Mar 29, 2013, 11:27 PM EDT
The Clippers could certainly use the veteran and capable presence of Chauncey Billups as they finish the regular season, while heading into a postseason battle that could be extremely difficult if the team should end up as part of the 4-5 first round matchup.
Billups has played just 20 games for the Clippers all season, however, and is now sidelined due to injury once again.
“He’s going to be out a little bit,” Del Negro said. “I don’t know how much. I’ll know more [Friday], probably. But I don’t expect him around for a while.
“I’m not sure if Chauncey will be out a game, two games, two weeks. I don’t know yet. It depends on how he reacts working out.”
“We can just never get him healthy, so it’s been tough,” Del Negro said. “I feel bad for him. We’re trying to get some continuity, but it’s hard to when he’s in one or two games and out with the groin or the back or whatever.”
There’s no timetable for Billups to return, and it may turn out that he’s back sooner than expected. But playing as little as he has this season, the Clippers need him to be either in or out as they prepare for the playoffs.
The rotation needs to be solidified as much as possible before then, and the situation surrounding Billups will only make things that much more difficult for Vinny De Negro, who seems to already have his hands full.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10