Mar 31, 2013, 5:52 PM EDT
A possible NBA Finals preview between the Heat and the Spurs on Sunday in San Antonio will now be nothing more than a regular season contest featuring at least one team playing mostly with its reserves.
Wade had missed two games earlier this week due to a sore knee, but he’s believed to have other minor ailments which were recently reaggravated. For James, it will be the first time all season he’s missed one of his team’s games.
Erik Spoelstra told reporters pregame that it was a hamstring that was keeping James out, one that kept him from returning in the fourth quarter of Friday’s win New Orleans.
This will be the final meeting between the Heat and the Spurs in the regular season, and as you may recall, the last time they faced each other in Miami, the Spurs were the ones who were without three of their top players.
Gregg Popovich held Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobili out of that one simply to give them some extra rest, and his brashness in sending them home to San Antonio before the game even started caused the league to come down on the Spurs with a $250,000 fine for the team’s actions.
Given the fact that James, Wade, and Chalmers are all in the building in San Antonio, along with the fact that injuries are being used as the reason for the decision to hold them out, it’s highly unlikely that the Heat would be similarly fined.
But it is disappointing that we’ll have to wait until June if we’re to see the teams with the top two records in the league go head-to-head while both are at full strength.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 11
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 37
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 49
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 17
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11