Mar 30, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
It was a well-designed play well executed. That is to say, it was vintage Spurs.
Down 1 with :07 seconds left to the Clippers, the Spurs needed a last second shot and (with Manu Ginobili out) logic suggests they would turn to Tony Parker (who can create his own look). But while Parker tries to flash to the corner he is the decoy. Danny Green gets the inbounds out high but after Tim Duncan sets a screen for Parker he curls up toward a favorite spot of his, the elbow. Kawhi Leonard inbounded the ball then went and set a screen for Duncan so when Duncan gets the pass from Green, he can take one dribble and pull up in a spot he loves. make a pump fake that Willie Green bites on then goes up knowing he’s going to get a foul call.
He also got the shot to fall. And-one. Game Spurs. Duncan finished with 34 points and 11 boards.
When it came down to little plays and execution, the Spurs were the Spurs and the Clippers… are coached by Vinny Del Negro.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 18
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 62
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 66
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8