Apr 1, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT
If you were hoping to get any read for a potential playoff matchup between the Spurs and Grizzlies out of Monday night’s matchup, think again.
This is part of the Greg Popovich resting guys for the playoffs plan, which after David Stern’s fine earlier this year will now pretty much always include an injury of some kind. No doubt Duncan and Leonard have sore knees — who doesn’t at this point in the NBA season? — but this is more about a back-to-back and thinking long terms and playoffs.
The league did this a lot before the expansion of rosters and teams — little injuries were included before every rest game.
The Spurs lost at home to the Heat on Sunday, a loss when the Heat were resting their two biggest stars. These couple losses in a row don’t mean much to the Spurs, save for a quest to have the top seed in the West.
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 0
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 26
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 25
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 26
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23