Apr 1, 2013, 9:32 PM EDT
A couple weeks ago, Pistons forward Jason Maxiell was noticed some blurry vision, got some eye drops from the team and thought that was that. Except it kept getting worse.
Maxiell went to a specialist who found something more serious — a detached retina. That requires surgery and he had it Sunday, which means he is done for the season. The recovery time on this is two months but he should make a full recovery.
Maxiell started at the four for 71 of the Pistons 72 games, averaging 6.9 points on 44.6 percent shooting, plus 5.7 rebounds a game. He had a PER of 11.3, which is not what you want in a starter. He was in the crosshairs of fans calling for Andre Drummond to start and get more minutes, but Lawrence Frank stuck with Maxiell. For some reason.
Maxiell is a free agent and this surgery shouldn’t impact him too much. If you picked him up as a solid veteran reserve you brought off the bench for 15-20 minutes a night he would fit the bill. The Pistons asked a lot more.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 8
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 43
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 54
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16