Mar 29, 2013, 1:22 AM EDT
It’s weird to try to analyze or figure out this Phoenix Suns team, when it’s clear that they’re more interested in earning ping pong balls than competing to win at this late stage of the season.
There’s nothing wrong with that, necessarily. It’s just that when a team doesn’t field its best possible lineups or combinations featuring its best players, it makes it difficult to take the effort seriously.
Phoenix sat a perfectly healthy Goran Dragic for the second straight game on Thursday, and as a result, Sacramento improved (?) to 8-30 on the road this season with a 117-103 win over the Suns in Phoenix.
It was the second straight road victory for the Kings, who were led by DeMarcus Cousins pouring in 34 points and grabbing 14 rebounds in just 30 minutes of action.
The Suns might be in player development mode, or they might be straight up tanking. Either way, capable players like Dragic and Shannon Brown didn’t see any action while Kendall Marshall, Wes Johnson, and Diante Garrett all played meaningful minutes.
Lindsey Hunter, who took over for Alvin Gentry as head coach earlier this season, was supposed to be impressing a defensive identity on this team to close out the regular season. Instead, all we’ve seen in Phoenix since then have been random lineups with little consistency, while the Suns have given up 117 points twice in their last four games, both times to teams just two and three spots above them at the bottom of the Western Conference standings.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 13
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28