Mar 29, 2013, 12:28 AM EST
Dallas missed an opportunity.
They missed an opportunity to get to .500 and with that shave their beards that they have grown for entirely too long as motivation to reach that goal.
They also missed the chance to get even with the Lakers for the eighth and final playoff slot in the West (the Lakers lost to the Bucks Thursday).
Actually, to say Dallas missed an opportunity is to phrase that wrong — the Indiana Pacers took that opportunity away from them. The Pacers came into Dallas, cranked up their defensive pressure and coasted to a 103-78 win. It was an opportunity for the Pacers too — they want that number two seed in the East and they helped their cause with this win.
Indiana just won both ends of a tough Texas two-step in Houston and Dallas. That’s impressive.
This win came on the day the Pacers learned they would be without Danny Granger the rest of the season but got David West back — now they know what their rotation will look like. West looked rusty but the Pacers looked comfortable with him back.
This game was tight for the first half, but at 41-41 at the half the game seemed to be played in the Pacers defense-first style. The question was could they find and offensive groove?
They did when they opened the second half on a 10-1 run, carried by Paul George who had 13 of his 24 in the quarter. There were a couple more runs as the Pacers spaced it out, and every time Dallas would seem to start to make a little push to get back the Pacers would find a way to get easy buckets. Heck, Tyler Hansbrough even made a steal then led a fast break at one point. It became that kind of half for the Pacers.
Dallas is still in the mix for that final playoff spot in the West, especially with the Lakers starting to slip again (and the injury bug biting them again). But they need to start getting wins. And playing better defense than they did in the second half of this game.
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 0
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 10
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 9
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 50
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7