Mar 29, 2013, 1:06 PM EDT
This is not good for Denver.
Ty Lawson is engine of the Nuggets up-tempo, ball distributing offense and the guy they can count on to create shots for himself and others in the halfcourt late in games.
He has a plantar fascia tear in right heel, the team announced. He will not play against Brooklyn on Friday and is officially listed as day-to-day.
A torn plantar fascia is what had Pau Gasol had and missed six weeks because of. There are degrees of tears, so the severity of the Lawson injury certainly could be less.
But this is not good.
Lawson missed three games with the heel injury, then tried to return against the Spurs but was not on the court at the end of a close game saying he “could not move” because of the heel pain. They missed him. On the season Lawson averages 17.3 points and 7.1 assists per game, plus he knocks down 36 percent of his threes.
He needs time off to let this heal, right up to the start of the playoffs if that is what it takes. Then see what he can do. With a healthy Lawson the Nuggets are a threat in the West and a team nobody wants to face, but if he is slowed they become much more beatable.
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 0
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 3
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 16
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12