Mar 31, 2013, 5:52 PM EDT
A possible NBA Finals preview between the Heat and the Spurs on Sunday in San Antonio will now be nothing more than a regular season contest featuring at least one team playing mostly with its reserves.
Wade had missed two games earlier this week due to a sore knee, but he’s believed to have other minor ailments which were recently reaggravated. For James, it will be the first time all season he’s missed one of his team’s games.
Erik Spoelstra told reporters pregame that it was a hamstring that was keeping James out, one that kept him from returning in the fourth quarter of Friday’s win New Orleans.
This will be the final meeting between the Heat and the Spurs in the regular season, and as you may recall, the last time they faced each other in Miami, the Spurs were the ones who were without three of their top players.
Gregg Popovich held Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobili out of that one simply to give them some extra rest, and his brashness in sending them home to San Antonio before the game even started caused the league to come down on the Spurs with a $250,000 fine for the team’s actions.
Given the fact that James, Wade, and Chalmers are all in the building in San Antonio, along with the fact that injuries are being used as the reason for the decision to hold them out, it’s highly unlikely that the Heat would be similarly fined.
But it is disappointing that we’ll have to wait until June if we’re to see the teams with the top two records in the league go head-to-head while both are at full strength.
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 6
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 17
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29