Andre Iguodala confirms he plans to opt out after season

Mar 31, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT

Andre Iguodala AP

Odds are Andre Iguodala is back in Nuggets powder blue (and sometimes bright yellow) next season. There is a real fit there — on an up-tempo team he provides an athletic slashing scorer and perimeter defender they need to reach the top levels of the conference.

But the Nuggets are going to have to pony up a big wad of cash for the next four years or so to keep him.

Iguodala confirmed to Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida he likely will do what we all expected — opt out of the $16.1 million he is owed next season to seek a long-term deal. And yes, Iguodala knows that his next deal is not likely to start at $16.1 million.

“Yeah, definitely,’’ Iguodala, 29, said of that being a distinct possibility. “You got to weigh options. Security-wise, a player would opt, especially with the type of season we’ve had as a team. Teams know what I can bring to them, and I know (the Nuggets) know what I can bring to a team here.

“Players get like $50, $60 or $70 or $80 (million over multiple years), whatever the number was, they gave up a big number (in an option season by opting out). But in the grand scheme of things, pretty much get it back. You got security.’’

Denver’s front office has known this was coming since they jumped in the Andrew Bynum/Dwight Howard trade to get him. They certainly have a number in mind — with Iguodala off the books they would have about $52.5 million on the books for the next season, so they have the room to bring Iggy back and tweak the roster in other places. The Nuggets will not want to pay the luxury tax but that likely will be in the $72 million a year ballpark next season.

Of course, there is a chance a team other than the Nuggets could come in with a bigger offer. But Iggy likes where he’s at.

“My main goal is, if we win here, everything will take care of itself, no matter what,’’ Iguodala said. “I want to play for a team where I have an impact on the game without even scoring … I feel like if I win (with the Nuggets), I won’t have to worry about having to prove my worth.

“Obviously, it’s a business, so you’re going to look at your options. Here we have some good (prospects). But I’m not making any promises. But I’ve liked the last month and a half, two months, three months or however long (that Denver has been on a roll). It’s important for the future, so I’m just trying to win.’’

Iggy also said he would like to get back in the fold with Team USA — he won a gold medal in Turkey in 2010 at the World Championships with the squad and another in London at the Olympics. On a team that likes to run and needs good perimeter defenders he is a good fit, but it will depend on the team makeup and how many of the superstars of the game decide to play in 2014 for the next round of World Championships.

But that’s a summer away. Right now it is the playoffs then an interesting summer that are on Iguodala’s plate.

1. patfic15 - Mar 31, 2013 at 10:55 AM

$16.1 mil>security.

2. dysraw1 - Mar 31, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Iggy. is so big in Denver that at this moment he’s the winner in the 3 team blockbuster deal

3. dysraw1 - Mar 31, 2013 at 11:31 AM

or i should say makes Denver the winner in the deal

4. dysraw1 - Mar 31, 2013 at 11:41 AM

looking at his age i would venture to say big payday is to be expected. but he is definitely worth it for whoever is smart enough to pay him.

5. joroberts10 - Mar 31, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Didn’t get an invite to London? He was definitely there! How do you mess that up?

• jimeejohnson - Mar 31, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Thinkin’ about those Lakers too much.

6. 3fingerlenny - Mar 31, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Iggy stinks

7. gobucs5 - Mar 31, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Umm orlando won the deal

8. thomaskouns - Mar 31, 2013 at 4:43 PM

He’s good but not that good. If he was, Philli would have never parted with him.

His shooting percentage has gone down the last three years, he’s only scoring 13ppg last time I checked and he’s peaking right now in terms of age.

Signing guys to big long term deals can be very risky as for mot players tha’s when their athleticism starts to diminish.

9. dacapt704 - Mar 31, 2013 at 9:27 PM

As an NBA fan for over 25 years this is one the reasons why the league is in shambles now…guys like this get paid superstar money when in reality he would be a nice 3rd piece on a winning team. You CANNOT build your franchise around him and he is not a “Robin” to a “Batman”. He is a guy who relies on athleticism more than anything else, which will fade in time. His jumper is ok, his defense is good but thats about the only area he is above average…

Look, I like Iggy, I think he plays hard but…he should NOT be $50 million contract player

• bougin89 - Apr 2, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I think you’re selling him a little short, but I agree he is not a 50 million dollar type of guy. I think his value is more in the range of 4 years 40 million though. In a league of overpaid players Iggy gives you a lot more than some guys making much more than that. In the end I bet he gets more than 4 years 40 million, not that I agree with that.

10. phillyphannn83 - Apr 1, 2013 at 4:29 AM

exactly why he’s not in Philly anymore. Iggy is a 6-8 mill/year type of player. He’s ridiculously overpaid. He can make some flashy dunks and his D is probably top 5 in the league, but his shot is average at best and he choked in the clutch more than he succeeded.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches