Mar 29, 2013, 1:06 PM EST
This is not good for Denver.
Ty Lawson is engine of the Nuggets up-tempo, ball distributing offense and the guy they can count on to create shots for himself and others in the halfcourt late in games.
He has a plantar fascia tear in right heel, the team announced. He will not play against Brooklyn on Friday and is officially listed as day-to-day.
A torn plantar fascia is what had Pau Gasol had and missed six weeks because of. There are degrees of tears, so the severity of the Lawson injury certainly could be less.
But this is not good.
Lawson missed three games with the heel injury, then tried to return against the Spurs but was not on the court at the end of a close game saying he “could not move” because of the heel pain. They missed him. On the season Lawson averages 17.3 points and 7.1 assists per game, plus he knocks down 36 percent of his threes.
He needs time off to let this heal, right up to the start of the playoffs if that is what it takes. Then see what he can do. With a healthy Lawson the Nuggets are a threat in the West and a team nobody wants to face, but if he is slowed they become much more beatable.
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 2
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 1
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 13
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 12
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 48
- Former Warriors coach Mark Jackson meets with Kings GM, DeMarcus Cousins after Tuesday night’s game 25
- PBT’s Tuesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Grizzlies grind ends Warriors streak 12