Mar 29, 2013, 1:39 PM EDT
In this edition of the podcast, Kurt Helin and I sit down to discuss the state of the Lakers following Thursday night’s loss to the Bucks.
We look at how the latest injuries to Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash might affect the team with just nine regular season games remaining, and wonder if the injuries, along with the turnovers and porous defense, are finally getting to be too much to overcome.
We also look at the playoff picture at the bottom of the Western Conference standings, where the schedules that lie ahead for L.A., Dallas and Utah don’t exactly leave the Lakers as the favorites to wrap up that eighth and final postseason spot out West.
We then turn our attention to the Phoenix Suns, who are “resting” their best player for a couple of games, and getting blown out by their opponents while doing so. We discuss the tanking option in the NBA, and while we don’t necessarily have a problem with it in Phoenix, the lack of a long-term plan in place does seem to be troubling for the franchise.
Finally, we discuss the end of the Heat’s 27-game winning streak at the hands of the Bulls earlier this week, and what it might have meant for Miami’s legacy had they been able to run it to 34 straight to set the all-time record. We wrap things up with a discussion of the more physical play in the league, sparked by comments from LeBron James about the way the Bulls played him so physically during that Miami Heat loss.
Click below to listen in your browser, or right-click to download and listen at your convenience.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 7
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50