Mar 30, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Details of the surgery, a procedure to repair the sore Achilles, and the recovery period are to be determined.
“After thoroughly reviewing the possible options with Zaza, we all felt this was the best decision to ensure Zaza’s complete recovery so that he can be at 100 percent going forward,” Hawks President of Basketball Operations and General Manger Danny Ferry said. “Zaza is a professional with a strong work ethic. The Hawks will continue to be completely supportive as he tackles the return to play process.”
The injury was originally suffered on January 21.
The question now becomes whether Pachulia has played his last game as a member of the Atlanta Hawks; he’ll be an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season.
Pachulia has spent the last eight seasons in Atlanta, and has career averages of 6.8 points and 5.5 rebounds, while playing 20.4 minutes per contest.
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 0
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 12
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 19
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 52
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 4
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 17
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 32