Mar 28, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
Like a lot of players, Amar’e Stoudmire likes being in New York and all the opportunities it presents off the court. Like having a documentary about yourself made, “Amar’e Stoudemire: In the Moment.” Then going on ESPN and some other national outlets to promote said documentary.
And during said interviews, he will inevitably asked about the rehab from a knee surgery, the one that is supposed to have him back right around the start of the playoffs. Here is what Stoudemire said to ESPN, as reported by the New York Post.
“It’s going well,’’ Stoudemire said on ESPN’s SportsCenter. “It’s two weeks in now, so I’ve been able to really recover [and] feel the improvement daily, and I just hope that continues to be the case.”
All of which was news to Knicks coach Mike Woodson. Coaches LOVE it when they learn about their players’ exploits through the media asking them about it.
“He’s been on TV?,’’ Woodson said before the Knicks’ 108-101 victory over the Grizzlies Wednesday night at the Garden. “News to me. I need to tell him to stay off the TV and talk to the coach. I really don’t know. I don’t know what the timetable is on Amar’e. If he’s telling you the rehab is going well, it’s a good sign. How close to playing, I don’t know.’’
You’ve got to love the Knicks.
It doesn’t change the fact Woodson and the Knicks will need Stoudemire and his scoring come the playoffs if they are going to make a serious run. But maybe the two should talk more. Or even just text.
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 4
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 4
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 15
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7