brought off the bench for 15-20 minutes a night he would fit the bill. The Pistons asked a lot more.
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 2
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 1
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 52
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6