Mar 29, 2013, 1:22 AM EST
It’s weird to try to analyze or figure out this Phoenix Suns team, when it’s clear that they’re more interested in earning ping pong balls than competing to win at this late stage of the season.
There’s nothing wrong with that, necessarily. It’s just that when a team doesn’t field its best possible lineups or combinations featuring its best players, it makes it difficult to take the effort seriously.
Phoenix sat a perfectly healthy Goran Dragic for the second straight game on Thursday, and as a result, Sacramento improved (?) to 8-30 on the road this season with a 117-103 win over the Suns in Phoenix.
It was the second straight road victory for the Kings, who were led by DeMarcus Cousins pouring in 34 points and grabbing 14 rebounds in just 30 minutes of action.
The Suns might be in player development mode, or they might be straight up tanking. Either way, capable players like Dragic and Shannon Brown didn’t see any action while Kendall Marshall, Wes Johnson, and Diante Garrett all played meaningful minutes.
Lindsey Hunter, who took over for Alvin Gentry as head coach earlier this season, was supposed to be impressing a defensive identity on this team to close out the regular season. Instead, all we’ve seen in Phoenix since then have been random lineups with little consistency, while the Suns have given up 117 points twice in their last four games, both times to teams just two and three spots above them at the bottom of the Western Conference standings.
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 0
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 8
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)