Mar 28, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
Like a lot of players, Amar’e Stoudmire likes being in New York and all the opportunities it presents off the court. Like having a documentary about yourself made, “Amar’e Stoudemire: In the Moment.” Then going on ESPN and some other national outlets to promote said documentary.
And during said interviews, he will inevitably asked about the rehab from a knee surgery, the one that is supposed to have him back right around the start of the playoffs. Here is what Stoudemire said to ESPN, as reported by the New York Post.
“It’s going well,’’ Stoudemire said on ESPN’s SportsCenter. “It’s two weeks in now, so I’ve been able to really recover [and] feel the improvement daily, and I just hope that continues to be the case.”
All of which was news to Knicks coach Mike Woodson. Coaches LOVE it when they learn about their players’ exploits through the media asking them about it.
“He’s been on TV?,’’ Woodson said before the Knicks’ 108-101 victory over the Grizzlies Wednesday night at the Garden. “News to me. I need to tell him to stay off the TV and talk to the coach. I really don’t know. I don’t know what the timetable is on Amar’e. If he’s telling you the rehab is going well, it’s a good sign. How close to playing, I don’t know.’’
You’ve got to love the Knicks.
It doesn’t change the fact Woodson and the Knicks will need Stoudemire and his scoring come the playoffs if they are going to make a serious run. But maybe the two should talk more. Or even just text.
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 0
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 13
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 11
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 19
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 27
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 7
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 36