Mar 29, 2013, 11:27 PM EDT
The Clippers could certainly use the veteran and capable presence of Chauncey Billups as they finish the regular season, while heading into a postseason battle that could be extremely difficult if the team should end up as part of the 4-5 first round matchup.
Billups has played just 20 games for the Clippers all season, however, and is now sidelined due to injury once again.
“He’s going to be out a little bit,” Del Negro said. “I don’t know how much. I’ll know more [Friday], probably. But I don’t expect him around for a while.
“I’m not sure if Chauncey will be out a game, two games, two weeks. I don’t know yet. It depends on how he reacts working out.”
“We can just never get him healthy, so it’s been tough,” Del Negro said. “I feel bad for him. We’re trying to get some continuity, but it’s hard to when he’s in one or two games and out with the groin or the back or whatever.”
There’s no timetable for Billups to return, and it may turn out that he’s back sooner than expected. But playing as little as he has this season, the Clippers need him to be either in or out as they prepare for the playoffs.
The rotation needs to be solidified as much as possible before then, and the situation surrounding Billups will only make things that much more difficult for Vinny De Negro, who seems to already have his hands full.
- Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, Knicks shut him down for season 13
- Celtics’ legend Cedric Maxwell stood in location of Boston Marathon bombing just minutes before 1
- 2014 PBT Awards: Executive of the Year 25
- Playoff Chase: We know all 16 teams going to dance, who dances with whom still up in air 13
- 2014 PBT Awards: Sixth Man of the Year 14