Apr 1, 2013, 9:32 PM EDT
A couple weeks ago, Pistons forward Jason Maxiell was noticed some blurry vision, got some eye drops from the team and thought that was that. Except it kept getting worse.
Maxiell went to a specialist who found something more serious — a detached retina. That requires surgery and he had it Sunday, which means he is done for the season. The recovery time on this is two months but he should make a full recovery.
Maxiell started at the four for 71 of the Pistons 72 games, averaging 6.9 points on 44.6 percent shooting, plus 5.7 rebounds a game. He had a PER of 11.3, which is not what you want in a starter. He was in the crosshairs of fans calling for Andre Drummond to start and get more minutes, but Lawrence Frank stuck with Maxiell. For some reason.
Maxiell is a free agent and this surgery shouldn’t impact him too much. If you picked him up as a solid veteran reserve you brought off the bench for 15-20 minutes a night he would fit the bill. The Pistons asked a lot more.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 44
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 60
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59