Mar 29, 2013, 1:06 PM EDT
This is not good for Denver.
Ty Lawson is engine of the Nuggets up-tempo, ball distributing offense and the guy they can count on to create shots for himself and others in the halfcourt late in games.
He has a plantar fascia tear in right heel, the team announced. He will not play against Brooklyn on Friday and is officially listed as day-to-day.
A torn plantar fascia is what had Pau Gasol had and missed six weeks because of. There are degrees of tears, so the severity of the Lawson injury certainly could be less.
But this is not good.
Lawson missed three games with the heel injury, then tried to return against the Spurs but was not on the court at the end of a close game saying he “could not move” because of the heel pain. They missed him. On the season Lawson averages 17.3 points and 7.1 assists per game, plus he knocks down 36 percent of his threes.
He needs time off to let this heal, right up to the start of the playoffs if that is what it takes. Then see what he can do. With a healthy Lawson the Nuggets are a threat in the West and a team nobody wants to face, but if he is slowed they become much more beatable.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 5
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 10
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 30
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 8