Mar 29, 2013, 9:10 AM EDT
John Hollinger’s NBA Playoff Odds run a simulation 5,000 times to predict the final standings of the NBA season. In two or fewer of those simulations, the Philadelphia 76ers make the playoffs.
Philadelphia – six games back with 11 games remaining – is so unlikely to make the playoffs, its odds appears as 0.0 percent, though that number might be rounded. The East’s top seven teams each show up as 100.0 percent, and No. 8 Milwaukee is 99.9 percent. But even if the Bucks (35-36) somehow blows this, the 76ers (28-43) aren’t a lock to replace them. The Raptors (26-45) and Wizards (26-45) aren’t officially eliminated, though both also show up as 0.0 percent.
The 76ers, obviously drunk on their win over Milwaukee on Wednesday, are having none of that logic, though. Doug Collins, via John Finger of CSNPhilly.com:
“We’re not done yet. We’re not quitting. We’re going to keep playing,” Collins said. “I never quit before I got to the finish line and I’m not going to start that now. We don’t have that personality. This city and this organization means too much to me and to our players to do that. We have young guys and we’re trying to build a nucleus here of young players.”
“I play for pride every game from game one to game 82,” said Damien Wilkins, who led the Sixers with 18 points, including the game-sealing steal and dunk with 41.7 seconds left. “For me every game means the same. I try to take advantage of every opportunity given.”
“Until the math says we’re out of it, we’re going to keep fighting for it,” Hawes said. “You’re always being watched and you’re always being judged. This season hasn’t gone the way we would have liked, but there’s still some left and we have a bright future ahead.”
This is exactly the attitude the 76ers should take. They’ve fought hard for 71 games. Why stop now?
I mean, they’re not going to make the playoffs, but there’s something admirable about their relentlessness.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 5
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 15
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 66
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 51
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 29
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4