Apr 1, 2013, 9:32 PM EDT
A couple weeks ago, Pistons forward Jason Maxiell was noticed some blurry vision, got some eye drops from the team and thought that was that. Except it kept getting worse.
Maxiell went to a specialist who found something more serious — a detached retina. That requires surgery and he had it Sunday, which means he is done for the season. The recovery time on this is two months but he should make a full recovery.
Maxiell started at the four for 71 of the Pistons 72 games, averaging 6.9 points on 44.6 percent shooting, plus 5.7 rebounds a game. He had a PER of 11.3, which is not what you want in a starter. He was in the crosshairs of fans calling for Andre Drummond to start and get more minutes, but Lawrence Frank stuck with Maxiell. For some reason.
Maxiell is a free agent and this surgery shouldn’t impact him too much. If you picked him up as a solid veteran reserve you brought off the bench for 15-20 minutes a night he would fit the bill. The Pistons asked a lot more.
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 4
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 78
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 8
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 77
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 26
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 45
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 17
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17