Mar 29, 2013, 1:22 AM EDT
It’s weird to try to analyze or figure out this Phoenix Suns team, when it’s clear that they’re more interested in earning ping pong balls than competing to win at this late stage of the season.
There’s nothing wrong with that, necessarily. It’s just that when a team doesn’t field its best possible lineups or combinations featuring its best players, it makes it difficult to take the effort seriously.
Phoenix sat a perfectly healthy Goran Dragic for the second straight game on Thursday, and as a result, Sacramento improved (?) to 8-30 on the road this season with a 117-103 win over the Suns in Phoenix.
It was the second straight road victory for the Kings, who were led by DeMarcus Cousins pouring in 34 points and grabbing 14 rebounds in just 30 minutes of action.
The Suns might be in player development mode, or they might be straight up tanking. Either way, capable players like Dragic and Shannon Brown didn’t see any action while Kendall Marshall, Wes Johnson, and Diante Garrett all played meaningful minutes.
Lindsey Hunter, who took over for Alvin Gentry as head coach earlier this season, was supposed to be impressing a defensive identity on this team to close out the regular season. Instead, all we’ve seen in Phoenix since then have been random lineups with little consistency, while the Suns have given up 117 points twice in their last four games, both times to teams just two and three spots above them at the bottom of the Western Conference standings.
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 8
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 19
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 12
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 30