Apr 1, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT
If you were hoping to get any read for a potential playoff matchup between the Spurs and Grizzlies out of Monday night’s matchup, think again.
This is part of the Greg Popovich resting guys for the playoffs plan, which after David Stern’s fine earlier this year will now pretty much always include an injury of some kind. No doubt Duncan and Leonard have sore knees — who doesn’t at this point in the NBA season? — but this is more about a back-to-back and thinking long terms and playoffs.
The league did this a lot before the expansion of rosters and teams — little injuries were included before every rest game.
The Spurs lost at home to the Heat on Sunday, a loss when the Heat were resting their two biggest stars. These couple losses in a row don’t mean much to the Spurs, save for a quest to have the top seed in the West.
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 2
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 5
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6