Reggie Evans: Teammate’s insult inspired strong month

Mar 29, 2013, 10:12 AM EDT

P.J. Carlesimo, Joe Johnson, Reggie Evans, Reggie Evans

Reggie Evans’ 22-point, 26-rebound performance against the Trail Blazers stood above the rest, but it was only one game during an excellent month. In March, Evans has averaged 7.3 points (56 percent shooting) and 15.5 rebounds per game.

What prompted such an uptick? Evans, via Stefan Bondy of New York Daily News (hat tip: Devin Kharpertian of The Brooklyn Game):

“I got frustrated one day when one of my teammates told my coach to take me out the game. I bit my tongue. I didn’t say nothing to (my teammate),” Evans said.

“But me, knowing me, I usually attack and say something. I bit my tongue. I said, ‘Ok.’ I said, ‘Alright, start being aggressive.’ So I took it in a positive way, instead of just doing my normal self, like ‘What you say? What you say?”

I wish there were more context about how Evans found out about that quote. If he heard the teammate say it, OK. But if P.J. Carlesimo told him a teammate said it, I’d be willing to bet Carlesimo made up the whole thing to motivate Evans.

1. money2long - Mar 29, 2013 at 10:47 AM

reggie is a beast. he could get a good contract when he is a free agent. he’s balled out all year for what he’s paid to do: hustle, rebound, frustrate opponents

• hqdeezy - Mar 29, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Why did he wait until the age of 32 to ball out?

• money2long - Mar 29, 2013 at 5:38 PM

he’s always been a consistent rebounder. a starting role on a good team helps

2. cbad760 - Mar 29, 2013 at 11:01 AM

If the beast could play any defense at all, fine. But this guy has no business in any starting line up.

3. dirtydrew - Mar 29, 2013 at 11:56 AM

He should have been playing hard and aggressively since he came in the nba. Soft is not how it gets done.

• sasquash20 - Mar 29, 2013 at 5:12 PM

He was never played that much early on. Guy always hustled.

4. scoregasmic - Mar 29, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Cbad saying Reggie Evans can’t play defense? Are you kidding me?

• illegalblues - Mar 29, 2013 at 4:18 PM

dude’s a matador, look it up.

5. evolrider - Mar 29, 2013 at 2:19 PM

As a sixers fan, I miss this guy. Used to get the place chanting his name from hustle alone, now we have Andrew Bynum, Evan Turner, and Nick Young.

• sasquash20 - Mar 29, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I totally agree. He is exactly what we need too. If we only drafted Cousins or Favors (wait and see what Favors does with minutes next year 15-20 pts/game 8-12 reb/game and 1-3 blocks a game) instead of that stiff Turner. Then we never make the Bynum trade. Not saying that makes us a contender right now but we would have a young PG in Holiday and a 4/5 in Cousins or Favors. And they are all under 23. You keep the 2 kids that went to Orlando for Bynum, and Iggy could have then been delt for a legit 2. Now we have hardly any future. The Sixers have no clue what they are doing.

6. aldavis4president - Mar 29, 2013 at 2:34 PM

@Cbad I don’t think you’ve ever played a minute of ball with a statement that bad.. half the power forwards who do start and play 25-30 min dnt even hit the 10reb mark..you give Evans 15 mins hell crash every board..25-30min? You get more 20+reb games like the last one

7. badintent - Mar 30, 2013 at 3:31 AM

Reggie gets Comeback of the Player Year award. Not even close.

8. kavika6 - Mar 30, 2013 at 8:57 AM

20 bucks it was the coachkiller. He’s an insult machine.

Wizards playing spoiler in East