Apr 1, 2013, 2:17 PM EST
If you were hoping to get any read for a potential playoff matchup between the Spurs and Grizzlies out of Monday night’s matchup, think again.
This is part of the Greg Popovich resting guys for the playoffs plan, which after David Stern’s fine earlier this year will now pretty much always include an injury of some kind. No doubt Duncan and Leonard have sore knees — who doesn’t at this point in the NBA season? — but this is more about a back-to-back and thinking long terms and playoffs.
The league did this a lot before the expansion of rosters and teams — little injuries were included before every rest game.
The Spurs lost at home to the Heat on Sunday, a loss when the Heat were resting their two biggest stars. These couple losses in a row don’t mean much to the Spurs, save for a quest to have the top seed in the West.
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 9
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 17
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 10
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36