Mar 29, 2013, 2:12 PM EST
Rumors have been swirling that there is some kind of rift between Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins and their star forward Zach Randolph. It was even hinted at during a recent Grizzlies broadcast.
But the two say there is nothing to it.
“Our relationship is fine,” Randolph said. “I respect my coach.”
“The only beef I had with Zach is he was excessively late for a shootaround that started at 4:30 p.m. (last Saturday),” Hollins said. “I told him I can’t start you and he understood. Everybody’s got their opinion about what goes on in our locker room. But only the people in there know. I haven’t had a beef with Zach and he hasn’t had one with me.”
Randolph’s numbers have been down lately — in his last five games he is scoring 11.4 points a game (down from his season average of 15.5) and is shooting just 37.7 percent (46.5 percent for season). His rebounding and other numbers are off as well.
But that’s not about a feud with the coach, Hollins said.
“If you watch the games, we’re getting him the ball. It’s just now teams are taking him away. They’re running three people at him and he’s making passes. Other people are having to step up and try to do things. It’s just the way it is.”
Go ahead and add this to your list of questions about whether Hollins will be back next season. Hollins already slammed NBA advanced statistics after a numbers guy just bought the team and reshaped the front office, if he’s having issues with players that adds to it. But in the end, if Memphis wins he’ll be back. It’s that simple.
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 12
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 28
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 20
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13
- Anderson Varejao leaves Cavaliers game with foot injury not to return, MRI Wednesday 5
- Report: Rockets ‘very confident’ they’ll land Josh Smith 19
- Report: Sixers want Andrei Kirilenko to report to team, prepare to play 16