Apr 1, 2013, 2:17 PM EST
If you were hoping to get any read for a potential playoff matchup between the Spurs and Grizzlies out of Monday night’s matchup, think again.
This is part of the Greg Popovich resting guys for the playoffs plan, which after David Stern’s fine earlier this year will now pretty much always include an injury of some kind. No doubt Duncan and Leonard have sore knees — who doesn’t at this point in the NBA season? — but this is more about a back-to-back and thinking long terms and playoffs.
The league did this a lot before the expansion of rosters and teams — little injuries were included before every rest game.
The Spurs lost at home to the Heat on Sunday, a loss when the Heat were resting their two biggest stars. These couple losses in a row don’t mean much to the Spurs, save for a quest to have the top seed in the West.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 4
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8