Mar 30, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
It was a well-designed play well executed. That is to say, it was vintage Spurs.
Down 1 with :07 seconds left to the Clippers, the Spurs needed a last second shot and (with Manu Ginobili out) logic suggests they would turn to Tony Parker (who can create his own look). But while Parker tries to flash to the corner he is the decoy. Danny Green gets the inbounds out high but after Tim Duncan sets a screen for Parker he curls up toward a favorite spot of his, the elbow. Kawhi Leonard inbounded the ball then went and set a screen for Duncan so when Duncan gets the pass from Green, he can take one dribble and pull up in a spot he loves. make a pump fake that Willie Green bites on then goes up knowing he’s going to get a foul call.
He also got the shot to fall. And-one. Game Spurs. Duncan finished with 34 points and 11 boards.
When it came down to little plays and execution, the Spurs were the Spurs and the Clippers… are coached by Vinny Del Negro.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 9
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 69
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30