Mar 29, 2013, 1:06 PM EDT
This is not good for Denver.
Ty Lawson is engine of the Nuggets up-tempo, ball distributing offense and the guy they can count on to create shots for himself and others in the halfcourt late in games.
He has a plantar fascia tear in right heel, the team announced. He will not play against Brooklyn on Friday and is officially listed as day-to-day.
A torn plantar fascia is what had Pau Gasol had and missed six weeks because of. There are degrees of tears, so the severity of the Lawson injury certainly could be less.
But this is not good.
Lawson missed three games with the heel injury, then tried to return against the Spurs but was not on the court at the end of a close game saying he “could not move” because of the heel pain. They missed him. On the season Lawson averages 17.3 points and 7.1 assists per game, plus he knocks down 36 percent of his threes.
He needs time off to let this heal, right up to the start of the playoffs if that is what it takes. Then see what he can do. With a healthy Lawson the Nuggets are a threat in the West and a team nobody wants to face, but if he is slowed they become much more beatable.
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 13
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 94
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 10
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 77
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 27
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 46
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 17
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17