Three Stars of the Night: Larry Sanders, DeMarcus Cousins focus on the game instead of the officials
Mar 29, 2013, 1:48 AM EDT
There are some very good players in the league who let their emotions get the best of them more often than not, and as a result, they have a bad reputation where the officials are concerned.
But sometimes, these guys simply play their games to perfection, and dominate in the process. That’s what we saw tonight from two of our Three Stars.
Paul George (24 points, eight rebounds, six assists, three steals in win at Dallas)
The Mavericks have crawled back into the Western Conference playoff picture after struggling with injuries to key players throughout the majority of the season. Dallas had been playing much better as of late, yet that mattered little to a Pacers team that has been, for the most part, solid all season long.
George’s all-around effort was key in this one offensively, while the Pacers as a team shut down the Mavericks almost completely, holding them to just 38.6 percent shooting and killing them on the glass by a 21-rebound margin.
DeMarcus Cousins (34 points on 16 shots, 14 rebounds in 30 minutes of action)
Cousins had it all going in this one, and any time he focuses on the matter at hand instead of the way the officials (or broadcasters) are calling the game, he has a chance to turn in a special performance.
His effort in this one might have been good enough to earn him top honors of the night, had the Suns actually been interested in fielding a team that featured their best players.
Larry Sanders (Career-high 21 points on 11 shots, 13 rebounds, two blocked shots)
Everyone who follows the NBA closely loves Larry Sanders’ game. He’s athletic, defends, and plays with energy on a nightly basis that makes him fun to watch.
His recent tear of technical fouls and ejections diminished that more than a little bit, but Sanders seems to be back on track, focusing on his game above all else. The Bucks used a balanced attack to dispatch the Lakers on thursday, and when you manage to lead your team in scoring while playing with both Brandon Jennings and Monta Ellis, you know it was a special night.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 11
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 16
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 20
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2