Mar 28, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
Like a lot of players, Amar’e Stoudmire likes being in New York and all the opportunities it presents off the court. Like having a documentary about yourself made, “Amar’e Stoudemire: In the Moment.” Then going on ESPN and some other national outlets to promote said documentary.
And during said interviews, he will inevitably asked about the rehab from a knee surgery, the one that is supposed to have him back right around the start of the playoffs. Here is what Stoudemire said to ESPN, as reported by the New York Post.
“It’s going well,’’ Stoudemire said on ESPN’s SportsCenter. “It’s two weeks in now, so I’ve been able to really recover [and] feel the improvement daily, and I just hope that continues to be the case.”
All of which was news to Knicks coach Mike Woodson. Coaches LOVE it when they learn about their players’ exploits through the media asking them about it.
“He’s been on TV?,’’ Woodson said before the Knicks’ 108-101 victory over the Grizzlies Wednesday night at the Garden. “News to me. I need to tell him to stay off the TV and talk to the coach. I really don’t know. I don’t know what the timetable is on Amar’e. If he’s telling you the rehab is going well, it’s a good sign. How close to playing, I don’t know.’’
You’ve got to love the Knicks.
It doesn’t change the fact Woodson and the Knicks will need Stoudemire and his scoring come the playoffs if they are going to make a serious run. But maybe the two should talk more. Or even just text.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 9
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 20
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 12