Mar 28, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
Like a lot of players, Amar’e Stoudmire likes being in New York and all the opportunities it presents off the court. Like having a documentary about yourself made, “Amar’e Stoudemire: In the Moment.” Then going on ESPN and some other national outlets to promote said documentary.
And during said interviews, he will inevitably asked about the rehab from a knee surgery, the one that is supposed to have him back right around the start of the playoffs. Here is what Stoudemire said to ESPN, as reported by the New York Post.
“It’s going well,’’ Stoudemire said on ESPN’s SportsCenter. “It’s two weeks in now, so I’ve been able to really recover [and] feel the improvement daily, and I just hope that continues to be the case.”
All of which was news to Knicks coach Mike Woodson. Coaches LOVE it when they learn about their players’ exploits through the media asking them about it.
“He’s been on TV?,’’ Woodson said before the Knicks’ 108-101 victory over the Grizzlies Wednesday night at the Garden. “News to me. I need to tell him to stay off the TV and talk to the coach. I really don’t know. I don’t know what the timetable is on Amar’e. If he’s telling you the rehab is going well, it’s a good sign. How close to playing, I don’t know.’’
You’ve got to love the Knicks.
It doesn’t change the fact Woodson and the Knicks will need Stoudemire and his scoring come the playoffs if they are going to make a serious run. But maybe the two should talk more. Or even just text.
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 24
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 27
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8